close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fullsize ccw revolver

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by J-DUBYA, Apr 24, 2010.

1. J-DUBYA

J-DUBYA

I'm interested in finding a revolver for ccw. I'm looking for a six-shot, 4 inch barreled weapon in .38 or .357. I am curious how heavy these guns get throughout the course of the day. I have never carried concealed and was wondering how heavy a 35 ounce gun (most of the revolvers I found matching my parameters on S&W's website were around this weight) starts to feel after 8-10 hours on your hip. The guns I'm going to look further into are:
    S&W 67
    S&W 586 L-Comp
    S&W 619
    S&W 620
    S&W 327 PD (curious about how thick the 8 shot cylinder makes the gun)
    Ruger GP100

Just wondering if anybody can give any insight on these guns listed above or carrying a revolver in general. Lastly, I was wondering how important adjustable sights would be on a self defense revolver. I have used my Dad's S&W 36 with the gutter sight and was fairly indifferent to it. What do you all prefer and why? Thanks in advance.

2. EM87

EM87

Full size + CC? Hmm... hope you wear a big jacket.

Good luck!

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I've carried 4 inch revolvers concealed, but they are big, heavy and hard to conceal - probably the worst carry choice you could make, short of a Desert Eagle or something.

Any special reason you have to carry a 4" revolver?

Plus, if I was looking for a revolver I wouldn't consider a new gun or something listed on S&W's current web site - I'd probably go find a 2" model 13 or 19 or 65 or 66.

The only revolvers I carry concealed are J frames with fixed/combat sights (the "gutter" sight you mention). If I HAD to have a revolver AND it had to be bigger than a J frame, a fixed sight, 2" barrel .357 would be my first choice.

If you are new to guns, a little more training and experience might make you regret your first choice (especially if it's a 4" .357 for CCW).

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  4. USSOCOM

USSOCOM

Find a good used S&W K frame Model 19.

5. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

When I was young, slim, and healthy I ccw with a 3" 357 S&W. Was not that hard to conceal. I carried it in a seven trees leather holster.

6. cessnastud

cessnastud Rawr!!!

I've CCed the 586 L-Comp in the past with fairly descent success. It is however, unlike your posted preferences, a 7-shot 3" gun. That extra round (with moon clips to boot!), the shorter barrel, and front night sight is what interested me. Holster selection goes a long way for all day comfort, with OWB being far more comfortable. That being said, I haven't had any problems carrying it for 4-6 hours at a time with a cheaper IWB holster. I'm not going to lie to you though, it does get heavy. For that reason alone, I tote the M&P 340 much more often. Don't get me wrong, the L-Comp is a fantastic gun, and I would never get rid of it, but it's not best suited for the concealed carry role.

7. J-DUBYA

J-DUBYA

To respond to a few comments, there is no real driving force behind the decision for a revolver, I have just enjoyed my limited experience with them. I've been shooting handguns for roughly six years from the gun range's rental case: Beretta, Glock (nearly all models) multiple 1911's, Sigs, Rugers, a lot of the big commercial brand guns have been through my hands. None of them have felt right. I've owned a glock 22 and just couldn't grip well, the gun would twist to the left and I would have to readjust my grip between every shot. I own a 1911, I'm just not familiar with it enough to use for ccw, and I recently put my Walther PPS up for consignment at the range because while it shot well, I just could not get it into a good spot in my hand. So I guess the reason I was looking at these revolvers is because they are the only guns that have felt good to me with no "buts." However, going off of what you guys have shared with me, these weapons may have to remain guns simply for leisure shooting.

8. pack-indy

pack-indy Emissary

I won't comment on why/why not a revolver will work for you because that isn't what you asked, but I will comment on the Ruger GP100. I had a 6" SS model and loved that thing. It shot great, was pretty cheap, and could be run over by a tank without harm. There is a reason the have "Ruger only" loads. Sure, Smith and Wessons are nice, but you are paying for their name in many regards IMO. Good luck!

9. pennlineman

pennlineman

Fixed sights don't bother me in the least. In fact I kind of prefer them on a duty gun, no rear sight to snag on anything.

If weight is an issue why not look into the older k frames. A little less beefier than the L frames. The models 10, 15 and 19 quickly come to mind if you want a full sized revolver. Good examples can still be found. If not stuck on a 4" BBL a snubby can reduce weight as well.

[​IMG]
    This model 10 is one of my favorites as well as this model 15.
    [​IMG]
    I often carry a revolver, I'm comfortable with one. Buy what you like, get a decent holster, a few speed loaders and practice.

10. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

I have carried a 3" & 4" GP100 concealed. I don't like to do it any more.

It's not necessarily the weight, it's the cylinder thickness that gets old real quick.

I love carrying the GP100 during the winter sometimes OWB under a coat.

I do carry a Ruger SP101 IWB quite often. It's amazing how much more comfortable it is being a 5 shot revolver.

11. RCP

RCP

I'd look into a Ruger SP101 if your set on carrying a revolver. I think it's a good compromise between a J-Frame and a full size revolver.

12. fastbolt

fastbolt

I carried one model or another of a medium/large framed revolver for some years. Of course, that was when I was issued a 4" service revolver, too.

A K/L-frame service-size revolver can become heavy during the course of a day. No question. Whether it's "too heavy" has to be decided by the owner/user. I used various IWB/OWB belt holsters. The IWB holsters weren't my favorite.

I have a Ruger SP101 and a collection of S&W J-frames (all but one of which is an Airweight). The Airweights see the most use for my retirement CCW needs (as they did prior to my retirement).

I still have a couple of excellent 2 1/2" & 4" medium-framed revolvers (.357 Magnum), but while they've seen range use they seldom see carry use. Rather than carry a revolver that large and heavy I'll usually prefer to opt for a lighter pistol.

If I were going to return to carrying a belt holstered revolver, however, I'd look for a M13/65 with a 3" barrel. ;) A M10/64 of similar size would be okay, but being an older revolver shooter with some years experience in shooting .357 Magnum revolvers I tend to like the Magnum wheelguns in models larger than J-frames.

Iron sights? Well, they may be a bit slower to see and acquire in some lighting conditions, but I usually found them suitable for my needs when shooting at reasonable handgun distances. Adjustable sights often tempt folks to fiddle with them, trying to compensate for occasional shooter grip/trigger control problems instead of learning effective techniques. Just depends. Adjustable rear sights are arguably more 'durable' than fixed sights. ;)

13. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

If you want to ccw a full sized revolver, it can be done. If that's the only thing available, we all would be ccw'ing them.......

....but, why?

I can understand the desire for a revolver, but there are just so many more appropriately sized options available to us.

At one time, I ccw'ed a Smith N frame 41mag model 57 with 4" barrel.......I know from experience that it can be done......but, you're going to give up a lot of convenience and clothing choices for that purpose, not to mention that the weight thing is a real issue after a few hours! Most of us who've been there and done that, are now perfectly happy with something a tad smaller, lighter, and more do-able!

hog

14. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

I just got a model 13-1, and it's a sturdy gun but heavy as a brick. (4" bull barrel, .357)

Better would be the steel frame model 36-1, nearly a pound lighter. NOT better is to go lighter'n that, much. A centenial airweight is LIGHT and not funsies to shoot. The range of weight is approximately a pound for the Airweight Centennial to nearly 2.5 lbs with the model 13.

what's your preference?

15. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Heavy as hell. Nostalgic, yes. There's a reason why few outside security guards still carry full size revolvers. Heck, even most of them carry off-brand semis.

16. jhmayhem

jhmayhem

A lot of newbies pick the biggest baddest handgun for their first CCW, and I admit I was one of them when my first handgun was a full sized Sig Sauer. My advice is save yourself the trouble and at least reduce your first carry revolver to a 3-inch barrel that weighs no more than 30 oz. You'll still have a decent sized gun but one that would be easier to conceal comfortably.

17. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

The good thing is you'll have a nice range/trail gun when you get sick of carrying it.

18. Bruce M

Bruce M

While it might not be my current first choice for a concealed handgun, if I was really serious about carrying a revolver and it had to be four inches I might look around for a Model 12, the airweight K frame. I think a two and half inch or three inch model 19 or 65 or 66 would be more versatile and I think any of the J frames would be easier to carry.

19. ronin.45

ronin.45

I carry a full size revolver from time to time. It is a great carry gun for picnics or BBQs. A good quality holster helps alot. I don't prefer it if I'm going to be doing a bunch of walking or moving around. 2 1/2 pounds of steel gets way too heavy during an active day. If I am just having a nice relaxing weekend day it is fine. For everyday carry you should really look at a lightweight J-frame. You are only losing one round and it is infinitely more carryable.

20. captcurly

captcurly

My choice would be a S&W Model 64,4".