Furniture bullet penetration test

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Glolt20-91, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

With home invasions being what they are, I thought it would be interesting to test some JHP loads against cushioned furniture. An old recliner was put to good use, first round G20 SF, 165gr Golden Saber/Longshot @1398fps/716fpe, ES 27fps.

Since water and ballistic gel typically yield similar expansion results, a number of one gallon water bottles were lined up in a metal cradle behind the back of the recliner.

[​IMG]

The Golden Saber did not clog as it penetrated what appeared to be some sort of polyester cushion, jacket separated in #2 bottle and lead core (0.682" expansion) penetrated #3 bottle, struck the plastic of #4 bottle and bounced off, landing on the ground about 4 feet away, following pic;

[​IMG]

Having experimented with a number of barrier tests in the past, I was dismayed by the 10mm/165gr GS penetration performance.

Since there were only enough water bottles for one more test, I chose to use a G17/147gr Gold Dot/3N38 load at 1155fps/435fpe, ES 36fps. This load is slightly faster than Double Tap's, but basically replicates Double Tap's MV. I wanted to answer a sectional density/velocity question as it relates to penetration.

[​IMG]

Not only did the 147gr GD penetrate the fabric/polyester cushion, it also penetrated a 1/8" foam clad 1.25" wood frame, three one gallon bottles plus the upper part of a thick plastic Tide detergent bottle, bullet not recoverd. Gauging from the sized holes in plastic, the 147gr GD expanded to about 5/8".

[​IMG]

Both bullets passed the furniture barrier test w/o clogging. Apparently, as the Golden Saber bullet jacket expanded allowing the lead core to separate, it decelerated faster than the drag force on the 147gr Gold Dot.

When bottle inventory increases, there's a few more tests I'd like to run.

There's a number of different handgun caliber/bullet weights I can test, if there are any requests that I can accommodate, I'd be happy to do so.

Lesson learned thus far, furniture may not give the home owner, or felon(s), protection during a home invasion scenario.

Bob :cowboy:

2. Iceman cHucK

Iceman cHucK

Try some ole 45 230fmj when you get plenty of bottles.

3. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

I can do that. :supergrin:

240gr hardcast from a .44 Special snubbie penetrated 8+ bottles, 9mm/115 FMJ only 6 bottles from a G17.

4. mclaren

mclaren

I know all about bottle supply. I get ants in my pants and use too few because its all we have. It sucks to lose those pretty expanded slugs. It usually ruins my day.

Must find a more renewable way to test.

5. fredj338

fredj338

Good test! Hard cast lead bullets are tough to stop. A 280grLSWC from my 45colt @ 1000fps isn't even slowed down by 12" of wetpack & two 1gal water jugs!

6. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Deleted

CanyonMan

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  7. 481

Bob,

Hadn't heard from you for a little while and now I know why. You've been shooting up your living room furniture. Nice... :winkie:

All humor aside, this was a pretty informative test. Looks like furniture is "concealment" at best and a bad idea for the purpose of "cover".

Maybe you could try this through differerent parts of the chair, too. Y'know, introduce some of the frame to the bullet's paths, maybe see a little deflection, plug the JHPs with wood and see if they still perform as FMJs once they hit the water jugs.

Wouldn't mind seeing my favorite load the (the Hornady 9mm 147 gr. XTP) evaluated against this task but if you've other ideas that's cool, too.

Just make sure that you post more pictures regardless of what you ultimately decide to do, OK? This was neat. Thanks for doing it.

8. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

I have a good supply of 147gr XTPs and can compare factory MV vs the 3N38 load. I just may go to Walmart and buy about 3 dozen plastic bottles and do more comprehensive testing, including the recliner base that includes metal and wood framing.

9. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

Gotta love the big bores. That looks like a brutal load you have there that's also easy on the hands.

10. 481

Bob,

That would be most awesome. Looking forward to seeing results.

Gettin' 1155 fps/ 435 fpe from the 3N38 with the 147 gr. XTPs? That's screaming for what oughta be a subsonic JHP. Bet expansion at that velocity is a little more "vigorous" :winkie: , too.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  11. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Bob,

Good test, bro.

12. Iceman cHucK

Iceman cHucK

I think you have just invented a whole new protocall of real world testing. The FBI should take notice. Just think of the possibilities. Ballistic gel is finally obsolete! Now we can have 4 layers of lounge chairs followed by an oak rocker and pillow. Multiple levels of concealment before becoming cover as a fuction of calibre ,bullet weight, and velocity. We now have the "LAZYBOY" Taylor knockout lounge test. This is getting fun :rofl:

13. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

I can't believe this hasn't been said yet...

The next time a recliner and a group of water jugs attacks me, then I'll use your information you posted here! Nothing beats the gello, that's why the FBI uses it! 147 Gr. 9MM, what's wrong with you?!?! Have you lost your mind? That's a lawsuit waiting to happen! They suck!

:supergrin::rofl::tongueout::wavey:

14. glocksterr

glocksterr DirtyGlockHippy

i think the GS does not get enough credit for its consistant expansion.

15. ssfeldjager

ssfeldjager

Yeah, I had a La-Z-Boy with his Islamic Ottoman buddy charge me once. They darn near got me too, since they sneaked up behind me. But I got them; double tapped both with Win 147gr hp's! They never tried that again! :supergrin:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  16. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

It's always nice to see 9mm beat 10mm!!!:tongueout:

Instead of bottles, maybe gallon size plastic freezer bags full of water would be easier and cheaper? Of course, a frame would have to hold them upright and lined up.

Thanks for doing the test, and reporting on it.:wavey:

17. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

Any bets on Winchester 230gr FMJ vs this 147gr Gold Dot??? :supergrin:

18. Glolt20-91

Glolt20-91

That's cool, as I wrote, ballistic gel and water both give about the same expansion. Once we know a bullet's expansion diameter, velocity and weight; we can use Duncan MacPherson's ballistic tables to extrapolate gel penetration. . . . so there :tongueout::supergrin:

19. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

I just seriously LOL'ed!!!

That was a good test! Thank you for sharing with the rest of us!

SOMEBODY CALL 911!!! MY CHAIR'S ATTACKING ME!!! :wow:

20. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

I got 10 that says the 147 GDHP out penetrates the 230 FMJ.

:whistling: