Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here were my initial thoughts. I don't know if they make these somewhere or if someone has tried this.

I was thinking of cutting apart a ar-15 style magazine and wrapping it around a 25 round extended 10/22 magazine. It might be wider but from a side view would look more true to an AR style 10/22 mod.

Could someone post a 25 round 10/22 mag sitting on top of an AR mag?
I don't have either of these and would like to get an idea of the dimensions before i start ordering things on the internet.

·
Super Moderator
19,979 Posts
Sure! I used to tackle projects like this quite regularly, back when I had more time and money at my disposal.

The problem is going to be in the width, I believe.

Not only is the AR mag considerably thinner on the outside, it has grooves stamped into the metal sides, and these grooves form ribs inside the magazine, making the internal dimensions even less roomy.

Another thought: the external mag body/cover cannot extend past the rear of the 10/22 mag, or it might (will?) block access to or function of the magazine release.

Not insurmountable problems, but daunting enough to prevent a quick mock-up job. Cool idea, though; if you get the problems solved and one built, let me know how you did it. I have a 10/22 that might visually benefit from something similar...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the post. The biggest problem i see is the angle of the .22 round magazine. Now i'm thinking of modifying an AK-mag, probably polymer. Not sure how an AK mag would look on an AR build though.

Back to the drawing board.

Another idea would just be attach a factory 10 rounder on top of a AR mag (for an Archangel build). But i don't like that since it's not functional. I actually saw that pro mag has made one just like i'm trying to do for the 2011 shot show. Hmmm... Modifying two 10-15 dollars mags for an "attempt" might not be worth it now.

·
Super Moderator
19,979 Posts
How about modding a 20-shot AR mag by adding a 10-shot stock Ruger mag to the top of it, and then building a storage compartment into the body of the AR mag to hold extra .22 ammo? This would be a relatively easy build, and useful for prone work, shooting off a bipod or range bench-top, or display.

Just throwing out ideas... :supergrin:

·
Huge Member
11,313 Posts
maybe use an M14 type mag or another idea would be to use one of those AR conversion mags and mod a 10/22 top on it so it will fit into the 10/22 magwell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts