close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Full magazine capacity or "minus two" ?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GSYGlock, Mar 20, 2012.

1. GSYGlock

GSYGlock

Hi all,

I'm a new shooter with two gen. 4's: 19 and 26.

The magazine capacity for Glocks is well known however I have conflicting information on whether to load the mags to full capacity or download by two to save tension on the mag springs.

Can anyone help me out? I plan on keeping a full magazine in my home for self defense (15 in the G19 and 10 in the G26) but I tend to load different amounts at the range depending on my time schedule, ammo etc.

Thank you in advance,

GSY

2. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!! Platinum Member

The usual response seems to be that leaving mags loaded (to capacity or otherwise) is OK. It's the loading and unloading them that stresses the springs. Stories of WWII mags being found loaded and fired without problem after 50 years. So loading and leaving them loaded should be all right. Constant use load / reload will wear the springs, but, even then, not a lot unless you shoot a WHOLE LOT!!!

3. The Retired Sarge

The Retired Sarge "The Sarge"

These pistols are designed primarily for military and LE applications, both of which require fully loaded magazines for long time periods that function. Your Glock mags will work just fine fully loaded. It is cycling that wears magazine springs and not compression. Bill

4. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

I keep my magazines loaded one round under capacity simply because it's easier to rack the slide over the top round with the slide already forward.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  5. fireGLOCKfighter

fireGLOCKfighter

6. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Just like with the car or the mrs I like to fill it up :supergrin:

:50cal:

7. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

10+1 in my 26 :)

Everything stock on it, including the mags.

8. JRWnTN

JRWnTN

A LE instructor recommended that I download by one round, he claimed it put less pressure on the feed lips and the magazines last longer. There would also be less upward spring pressure on the slide for the first shot. There may be times when you're not able to get your best grip (like when struggling with an attacker) and want to make certain the slide fully cycles.

9. Ted Smith

Ted Smith

I fall into the "down 1" category. While I'm comfortable with a full magazine in an otherwise empty pistol, I don't top off the mag once a round is in the chamber. Spare magazines start one round down. More than once when shooting steel or in a GSSF match I've loaded a Clinton-era low capacity magazine to the full ten rounds and thought I'd seated it fully on a closed slide only to get a "bang" followed by a "click." Once the assault weapons ban reached the sunset date I replaced all my magazines with those of standard capacity. The extra "give" in the less-than-full mag assures seating (for me) on a closed slide and I'm willing to lose one round for the peace of mind.

10. Zertek

Zertek

If your gonna be a bear be a Grizzly, Glock put 10 on the magazine to let us know we can put 10 rounds in it, fill her up won't hurt a thing....OH BTW :welcome: to GT and congrats, you got 2 great models.

11. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Magazine springs are really cheap. I replace those in my carry gun every other year.

12. jack76590

jack76590

My rule of thumb re downloading one is: if full mag takes a lot of pressure to "click in" with slide forward, I download one, if "clicks in" easy I keep fully loaded. I apply this rule to all guns with magazines, including rifles.

People say keeping mags fully loaded does not weaken springs. I really don't know, but for the maybe 4 mags I keep loaded all or most of the time, I replace springs every two years.

That averages about $10-$12 a year or about the current price of one box of 9mm range ammo.

13. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

This all sounds very sensible.

14. DocWills

DocWills

I recommend loading off a full mag, so Im a down one i suppose.

15. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

If capacity is only 6 or 8 I want full mag + 1. With my 15 round guns I'm perfectly comfortable with -1. It's just more convenient. I have a spare mag anyway so it's not like I'm short of ammo.

16. frontier2011

frontier2011 Give Me Brass

I dont leave a round chambered at home.

17. Patchman

Patchman Florist

For the HD G19, you can always keep the mags (you do keep a spare reload, right?!?!) loaded with 14 rounds. And the G26, keep 9 in the mag. Neither are big deals.

But as above posted, OEM Glock mag springs are cheap. Buy directly from Glock, $2 each (IIRC). If you order 10 G19 springs ($20) for your gun and spare reload mags, and change them out every 2 years, that's good for 10 years!

(While you're ordering, order a few spare recoil springs too).

18. Itchy Finger

Itchy Finger Junior G Man

You oughta have one waitin' in the pipe anyhow. Right, boys?

19. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

I think the old "minus 2" myth started with the Vietnam era M16 mags. They would not function with 30 rounds in them, but worked fine with 28. (I carried an M16 in early 80's that was from that time. Ammo was also so headstamped 1962! Tons of issues with the mags, but the guns were for the most part, were fine.)

Someone probably got their gun info wrong or extrapolated the information to include GLOCK.

20. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

I swap mine out for Wolff +10% and use factory +2 leave them loaded all the way. No issues

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine