close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fundraising idea/question for the mods/admins, and members of GT

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by eingeist, Jan 30, 2007.

1. eingeist

eingeist

In light of the recent post on TVs, and my mis-understanding of credit card debt, which has set me in the hole almost $2,400. I have an idea..

I have recently started to pursue a different degree in college. I am a 21 year old college student turning 22 next month. Like a lot of people my age, a part time job barely pays the bills. I was a photography major and finished my two year degree here in Daytona Beach. I started to get into photography as a profession with great ambition, only to realize a very short year later, my business was to be dissolved, and I made maybe $400 profit the previous year from photography. I tried to support myself and make a transition into full time photography but it was too risky. Bills came up too soon, and ends barely met.
    Now, being back in college, part time for now. I barely have any time to do much of anything, watch my TV I spent $1,500 on, or shoot my guns ive spent almost $1,600 on.
    I decided a while ago, while I love my guns and I love my TV, I need to concentrate more on school, and get my act together. While both of my pistols are very special to me, especially my Kimber which all of my friends and girlfriend had pitched in for for my 21st birthday, I am debating on wether it would be a wise decision to sell these personal, and sentimental belongings to benefit my education, seeing as I would not have the monthly bill which never seems to reduce my balance.
    I understand that this is a mistake that a lot of younger people make in their lives, but like they say; hindsight is always 20/20.
    My question for the Mods, Admins, Eric, and the other GTers, is would it be feasible, and within the forum rules to post a sort of raffle?
    I figure if people chipped in X amount of dollars and a certain number of people paid for a "ticket," that these things could be prizes. My goal would to be debt-free from the credit card, and ease my mind and finances a bit while back in college.
    If you do the math, just under 250 people would have to donate $10 to the raffle. That seems like a lot to me, and I am not sure that many members here would participate.
    I also assume I would have to become a site sponsor to do this. I was thinking, any profit made beyond my credit card debt could be donated to Eric and Glocktalk for allowing me to do this.

My questions are as follows:
    1) Would this violate the agreements of the site? Or could this work given the sponsorship of the site?

2) Would this many people even be willing to donate to a raffle that potentially has odds of approximately 1 in 84, at $10 per ticket?

3) Would I be better off (if the answer to the 1st question is yes) doing this on a smaller scale (say, 1 pistol) to raise money to pay off a portion of debt? I could say, cap my profits off at $600, and the remaining profits could be donated to GT?

Anyway, I know that my buying decision on the television was a terrible idea last year, but after my first professional photo gig I had, I had very high expectations and treated myself a bit extravagantly. The same goes for the H&K USP compact .40.

If this wont work, or if anyone has any other suggestions for a kid in college, on how to manage this situation, any input is appreciated.

Thank you guys and sorry to be so long winded!
    The credit card debt is a nuisance but I know everyone has it, and if I have to I will just have to suck it up and deal with it. But maybe something like this could work?

2. proactive

proactive

1. Sell your HK in the want ads on this site. Apply 95% of sale to debt. Donate 5% of sale to Glocktalk!
    2. Sell the TV on craigslist. Apply 100% of sale to debt.
    3. KEEP THE KIMBER! Your friends getting together and buying you a quality 1911 might not happen again ever.

3. eingeist

eingeist

Yes, the 10 minutes since i've posted this I've already realized that I just can't give up the Kimber.

But I guess you're right, I have a habit of making things more complicated than they need to be. heh

4. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

eingeist,

Sorry to hear of your financial woes.

I'll be watching this thread with great interest.

If you get the green light on a raffle, I'm headin' to the wimmins forum and starting a "Win a date with itisbruno" raffle...... :supergrin:

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana::banana: :banana::banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

5. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

Hello. I have allowed similar ideas to this to go forward in the past and they did not work out well. I appreciate your interest in helping to support Glock Talk, but I cannot allow this raffle to go forward. If you list the items you are selling in GT's Classified Ads forums, I think you will get plenty of exposure. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help. Eric

6. eingeist

eingeist

Yes and I have realized that is the more rational decision anyway.
    Like I stated above, I tend to have a habit of making things more complicated than they need to be.
    Is that a character flaw? :headscratch:

Thanks anyway! :wavey: