Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
XD40 Service
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which was probably time anyway, since I THINK it was from the 1940's or 1950's.
So we got a Brand New one installed, which is supposedly 90% or 95% efficient.(or sol they tell us) how they measure that I have no idea.

Anyway, I have a question, the Furance that was just installed is a Gibson Natural Gas Furnace. Those who installed it told me that there is no longer a pilot light and that it is electronically lit....which I didnt think much of at the time. However, after that Sunk in, I got to wondering, WHAT IF, we had a power outage in a snowstorm...I didnt use to think much about it cause we'd have heat, but now, uh...:dunno:.can anyone ease my mind on this?
thanks

·
Sarcasm Inc.
16,084 Posts
If you had a power outage the furnace wouldn't work,it takes electricity to run the blower and the thermostat

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Didn't you get an instruction manual with the furnace?

·
NRA Patron Life Member
13,520 Posts
If you had a power outage the furnace wouldn't work,it takes electricity to run the blower and the thermostat
This, plus the electricity needed to spark the (gas) furnace.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
I remember the blizzard we had here,power outage for a week.

NOTHING worked,no hot water heater,no furnace,nadda.

We had a fireplace that ran just fine.We cooked,heated the house and water with it.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I made sure I had a fireplace when I built my new house. I'll have a way to heat the house enough to keep it habitable and to keep the water lines from freezing.

OP, on the other hand, would need to start burning furniture to keep his house warm.

·
Registered
30,883 Posts
Big buddy heater. Get one for power outages.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Big buddy heater. Get one for power outages.
Yup, they work like a charm. I also have a big dual head propane heater that mounts on my 20lb BBQ propane tanks.

Our furnace died last week, new Lennox 98% efficient unit should be in Monday...installed Tuesday.
It's been below zero here for a couple of days.....space heaters working pretty well, keeping the house at about 68 without working too hard.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah my furnance will definitely need replaced next year. We really shouldn't be using it this year but what are you gonna do.
I know the feeling. When we bought our house 5 years ago we were told the heater was a piece of junk. It's been on our "to do" list every since.
Of course it is like many things in life. If you wait until you can "afford it" you will never get it done. Could have replaced our heater 10 times with all the money I've spent on stupid crap over the last 5 years......but as long as it works I'll just keep using it ya know?
Well it it finally died, bill to fix it would have been about 600 bucks. Said to hell with it, now is as good a time as any. Gettin the top of the line Lennox 98% efficient furnace with the AC coil installed for 4,300 bucks.
Then later this summer when it's 90 degrees outside it will be easier,and cheaper to have the outside part of the AC system put in place. Kind of hard now with the ground being frozen and under a couple feet of snow.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Mine went out for a little bit for a few different reasons. I was lucky my grandfather (who owned the house before me) had a wood burning stove in the basement. Its hooked into the exhaust for the heater.

·
Registered
237 Posts
There isn't a furnace out there that will work with out power. You need power to open the gas valve and operate everything else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts