close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fun wuth the telescope...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by sbstudley, Feb 3, 2010.

1. sbstudley

sbstudley

Last week I asked about purchasing a telescope and I was astounded at the great feed back I recieved.

What have been some of your more exciting finds you have had while out stargazing?

I will share mine later.

AlphaRed

2. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

I found a Angeline Jolie look alike about 1/4 mile away that likes doing nude aerobics....................................... Opps wrong thread

3. Kith

Kith

I used to lay out on my roof and look through my telescope, good views of the moon and the close planets.

I haven't had one for a few years now, but am soon in the market for another - now that I have a digital camera, I was interested in taking pictures of the stars through the telescope with it. I've read a few books on digital imaging through the telescope, and they were all written for 3-5 megapixel cameras, so i'm sure to get some good photos!

If you have a digital camera, and you pick up a telescope, then you should look into star photography.

4. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Hey!!

You have to tell us what you bought so we can congratulate you or call you a moron!

5. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

I always love "finding" the Orion nebula (it is really easy to find). Simply beautiful from a dark site. This is what it looks like through a small telescope.

[​IMG]

Saturn is always worth looking at. Here is a great example what Saturn looks like through a small telescope.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jr83v6zaC-8&NR=1&feature=fvwp

My best all-time "find" was back in the '70s when I had just finished building an 8" F8 Newtonian telescope. I hadn't finished the mount yet so I set it up on end on the patio just to see what wandered through the field of view. The first night I got to see the Ring nebula in Lyra for almost a minute. That really rocked my world.

This is pretty close pic of what it looked like (not a Hubble class image).

[​IMG]

This is what it looks like if you have a couple of billion to spend.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  6. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

+ another one for Orion's Nebula. such a spectacle, even through a 4" scope. the Pleiades are beautiful, as well. and it's always fun looking for Jupiter's moons over the course of a couple nights.

wow. might have to dust off the old Celestron...

7. sbstudley

sbstudley

A couple of years ago I woke the family at 2:00 to drive over the mountains to view a show of shooting stars (I don't know what it is called but it happens once a year). While we are there I notice a cluster of stars with my binoculars and I was telling my wife about it. The group next to us started discussing the group of stars and they called it the "Seven sisters" When I got home I looked it up on wikipedia and learned more about it. I enjoyed it for most of the summer.

AlphaRed

8. sbstudley

sbstudley

After asking here at GT and finding out that a good scope for a beginner will cost $500 (and well worth it) I decided to stay with my binoculars for a couple more years.

AlphaRed

9. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

I have a 4.5" Meade Newtonian. Who can advise me on filters, and the best blace to find new, quality eyepieces?

10. fmfdocglock

fmfdocglock

11. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Binoculars are great for learning the sky. Many people today will start with a computerized scope and never learn how to find what they are looking at.

12. sbstudley

sbstudley

I am finding 12 X 50 binoulars on CraigsList for $50

and I found a 25 X 100 for $125

AlphaRed

13. bluenoise

bluenoise

There are a couple of cool astronomy apps for the iPhone that I use to help me identify objects in the sky: SkyVoyager and Star Walk. If you have an iPhone and like to look at the night sky, I recommend them.

14. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Anything with this much power will require a tripod. I find 8x56 to be about the most I can comfortably hand hold.

15. ammoguy3460

ammoguy3460

Getting out there and learning how to do it yourself is great. The funny thing is that professional astronomers are mostly completely inept at identifying things in the sky themselves and operating telescopes. It makes sense if you get what we do, but it does sound odd at first!