Funny Craigslist ad

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Eyescream, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/crs/1525534132.html

Brilliant satire.

2. Berto

Berto woo woo

...Or an Asian person, being serious.

3. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

The consensus on the forum I found it is a pro photographer making fun.

4. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

THIS IS NO JOKE!

I am a pro photographer in Salt Lake City. Girls like this are all over Utah. We call them Hundred Dollar Wonders. For $100.00 they will shoot a wedding and burn it to disc. They have no clue what they are doing. I met one at a popular spot for engagement photos. She was shooting into the sun and the couple were just a black silhouette. I asked how she was metering and she told me she didn't need to because her camera had "P" (pro) mode.:rofl:

Trust me. I believe this add to be real! I am a member of PPA (Professional Photographers of America) and IPPA (Intermountain Professional Photographers Association) We are running into them all the time. They think that because they are shooting digital and have a computer with photoshop they don't need any training at all.

Like I said This is real! Even if this particular add is a gag these "photographers" are really out there. Salt Lake is loaded with them because of the large number of weddings done here.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  5. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I absolutely believe people think like that.

6. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

I specialize in all types of Lifestyle photography including:

Weddings – You'll have to pay $15 for gas money outside of Salt Lake City
    Bridals
    Engagements
    Families
    Children
    Portraiture
    Fashion

Wow just getting started and already specialized huh?

7. LongGoneDays

LongGoneDays Misanthropical

Sounds like a prostitute looking for a couple.

8. ILannoyed

ILannoyed

Our professional wedding photographers were utter crap even though their portfolio looked great. I personally believe that when you slap the word "wedding" in front of any service the price goes up 50%, even for what would be the same work otherwise.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  9. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I do just about everything EXCEPT weddings. Bridezilla is not my cup of tea.

My wife just read the add and started laughing. She has met so many like that.

10. major

major Rejected member

I don't doubt that if this is a real ad, this person will get some calls and some business. I have been to several weddings where the people didn't have very much money and "Uncle Fred" or someone else who "owned a nice camera" made the photos. I've also seen some of their albums after the fact and, more times than not, the happy couple were pleased with the photos (even though they were obviously amateurish).

Just saying that there is a definite market for this sort of thing.

11. Berto

Berto woo woo

That sunset one was damn good.:supergrin:

12. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

If I had the equipment and the experience, I would love shooting weddings but I feed off pressure. I know, I'm weird. :dunno:

Stuff like this is what is killing the wedding photography business. Anybody who shoots enough weddings, even if it's almost all total crap, will luck enough good shots to put together a portfolio eventually.

13. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

No shortage of those in SLC.

14. jp3975

jp3975

There are so many kids these days who have photography as an interest and will post ads like that to make quick cash doing something they have little experiance with but an interest in doing.

15. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

If you list 7 different categories of thing you "specialize" in, does it really count as specializing? :dunno:

16. 2afreedom

2afreedom

I have to agree with you in some cases. I have a good friend who hired a "professional" photographer to do his wedding and it turned out that his family took better pictures than the photographer did. On the other hand I am sure that there are some really good pros out there. I often wonder if the professional photographer is headed the way of the TV repairman (extinct) due to the explosion of cheap and good digital photography equipment. The pro may take better pictures but at 10-20 times the price of the "$100 wonders" a lot of people aren't going to be willing to pay the difference. I would be very hesitant to use the services of any photographer who would copyright my photos-even if I buy the pictures off of them at the time I would want to be able to make prints ten years later without tracking them down and paying them again. No offense intended to any photographers out there. :wavey:

17. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Pros are not going away. You get what you pay for and some people want good images not just snapshots and they are willing to pay for it. There are things that set a great photograph apart from a fair one. An amateur might get lucky but a true pro can nail it every time. If someone is happy with a $29.95 16X20 family portrait in a $9.95 walmart frame from some kid who has no idea what he is doing, good for them. But a guy who makes $250,000 a year and lives in a million dollar house is willing to drop a few thousand on a 30X40 or 40X60 family portrait in a custom frame. One is just an image of a family and the other is truly a piece of art.

18. vafish

vafish

19. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

I am fairly sure that ad was written by a pro (or someone with enough knowledge of the biz) as a gag. I have seen similar things posted in jest on several photography forums.

Greg