close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Full Body Workout Question.

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by mossy500camo, Jan 30, 2007.

1. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Well... I have another question. Since on leg day, I should do only Squats and Deadlifts 5x5 or 8x8.

On Chest day. My work out looks like this.
    Flat bench 4x10
    Incline 4x10
    Should I be doing 5x5s or 8x8s instead?
    I also work Arms on Chest day.
    Barbell curls 4x10
    Dbell curls 4x10
    Close grip bench Press 4x10
    Close grip Pushups failure or Dips 4x10.

What about Back day and shoulder day? 5x5s or 8x8s here too?

Thanks Mossy!

2. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Well, this is my opinion. I hate PARTS DAYS. We are one piece not a collection of pieces. The body needs to work together. This is why I prefer full body routines.

That said, if you have to have a chest day, 4x10, 5x5, 8x8, etc doesn't really matter. Find a rep scheme that works. Eventually it will stop working, so then, try a different rep scheme. What is important though, is doing the majority of your lifting with compound movements not wasting energy on concentration movements like flies. For your description of chest day, I'd do 5x5 or perhaps 8x3 on bench and do 3x8-10 in the IBP. I might suggest close grip on the inclines. Arm work is superfluous, maybe a set or two of hammer curls.

If you must continue with a "shoulder day", my suggestion would be standing press for 5x5 or 8x3 and than maybe pushpresses for 5x3. An alternate might be doing singles in the standing press increasing weight each single until you can't press anymore. Continue on by push pressing. When you can't push press anymore go to jerks. Again, concentrate on compound movements. No need for set after set of front raises.

Back day, again compound movements. I'd make my main move the bent row. 5x5, 8x8, 8x3 whatever works. If you fell like it, after I'd do chinups or perhaps power shrugs (higher reps here).

Just my advice. YMMV.

Good luck,
    Jack

3. California Jack

Oh, again just my opinion, 5s should be the default rep range, it's just about right for all compound movements.

4. DBradD

DBradD

What CalJack said plus I'll add that my biceps have grown more from massive pullup quantities than they ever did with curls. I doubt I'll ever do another curl.

By "massive quantities," I mean numbers that go totally against the grain from a bodybuilding perspective. In CF, we do 3 submaximal sets of pullups, 6 days/week during the offical warmup. On top of that, a large % of the WoD will have high numbers of pullups, sometimes on days very close together. My biceps and lats were in a constant state of soreness for about the first month of CF. After about 6 weeks, they stopped getting sore at all. At that point, I started trying to Grease The Groove and learn kipping pullups and hurt my shoulder with a form error on the kipping pullups. My biceps and lats were growing like never before and I'm not exactly 18 now.

5. California Jack

6. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found