Fun thread on why we reload

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by naughtymoose, Jun 1, 2020.

1. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.

With just about any press you can load one round at a time or just do one step at a time. Until you get the feel of what is going on. With a LCT it's just about the same as a SS press you just don’t need to pull out the case and put it back in depending on how you want to look at it 4 or 5 times to load one round.

But then if you only shoot 50 or 100 rounds a week or month a single stage will work.

The way I did it when all I had was a SS and shooting a lot more than that. I took a coffee can full of the brass and sized and deprimed. Then seated a primer I did it off press. Belled the mouth. Each stage went into a different coffee can. Then 50 at a time added powder checked the powder level in the case then seated and crimped the round. After the initial prep when I came back from the range the brass was cleaned. Then sized and deprimed. Next day seat primers and bell the case. It ended with doing about 2 to 4 hours every day of pulling the handle on the press. If I got caught up I then would do the other brass and set it aside until it was needed. Don’t think I ever got completely got caught up using a SS press.

fredj338 and buddyd157 like this.
  2. pwinter

pwinter

After not reloading for 35 years, I find I have a lot more confidence in using my 550 as a single stage press. I determine how many rounds I want to reload at one sitting. I load that many primers and set aside that many cases (tumbled). I then de prime and insert the new primers in one step, setting each primed case aside. Then I flare and dump powder in all the cases. When all cases have powder, I INSPECT EACH ONE for the correct powder level. Then seat the bullet, advance the turret one notch, and crimp. It's slower than normal progressive reloading, but I have more confidence in this method right now.

buddyd157 likes this.

3. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

I'm a fan of the LCT and use it for everything except 9mm. Large Rifle to smallest handgun, steel linkage with a cast iron base and positive primer catching. You can use it as a single stage if you want and a semi-progressive when you want. Caliber changes are inexpensive and fast. I've used mine since 01-04-06 and only on the second square ratchet with approximately 8k a year. It's right for me, but know that there are many good options.

4. unclebob

You would be better off with a 650 or 750 over a 550. For one unless you put a charged case back under the powder measure you can not get a double charge. Also with the 650/750 you can use either the Dillon or Double Alpha powder check. Besides your visual check inside the case. You also have a visual indicators on the powder check and also A buzzer. You can also use the Double Alpha on the 550 but you would have to sit and crimp in the same station or add another step.

5. orangejeep06

orangejeep06

^same here. i have enough powder/primers to last for the next 25 years.

6. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

There really is no going back. I dont shoot as often as I'd like but when I do, I have no worries about burning 3-500 pistol rounds at a time. that would cost a fortune commercially loaded.

I do have ample primers and powder on hand. As I have stated before I shoot cast bullets so never bothered stockpiling those, especially considering they are the most expensive component. I am hoping to add more powder and primers pre-election, but if supplies still gone / prices high will wait till after election. I am really not super concerned with Biden winning the presidency.

7. SmokelessPowder

SmokelessPowder Consummate Reloader

If you want to hang with us reloaders you'll stop saying casings unless you're talking about making sausages. I think most loaders say cases or just simple brass.

judgecrater, SARDG and buddyd157 like this.
  8. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

I started reloading in 1984. I've always been pretty mechanically oriented. I started with a Lee hand tool (you literally hammer the case into the die) and graduated to a Lee Challenger single stage, then a Lee Turret, then a Lee Progressive (which I hated so much I threw into the trash) and years later a Lee Classic Turret. I started initially because I liked the challenge of a new hobby and it saved me money.
    Now, 36 years later, I still do it because I enjoy it. But I also appreciate that in an era where ammunition is often scarce due to the latest panic buying, I can produce ammunition. And it gives me an excuse to go out to the garage.
    But it's not for everyone. I've talked several people out of reloading over the years because, frankly, I don't think they can sort through all the data regarding bullet weights, powder charges, overall length, etc. and produce something that's safe.

Collo Rosso likes this.
  9. Kwesi

Kwesi

A friend took me under his wing teaching me on his 550. Looking back it was a “Tom Sawyer” move as I loaded his ammo for him...lol. I soon purchased my own 550. That was about 15 years ago. I really enjoy it. Like others I stocked up on a lot of powders, brass and even much more primers. Concerned about the outcome of the last election led me to score lots of 22 LR once I broke Wallymart’s delivery code. I then purchased a single stage. I chose powders that eliminate the possibility of a double charge. This thread does make me realize how low my bullets are. Prices are not going down. Hope I don’t need them or my 22 LR to barter with.

10. buddyd157

buddyd157

"forgive me father, for i have sinned"

i shall now say 27,000 Hail Mary's and 32,000 attrition of the cross

these should take me all of 34.7 seconds, as i cannot remember any of them...

mfm9, Uncle Don and SARDG like this.
  11. Boox

Boox Just a Grump

I started late in the shooting/reloading game, got into it about 15 years ago (I'm 73 now) with a lee single stage and shooting 45 acp. At the present time I have about 1500 rounds on the shelves, 45acp, 45 GAP, 40 S&W, 41 Mag, 357, 38 spc 243 win, 30 rem, 32 rem, 30-30 win, 300 savage 22HP savage(soon to be a 25-35), and all done on the Lee.
    Up until this year I was shooting 100-150 rounds a couple of times a week. All this to say that a single stage press is fine for most reloading. I don't shoot competition, so I don't need a lot of ammo in a hurry. I load 100 -200 rounds as needed.
    since Covid the local range has been closed and since this is northern NY, not too much shooting at the range happens between November and April. the range opened this week so I'll be out there soon, after the cool and rain of the past few days.
    Start with a single stage, make your mistakes, learn from them, then, if you really feel the need, upgrade. Buy some bullets, a couple of good reloading manuals some powders and go for it( after reading the manuals) Good Luck

12. Robert Kittine

Robert Kittine

I find that I need different presses for different reasons. I have a Harrells "C" Press for Loading At the Bench for Benchrest Rifle and have a K&M Arbor Press for Bullet Seating at the bench. For long range precision rifle shooting I use Foster Coaxial Press which unlike many presses does not allow any sideway movement of the case.

For shotgun I have 5 MEC Grabbers and one of these days when I have a Spare $5K I will buy a Spolar and the extra heads for all 5 gauges.

For Pistol, I have Star Presses for .45 / .38 / 9 mm. For all other regular pistol I just use a Turret Press.

Off course I then have all the goodies to go along. Harrells Pistol and Rifle Powder Measures, i120a Scale plus Scott Parker Beam scale, RCBS Loadmaster 1500 and Omega auto trickler, case prep machine, Sinclair concentricity machine, Sinclair / Wilson Trimmer, Neck Turning Lathe etc.

When I die, my daugher will be able to stock a reloading parts and components store.

Bob

13. yep380

yep380

I started reloading because I would look at the pile of shiny brass at my feet after a range session and think it was such a waste. I still remember the pulling the trigger on my first reloaded round, a 380 - what a thrill!

I now cast my own (powder coating, ftw), which significantly reduces costs. I'm well stocked up on powder, cases, and lead, but wish I had more primers. Hopefully there will be another dip in component costs at some point and I'll stock up again.

My press is a Hornady lock-n-load progressive. Works well for me. I have a single stage RCBS press for decapping and sizing cast bullets. I also hand load hunting rifle calibers single stage as I don't crank out hundreds of them like handgun calibers.

14. fredj338

fredj338

Well its slower because you are not using it as a progressive. For that method, a ss press or turret is the same.

15. fredj338

fredj338

Ok if you want to be accirate, s
    unless you dont shoot much, bypass the ss press, go to a turret at the min. Its just too slow. Hauling ass you can load 75rd in an hour. At a more liesurely pace, 50rds. If you shoot 100rds a weekend, that might be fine, but it gets really tedious. A turret will double that rate, but you do the same amount of work on either press. One of the over looked aspects of a progressive is it lets you do about 75% less handle pulling.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    buddyd157 and SARDG like this.
  16. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

When I was new and starting to reload, I started right out of the gate with a 650. (750 now, as 650 is discontinued) Buy one of the best auto-indexing, progressive presses, learn on that, never look back. It's faster, it's safer; the actual reloading 'steps' are always the same.

If you find later that reloading isn't really your thing, you will be able to easily sell it for a good price. The way things are going, you may be able to sell it for a profit.

I found out yesterday that my LGS has been out of 9mil for more than a month. I never knew... I didn't miss a beat with my shooting. But you will have to buy supplies before you actually need them. At that point... so does everyone else.

judgecrater, buddyd157 and fredj338 like this.
  17. pwinter

pwinter

Just after purchasing my 550 35 years ago, I bought an after market device that when attached to the 550, would dispense one charge of powder for each pull of the lever. It also actuates the primer feed. I disconnected the powder charger when I was cleaning and making some repairs to the 550. I plan to reconnect it so that I don't have to manually charge the powder.

18. N0Glock

N0Glock

I too had a friend teach me to reload before the internet existed, he then sold me his old equipment cheap, still use the Rock Crusher and 5-10 scale, what I have done for people I like (not many) who want to get into reloading is tell them what to buy for components and have them come over and set them down with a Dillon 550, show them the whole process, then let them load a bunch of ammo dosn't take long before they are hooked.

fredj338 likes this.
  19. fredj338

fredj338

Pretty sure the 550 always had an auto primer feed & powder charge. Maybe you had a 450?

pwinter likes this.
  20. unclebob

That was what I was thanking.