Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My G30 is approaching 20 years of age. I replaced the recoil spring about a year ago but all the other springs are original. I figure springs eventually wear out, so maybe it would be a good idea to replace all of them just for GP and not have a surprise failure. Anybody else do this on theirs?

Reactions: refugeepj

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
While very likely would not hurt to do so but it is debateable if it would actually help anything.
I find it funny in the revolver days ( yes I am a bit of a dinosaur) no one ever replaced anything in them and they ran for decades. My go to revolvers are a minimum of 50 years old on all original parts. It is not uncommon to find original WW2 era guns loaded in desk drawers and foot lockers that run right out of the gate.
I do agree with another poster that is has far more to do with round count than age. A pistol shot 500 rounds a year will probably go 30 years without attention. A competition gun firing 500 a week will need ( really need or perceived need take your pick) attention probably every couple years.

·
I'm your huckleberry....
18,108 Posts
For me, with springs, it isn't a time thing, but a cycle thing.
Agreed +1. I replaced the springs, needed or not, every year or so. I read it was "the way to go." I've since taken up Willy's routine of replacing more for rounds fired as opposed to just time. Both are decent ideas but one is less expensive!

·
Registered
26,642 Posts
So then you can start a thread – –

I just replaced all the springs in my Glock and now it jams all the time. Does anyone know what’s wrong? :animlol:

LOL LOL

Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
So then you can start a thread – –

I just replaced all the springs in my Glock and now it jams all the time. Does anyone know what’s wrong? :animlol:

LOL LOL
Eh, one of the biggest advantages of the Glock platform is how user serviceable it is. Anyone with a punch and half a brain can replace all the components except sights in a half hour.

·
Registered
26,642 Posts
Eh, one of the biggest advantages of the Glock platform is how user serviceable it is. Anyone with a punch and half a brain can replace all the components except sights in a half hour.
I was pretty much joking. Although some of the threads I’ve seen on GT are not far off from

I replace something and now my gun doesn’t work.

I’ve never had to use a punch on any of my Glocks.

At least not to pound out a pin. Glock tool is about all it takes.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
I do think its a "time thing" for the leaf Slide Lock Spring. Remove one from an old Glock, even one that's seen almost no use in 20 years, and it will look quite different from a brand new SLS. Plus, except for the subcompact model SLS and post-Gen4 coil SLS, there's always danger the part buried in the frame polymer will break where it won't come easily out...which can require frame replacement.

I replace a leaf-spring SLS about every five years.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really have no idea how many rounds have been through it. I don't shoot regularly and some years have gone by with no range time at all. If I had to guesstimate it'd be a thousand, give or take. I replaced the recoil spring because it seemed a little weak going into battery, even after a thorough cleaning. No problem since.

·
MacGyver
8,229 Posts
There are lots of GT posters missing at least half a brain.

To OP, if you have only fired 1000 rounds, and never went into salt water, then you are good for another 5-9K rounds.

·
Registered
622 Posts
At least replace the trigger spring. It can break on the ends, and believe the part has been updated over time for durability. I’d also check to see if the slide lock spring has been updated. Had one break on my 23 just to find out later Glock had beefed up the part years ago. Turned out to be model specific upgrade for the 23 and 19.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts