close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Future Plans for Glocktalk?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by Loudmaxima, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Loudmaxima

Loudmaxima Got Glock?

Hey Eric.
    Take a look at www.spymac.com

If you see what this board is doing, they're offering e-mail addresses, webspace and galleries all for free when you join!
    They're even offering POP3 and webmail!! user@spymac.com

Glocktalk might be able to pull something like this off.

The front page of GT claims to have 31,525 members.
    Let's assume 10% of those people would pay for the above type of service....that's 3100 members.
    Charge them something like $20 a year and you could be looking at $62k a year!

Just something to think about as GT grows. I've been here for 4 years and you've done an outstanding job!

Also, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wouldn't mind a @glocktalk.com e-mail address! :)

Charles

2. Biscuitsjam

Biscuitsjam

I have an email address through my cousin's website where everything is simply redirected to my main address. Nothing is even stored on his server, but I can use it for anything I want. If I were to start getting spam to it, I could close it or redirect it somewhere else. It costs him little, but I can keep it even if I lose or cancel my main email address (a very real concern for @isp or @edu addresses).

A fullfledged email address with a webpage to check or send email would be more valuable. I don't know how much it would cost to license all the software, pay for the storage space, and maintain it though.

Webspace and galleries would be nice, but they can quickly eat up storage space and bandwidth. However, it is often very difficult to find a place to host a handful of pictures if you find you need to put them on a forum post. Limited webspace/galleries could be very useful.

Additionally, I'd recommend recognizing users that subscribe to membership (similar to the various symbols next to names at DSLreports.com).

-Biscuits