Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have been a little over obsessed making sure all my rifles can shoot into a dime at 100 yards, shooting sometimes became frustrating. We fixed that yesterday. Me and my son grabbed the Marlin M60, Ruger American Ranch (223) and picked up a case of water bottles at the gas station. Went down to BLM land and blew them up with 55grn Vmax's. We set them out from 25-60 yards and they all went boom, my son scored his longest hit that was pushing 70 yards. Made some lunch out of the back of the truck, shot some spinners with the M60 and headed home. Shooting stuff is fun.

·
Registered
417 Posts
That is a great day! When my daughters were little, and even now, we would put clay pigeons on the berm at the gun club. Once they were busted it was a competition to shoot the smaller broken pieces. This started at 25 yards with the 10/22 and me shooting my single six. At 50 yards they had the advantage and eventually we took it to 100 yards with the .223.

·
NRA Life Member
30,657 Posts
He looks like he had fun.

Reactions: John Wesley

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is a great day! When my daughters were little, and even now, we would put clay pigeons on the berm at the gun club. Once they were busted it was a competition to shoot the smaller broken pieces. This started at 25 yards with the 10/22 and me shooting my single six. At 50 yards they had the advantage and eventually we took it to 100 yards with the .223.
That’s a great idea.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Good for you Dad! Those are great bonding times and memories they will carry with them.
We did the same thing yesterday. Other than some places being muddy from snow melt it was a blast to just go out and plink. We always save the old milk jugs and other plastic containers for targets. Worst part is picking up all the pieces. Ours...and often times others too.

·
NRA "Benefactor Life" Member
726 Posts
Recently I have been a little over obsessed making sure all my rifles can shoot into a dime at 100 yards, shooting sometimes became frustrating. We fixed that yesterday. Me and my son grabbed the Marlin M60, Ruger American Ranch (223) and picked up a case of water bottles at the gas station. Went down to BLM land and blew them up with 55grn Vmax's. We set them out from 25-60 yards and they all went boom, my son scored his longest hit that was pushing 70 yards. Made some lunch out of the back of the truck, shot some spinners with the M60 and headed home. Shooting stuff is fun.

My grandfather used to say "If you what kids to be good, take them hunting and fishing." I believe what this boils down to is spend time with your children don't let the streets, movies or television raise your children for you. Looks like you and your son are going in the right direction.

·
M62/76
13,156 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good day- I know what you mean about shooting groups. Sometimes I can get so obsessive over my groups that I forget that I’m there to enjoy.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
You know, sometimes I make shooting a chore and a stress and realize that is the opposite of why I began shooting. At that point its good to clear your head and do something different. Its reinvigorating.

I get held up picking which 5 guns to bring, what to pack... Then I eventually say screw it and just grab one gun, a box of bullets and just head out and have fun.

Glad to hear of the good time with your boy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts