Funny Stuff..Training my GSD to bark

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by TapRackBang73, Jul 7, 2007.

1. TapRackBang73

TapRackBang73 Packin Preacher

So i have a 13 week old GSD and I was trying to teach him how to bark are command. Nothing was working. i tried toys...i tried teasing him with treats...NOTHING WORKED. Until one day my wife was ironing and steam shot out of the iron...he started barking like crazy...He wanted to show the iron who was boss. So i started using the iron to train him...it worked like a charm. I thought you guys might appreciate this. I may develop a whole new training philosophy based on irons? maybe not.

2. HSJREV

HSJREV

Back when I had a Rhodesian Ridgeback, I used clearing my throat as a "secret signal" for him to start barking. Only trouble is, I didn't realize how many times I inadvertantly clear my throat throughout the day. I'd be talking on the phone or hanging out in the front yard with the neighbors and do it without thinking and the dog would go nuts for a few seconds barking and growling and acting tough. Of course after a few seconds of barking he would look at me and wag his tail expecting praise. I'm sure the neighbors thought we were both crazy.

3. kickadeepi

kickadeepi Guest

^_^ yeah with your iron concept, most dogs don't like high pitched things so the tend to bark or howl at them! Too funny! ^_^:rofl:

4. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

The trick to training both my GSDs to speak on command was to get them in a small enclosed space, like a hallway half bathroom. My ex-girlfriend trained one of my puppies a few years ago within a few minutes while we were taking a one-hour drive for a weekend cabin get-away. She was in the passenger seat with the dog on the floor. IIRC, she just kept teasing and picking at the pup while repeating the command - as soon as she barked, she got a treat. Rinse and repeat. My second GSD was taught in the same manner in a hallway bathroom by me.