Future Slimline Series

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Grim Jeeper, Aug 19, 2019.

1. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

One of the primary advantages of Glocks is the amount of gripping surface they provide, especially at the top of the back strap. Single stack frames defeat that advantage.

jr24 likes this.
  2. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

I’m learning this in a very real way. The 48 has been a great adventure in trigger control, and I’m all in for my Timmy usage because it feels so comfortable riding my my crotchline.

But, it almost feels like I’m shooting SHO, and trying unsuccessfully to squish my wet noodle dominant fingers with my support hand. There just really isn’t much real estate left over for my support hand skin to touch polymer. If Glock offered a medium and large backstrap for the 48, I’d order one tomorrow. Instantly create more trigger reach and more importantly free up space for support hand to dig in.

jr24 likes this.

3. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO 10-42

I have owned the G42, G43, G36, and the M&P Shield, in addition to numerous 1911's over the years. Even as comfortable/convenient they are, I always feel underprepared with them. I really don't understand the popularity of these single stack pistols with their low round counts.

To each his/her own though. I really don't have a wish list for Glock. As a .40 shooter, I am happy with their Gen 4 design, and don't see anything in the Gen 5 features that would cause me to run out and buy one.

So, while I don't favor the newest offerings, I am happy that they are pumping them out, just as long as they keep the Gen 4 guns available in chamberings otber than 9mm.

Trower67 likes this.
  4. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

This is one reason I never moved off of gen3 Glocks.

With Glocks, my main index emphasis is under the trigger guard. When I started developing the Tanfo, that area felt very insecure at first, due to it being about half as wide, slightly radiused, and the much greater overall mass of the gun.

The beavertail initially made it more difficult for me to fully exploit the backstrap, so my emphasis migrated back there. But in both cases, most of my grip pressure is fore/aft between those 2 points. As with a paring cut, there's a primary force (pushing muzzle/blade down) and a secondary force (trigger guard index/thumb) pressing against it.

With the Tanfo, I have a very strong sensation of the web of my thumb engaging like a yoke around the backstrap. I want that area to be as wide as practically tolerable. That's one of the primary features that makes the gun track vertically on faster splits.

One of the things I wanted to explore with the SA trigger and heavier gun was getting the whole mount to reciprocate on a natural period during splits. For me, the Tanfo's more rearward Cg works better in that regard than the Shadow's radical forward bias and slender backstrap.

008s.jpg 014s.jpg

I think the wide backstrap and rearward bias make it easier to transition the gun back and forth between firing (where the grip is clamped down hard) and reloading (where the grip is very relaxed).

As a side project, I've been trying to get a triple Bill on steel into 4's. Going back/forth between dry and live really demonstrates the importance of being in tune with all the balance relationships.

So the 5.0 par is just a 0.75 draw, two 1.0 reloads and straight 0.15 splits. Those elements are easy enough individually, but it's pretty challenging to link them all into 1 mechanical sequence. The idea is to resist the temptation to "go fast" on anything, and put all the effort/focus onto letting things happen at their natural mechanical rates.

It's one thing to master that in on-demand dry fire, but I think quite another to master it live. The live gun creates a small amount of psychological tension, and it's pretty difficult to move in and out of that mode without adding little compensatory mechanics in the process.

Anyway, that's kind of a blend of hardware, software and party tricks...

View: https://youtu.be/51yn5uMUIbs

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  5. paragon1

paragon1

That’s ridiculous. I shoot my 48 better than my 19. Way better. Just easier to shoot.

Matter of fact I’m dumping my Gen 5MOS and getting a cut on my 48.

6. jr24

jr24

That's rediculous, I do the opposite.

Ain't anecdotes grand?

My hands are too big to grip slim guns properly, I need meat to fully grip right.

7. JGIORD

JGIORD

Well I have small hands. Have the 43, 43x and 48 and I prefer the feel, balance and recoil of the 48 over all of them.

I just added Talon grips, the sand paper ones and this gun now is glued to my hand. Although I just picked up a CZ P-10 S, which may give it some competition. :)

8. Neal

Neal Millennium Member

When I bought my 48, I recall thinking about how I wish the same gun were available in 40 S&W and/or 357 SIG. However, the slide mass would probably have to be increased due to the increased recoil impulse of the more potent calibers. It they make it, even if it's a couple ounces heavier, I will buy one. You betcha! The 48 fits my hand better than any other Glock, and I have owned a bunch of them.

9. GRR

GRR

My idea of a slim line would be a gen4 G21S (like the 41).