Glock Talk banner

Fundamentals = success

396 2
My wife has been pregnant since last October (just delivered a baby boy last month), therefore hasnt been able to do any shooting. Last year for our anniversary we treated ourselves to a G26 (mine) and a G42 (hers). While I have had many opportunities to shoot, she finally got to fire her first Glock 42 round today. Two years ago, I had to really break her shooting techniques down for shooting the rifle, and was quite successful doing so, getting her to shoot small groups at 100 yards. Now comes the pistol. Before I say any more, I will admit I am far from an expert and am learning more and more myself as I just got into it a few years ago. She is the type that wants to grab the gun, aim, FIRE. I mean, they do it on movies, right? She generally is very good at something the first time she tries it, so trying to really teach her fundamentals can sometimes be a challenge.

We set her target up about probably 5 yards away. I know, thats not far. But for learning purposes, its perfect. She was literally shooting 12" groups at that range. I broke it all down for her, teaching her the things that I have learned from this forum and other gun related sites. I taught her better stance, better grip on her gun, and most importantly to sharpen the front sight and blur up the target, and squeeze the trigger. We also did a few dry fires so I could show her how much she was anticipating the shot. In the end, she was shooting probably 2-3" groups. Sure, not competition grade groups, but a HUGE improvement. To prove to her that it wasnt luck, I put up a target and told her to just shoot it like she normally would with no basics. She didnt even hit the target. I told her to put it all together..she came about an inch or two from the bullseye. She shot her G19 better than her 43, but thats probably to be expected.

Just thought id post this to remind anyone who may be hitting a "plateau", to really stick to the basics and watch the groups shrink.

While on the subject of fundamentals, I posted a month or so ago about shooting decent groups but not being able to hit a stupid bowling pin. I ended up shooting very well again today, so im thinking it was just a bad day.

Now my wife tells me..."I need to buy a ton of .380 ammo soon". :supergrin:
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Just sayin'
4,680 Posts
Good job, brother! Earlier this summer my daughter who is thirteen wanted to start shooting with me. The first thing I taught her even before going out to the range was the four rules of gun safety. That was the utmost important thing I wanted her to know before even touching a firearm. When she got out to the range the very first time she was enjoyed herself and shot very well. She even wanted to shoot my revolver, a S&W Model 686 Plus 4" barrel but with .38spl ammo loaded up. This is a start of a lifetime of responsible gun ownership for her.

· Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
11,993 Posts
My wife has been pregnant since last October (just delivered a baby boy last month), therefore hasnt been able to do any shooting. Last year for our anniversary we treated ourselves to a G26 (mine) and a G42 (hers). While I have had many opportunities to shoot, she finally got to fire her first Glock 42 round today. Two years ago, I had to really break her shooting techniques down for shooting the rifle, and was quite successful doing so, getting her to shoot small groups at 100 yards. Now comes the pistol. Before I say any more, I will admit I am far from an expert and am learning more and more myself as I just got into it a few years ago. She is the type that wants to grab the gun, aim, FIRE. I mean, they do it on movies, right? She generally is very good at something the first time she tries it, so trying to really teach her fundamentals can sometimes be a challenge.

We set her target up about probably 5 yards away. I know, thats not far. But for learning purposes, its perfect. She was literally shooting 12" groups at that range. I broke it all down for her, teaching her the things that I have learned from this forum and other gun related sites. I taught her better stance, better grip on her gun, and most importantly to sharpen the front sight and blur up the target, and squeeze the trigger. We also did a few dry fires so I could show her how much she was anticipating the shot. In the end, she was shooting probably 2-3" groups. Sure, not competition grade groups, but a HUGE improvement. To prove to her that it wasnt luck, I put up a target and told her to just shoot it like she normally would with no basics. She didnt even hit the target. I told her to put it all together..she came about an inch or two from the bullseye. She shot her G19 better than her 43, but thats probably to be expected.

Just thought id post this to remind anyone who may be hitting a "plateau", to really stick to the basics and watch the groups shrink.

While on the subject of fundamentals, I posted a month or so ago about shooting decent groups but not being able to hit a stupid bowling pin. I ended up shooting very well again today, so im thinking it was just a bad day.

Now my wife tells me..."I need to buy a ton of .380 ammo soon". :supergrin:
Practice with a purpose makes purfect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.