close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

funny car stories, racing, cop, and otherwise

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Bill Powell, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Bill Powell

Bill Powell Cross Member CLM

At the 1967 Le Mans 24 hour Dan Gurney and AJ Foyt were teamed in a Ford GT 40. They'd both been adversaries at Indy a couple of weeks before.

Bruce McClaren had set up the chassis for what he hoped would work. One of them took the car out (Gurney, I think) and came in with a long list of chassis adjustments to make it handle.
    Then Foyt went out and came in with his own list of chassis changes.

By the time they were finished there were not two tires pointing the same direction. After Gurney and Foyt went to the hotel the crew chief told the crew to set the car back up the way McClaren had it.

They won the race by a wide margin, and after the race were praising the way the car handled.

If anyone has any I would love to hear them.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  2. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

All the ones I have would lose someone a job as the participants are still active in the industry.

3. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

In his will, Colin Chapman left Lotus to his cats.

Indian police bikes had lefthand throttles so officers could fire their sidearm while riding.

The AMC Pacer's rocker cover could only be removed by placing the windshield wipers at 12 o'clock.

HH

4. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

Doesn't surprise me in the least. I had a '58 AMC Rambler, got a flat. After 2hrs of struggling, cursing... I realized the damn thing's lugs are reverse-threaded. You had to turn the nuts to the right to loosen them.
    :brickwall:

5. Hour13

Hour13 Tah-dah!

Legend has it Mr Shelby came up with the "GT350" moniker by having an assistant go outside and count how many steps to the next building.
    "350 steps sir."

In what was nearly a disaster of a move, Ford's "Probe" was originally billed as the next Mustang platform. IMO, the name "Probe" was probably a nod to how the metric tons of hate-mail from Mustang fans left them feeling.

Starting typing out one of my own funny memories, but it's a bit soon to get this thread locked. Will think of a different one to share.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  6. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Bulllllll sheeeeeet.

7. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

Blatant cheating in the past 10 years.

But I do remember Jag at LeMans in the late 80s changing out a fuel rail or the like before the race while on the grid(not supposed to be done) by a crewmember putting a tarp over the rear end during pictures and one member being under it with the rest of the crew standing around.

8. Bill Powell

I was talking to Bobby Unser at Amelia Island one day and he was talking about how they used build those old indy roadsters. Stuff like packing the tubes full of sand and heating them with a torch to make the bend.

I told him about my cousin. He needed to build some bent tubles for a sand buggy he was working on. I showed him how to do the sand pack and heat method of tube bending. I saw him the next day and he wanted to kick my butt. He looked like he had been shot in the face by a shotgun.

He did everything I told him, and when the tube got red it exploded, and he got a face full of pipe fragments and hot sand. For months it looked like he had some kind of pox.

I told him that I assumed he'd use dry sand, but dumb *** used wet river bottom sand and it had a steam explosion.

9. oceanwarrior

oceanwarrior

When they started importing the first Toyota cars,all of them were converted right-hand drive cars.
    Toyota solved the left-hand drive conversion by putting a linkage that ran right to left under the dash.
    You could wedge your foot under the linkage and rev up the engine from the passenger side.
    This was fun if you were the passenger and the driver came up next to a Police car!!!

Also,the first Honda Civics were so small we had a great time carrying them around and putting them where they were never meant to be.

Remember the first Mazda rotary engine cars?
    They had no steering lock so if you you turned off the ignition when the car was moving in gear and turned it back on,you got the LOUDEST backfire out of the exhaust.
    Great fun doing that when you came up to a cop daydreaming in his car.

I wonder how the Police put with us in those days,but they had a sense of humor and we got along fine.

oceanwarrior

10. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

My first lessons with cars (long ago) was to learn that Chrysler products used to have lug nuts on one side of the car unscrewed clockwise and counter-clockwise for the other side.

11. VANWALL

VANWALL

When Dan Gurney and AJ Foyt were celebrating their win Dan was so happy he sprayed the crowd with champagne. This was the first time this happened.

12. jasonvp

jasonvp Kantre Member Lifetime Member

...as opposed to now: I'm just dumber:

I was in my fairly highly modified 1999 Corvette coupe one Saturday evening, and found myself on an open stretch of road here in Northern VA. Which road, and where... well, I'll just leave that unwritten. :)

The speed limit on this stretch of road is way under-posted for what it's safe for, and I was cruising along at +10. A crotch rocket zipped up behind me, moved into the left lane, zipped past me, and pulled back into my lane. I thought, "Ya know, with the power this thing's putting out (at the time), there are only a very few crotch rockets that can actually out-accelerate me."

So I dropped a gear and caught up with him. He accelerated, I stayed with him. I glanced at my speedo and saw 110MPH, and nothing on the road with us at all.

What happened next is something that's still burned into my mind: the motorcycle driver stood up at +100MPH, looked over his shoulder at me, sat back down, kicked it down a gear and..

BLAM!

..he was gone.

OK: so he's on one of those bikes that can outrun me.

In the corner of my left eye, I noticed a flash. What the he... As I looked in my mirror I saw an officer, lights blinking, siren roaring, speeding up my tailpipe in the left lane. I figured I was toast. He's made his quota for the year with me. I kicked the car out of gear and slow down gently to sane speeds....

..and the trooper roared by me. Thank God for tunnel vision! He was so intently locked onto that bike that he totally missed the red Corvette roaring down the road in front of him at over 100MPH.

And there's no chance in HELL he was going to catch that bike, either. The rider was literally gone. He probably found some right turn way down the road and disappeared.

jas

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  13. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

So I was driving home from work late one night in my 911. I pull up to a light and a kid in a little honda with a big muffler pulls up next to me. As we wait for the green he keeps revving his engine and inching forward challenging me to a drag race.

The light turns green and he stomps on it. I did nothing and just waited for him to get away from me. The car behind me pulled up along side of me and the guy in it looked over at me and I just shrugged my shoulders and started to drive off. Then the car next to me lit up the reds and blues and blasted past me.

A few blocks later he had the kid pulled over. As I passed the kid had a look of "what did I do" on his face.

I like cops and hate street racers. Love to help them meet.:supergrin:

14. VANWALL

VANWALL

One of the stories I heard on this race was that Dan and AJ had a large lead going into the late night hours. A Ferrari which was many laps down was trying to get (either Dan or AJ I don't know which) to race him. He wanted to run the Ford hard and maybe break it.

Well the Ford slowed down, the Ferrari slowed down. Eventually the Ford pulled off to the side of the course. The Ferrari pulled off behind him. This was before in car radio's. The people in the pits were having a kitten. The Ford and Ferrari were both past due based on lap times.

After a short time the Ferrari pulled out and continued. The Ford continued and won the race.

I also read an article that the weak point on the Ford's was the brakes. AJ and Dan got together and agreed to go easy on the brakes for the race.

15. Bill Powell

VANWALL, awhile ago I made the wrong statement that BRM had made a 1-1/2 flat 16 and Vanwall had built a 1-1/2 liter V16 and you corrected me.

Well, I finally remembered the answer. BRM buiilt both engines. The V16 had two eshaust pipes about the size of your thumb per cylinder which merged into a pipe about one inch which in turn joined the main tube. You can hear it run on google.

16. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

Sometime around 2000 I was pulling into a Chik-Fil-A with my 1985 S-10 when suddenly the rear end launched off the ground! Everything seemed okay mechanically and I partially regained my composure as I pulled into the nearest parking spot. I walked back to the driveway to see what I'd hit. Turns out that just as I'd pulled in, the stud that held the spare under the bed had snapped, dropping a 235-75R15, which I then ran over. :supergrin:

Of course, I picked it up, tossed it in the bed of the truck and continued in for a tasty sandwich.

17. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Funny. Bikes in 1985 were running 10 second 1/4 miles stock.

You were not very well informed "at the time".

-Dana

18. southernshooter

southernshooter

When I was young, in the National Guard, we all had fast cars. We carpooled and 4 of us were in one of the guys new Road Runner. We were coming back from drill running about 90 and one of the guys says "Uh oh, we just passed a highway patrol car backed into the woods" He was so far back that he was just a dot. Guy floored the Road Runner, I think the valves floated out at about 115 mph. Pretty soon, the chevy highway patrol car started getting bigger and bigger. Pulled us over. Took the driver to his car. Cop came back a few minutes later "Can you guys drive his car home?" We said "yes sir, why can't he drive it?" "He'll be going to jail at this time" Oh yeah, looking at the chevy as we drove his car off, emblem on the side said "427" Next drill he was saying "Road runner is a pos, getting run down from a dead stop like that.

19. Bill Powell

A guy I worked with was going to Las Vegas in a '67 427 435HP Vette and as he was heading out of Kingman Az he was doing about 135 when he passed a state cop. He figured he'd be in Nevada before the guy could get his engine started. About the time he finished the thought his mirror grew headlights, and then the mirrors grew a grille, and then the grilled grew a body with rotating red lights on the roof.

He was stunned at how fast that guy reeled him in. 427 Chevy pursuit car, and it pursued good.

20. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

I watched Kenny Bernstein rear end another car in a parking lot.

I was at the drags in Seattle at SIR and Kenny was in a lot with other dragsters, autos and tents. He was in his top fuel and there was a car blocking where he needed to pull into. He got out of the dragster to move the car (why, I still can't figure out) and when he pulled the car forward, he hit the car in front of the one he was in, trying to get around it.

I was in the crowd who saw it and we all were laughing about the irony of it, Kenny was laughing to.