close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Funny little shooting story today.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by M2 Carbine, Jan 2, 2010.

1. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I've made some recent posts about a couple girls I've been teaching to shoot.

Today the two girls, three brothers, father and I spent a few hours on the range and had a good ole time.

I got an idea for a target and we tried it out today. It's just 4 to 6 8.5x11 inch targets stapled to cardboard, each hanging from a single string. This allows them to swing and turn. It turned out to be a fun interesting target, as several targets may turn toward you at the same time and you try to hit them all before they turn away again. As they twist and turn in the wind it can make for some fast shooting.

Anyhow, the two girls were shooting 38 J Frame Smiths at 8.5x11 inch silhouettes and head targets and the brothers were shooting at the turning targets. I was just standing behind the girls watching them shoot.
    [​IMG]

The girl on the right told me she shot at her brother's turning target and he didn't see it.
    I told her, "Shoot the string. Aim where the string is tied to the cardboard."
    And darn if she didn't hit the string with the next shot.:supergrin:

We're looking at the the brother saying, "I don't know what happened. I wasn't even shooting at that target!". :rofl:
    [​IMG]

Even though there was some good shooting today, we declared that shooting a moving string with the first shot from a 3 inch J Frame was "The Shot Of The Day".

BTW, for anyone that's interested in getting one. About 400 rounds was run through my new SIG 522 today without a problem, except a couple duds from the Wal Mart bulk pack 22 ammo.
    [​IMG]

2. bob_fuller

bob_fuller

that's a good shot in my book for sure

3. den888

den888

Sounds like a lot of fun !!!

4. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

Seen one of them 522's at a gun show this morning. I thought about picking it up, but they were quite a bit over priced. I might just order one.

Glad you had fun Buck.

5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

That one cost $449 at a Ft Worth show recently but two other dealers were higher, up to almost $600.

6. NAS T MAG

NAS T MAG

7. raven11

raven11

these glowing range reports about the SIG 522 are making me want to get one bad :rofl::rofl:

8. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Everyone is shooting mine except me. I had 11 loaded magazines today when we started and my friends were steady reloading magazines as they took turns shooting. I was the camera man.
    But that's OK. It's fun watching them shoot.:supergrin:

9. raven11

raven11

M2 we should start calling your back yard "The M2 Carbine shooting academy":supergrin:

10. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

i have the same camo jacket,

along with the same carhartt :supergrin:

11. Minnow

Minnow

I like seeing the young shooters having a ball! Good job M2...

12. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Their shooting aside, I can't believe the eyesight young people have. It's one thing to shoot a small target but entirely different to just see that small target at a distance.

Wish I were young again.

13. DonD

DonD

Always fun to read of your exploits, Buck and your efforts to introduce new shooters to the fun of firearms is great.

Like probably 99.9% of this forums users, we wish we had a range like yours in our backyard. Have a good New Year. Don

14. Berto

Berto woo woo

Great as always, M2.

<------Still waiting for Laser snubby at 100yrds.:supergrin:

15. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

The first chance I get.:)

You might have seen where the other evening I sighted in on a electric pole 95 yards away and was surprised I could hold the laser on the pole.

Yesterday evening I thought about trying a few rounds at 52 yards with the CT J Frame. I was teaching one of the girls how to use the laser and thought about it but by then we were all getting a little chilled and ready to quit.

16. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

It looks like you had lots of fun.:cool:

17. deputy tom

deputy tom

M2,I always enjoy your shooting threads especially with pictures.Those students of yours are very lucky to have a person like you to show them the correct ways of shooting.You can't argue with the results.tom.:cool:

18. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

M2, I'm still trying to recover the costs from the s&w 15-22 one of your threads convinced me to buy a couple of months ago. I'm pretty tuckered out on .22s (I own 9 now including pistols and bought 6 of them in 2009). I would like to try out the sig 516 though.

Absolutely great thing you're doing getting the youngsters out there engaged with shooting. Not sure who had more fun, them shooting or you sitting back and watching them pull the trigger then look up and smile LOL!

19. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

That always scares me. I like to post the good or bad experience I have with guns and equipment but I try to stop short of recommending anything.
    As sure as I do the person will get something that turns out to have all kinds of problems.
    I hope you are happy with the Smith. I like mine.:)

Yeah, I really enjoy watching them shoot and the sense of pride they have when they do well.

I have an idea that before long the girl's father and even her mother might come out one day to watch her shoot. Maybe they might even want to try shooting a pistol.
    Who can resist when they see their kids having this much fun.
    [​IMG]

Now don't get on me about the picture, we checked the guns.:)

20. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

M2, no issues with the 15-22 I like it fine. (unrelated) I did learn you have to be careful loading the mags or you could run into failure to feed issues.

I may have misrepresented my situation by saying "recover the cost". Just hard to justify it as my discretionary spending budget seems to be shrinking by the day! If I didn't impulse buy guns I might not have any, or far far fewer! lol.