Home > The Main Room > The Okie Corral > Fuel tank repair...kit...

Fuel tank repair...kit...

1. Hit junk on interstate. Hole in gas tank, jacked side up, patched...
    Anyone have idea if long term fix? Or should I get a tank from bone yard, find place to hoist it up? 800 miles from my home. But I do have couple options.
    I would think a epoxy made for contact with gas should last decade?? Or does it wind up being a limp along till tank replacement?

2. I think a fuel resistant epoxy could work. But, probably the long term fix would be to replace the tank.

3. Damned gas thieves will drill your tank here to steal 5 gallons of gas. I have heard of several people patching them with a penny and JB Weld. Why the penny, I don't know.

4. I've patched and modified lot fuel tanks. 70s Chevy's had soldiered fuel necks so I resoldered them. Other were welded so I welded. Added duel outlet sumps for race cars and they were welded. Trick is to drain and flush tank or take to radiator shop to be cleaned. If you just drain and flush purge with nitrogen or car exhaust before welding. With purge safe to weld. I'd not trust epoxy or anything like that long term.

5. [​IMG] Metal or Plastic ?

6. what kind of car is it,metal or plastic tank,how big is the hole.

7. I've also heard if you run car exhaust through the tank for around 15 minutes it will be safe to weld or braze. Burns or somehow removes all of the hydrocarbons.

8. Car exhaust isn't exactly like nitrogen or other purge gasses. What if your vehicle isn't running well and not burning all the fuel.

9. Copper and zinc don't spark, is my guess.

10. This stuff is great!...I hit a rock and put a hole in my oil pan...an aluminum oil pan!...replacement 1,000+ labor!...this stuff fixed it like new...been 2 1/2 yrs w/o a problem...yeah I would absolutely use this first...

11. "sombunya, post: 24053977, member: 124434"]I've also heard if you run car exhaust through the tank for around 15 minutes it will be safe to weld or braze. Burns or somehow removes all of the hydrocarbons.[/QUOTE]
    I filled mine with water and blew air using a leaf blower a with dryer vent hose to get rid of gas vapors.

12. Had a guy here a few months ago the ran exhaust into a barrel that had fuel in it in the past. When he hit it with the cutting torch it blew up. Seriously farked up both his hands and his face.

13. In the AF we welded gas tanks on MD-3s. Ground Support equipment that used 115/135 av gas. Usually a seam. We ran water through them for four hours before the welding shop would take them. I wouldn't do less.

14. upload_2017-3-19_22-15-29.png :kidding:

15. I put JB weld on one years ago took it 3-4 years to wear through but it did youll have to replace it but can patch till then if needed good luck.

16. JB Weld makes a product called water weld that works pretty well on gas tanks, can be dripping gas and will still bond, I've used it for that.

17. Easy inert gas source to weld a fuel tank is dry ice. As it sublimates, it fills the tank with CO2.

18. I have repaired quit a few metal fuel tanks by soldering a metal patch on the damaged area using a large soldering iron and acid core solder.

I have never used a JB weld product that was worth the time it took to harden.

19. Metal tank, 3" area pushed in. The hole was @2" long widest gap @3/8".

So far so good. As MN car. I figure everything likely corroded. So new straps likely needed.

20. mushroom cloud.jpg
    Just weld it, what are you afraid of?

21. My Bronco's tank rusted to the point that it started to leak. I didn't want to buy a new tank, so I found a catalyzed sealer that you mix up and slosh around inside the tank, then let it set up. (It's not as cheap as JB Weld--it was about $30).
    I spilled some on my concrete floor. It is still there, 15 years later because it's stuck so well I'd need a grinder to take it off. The Bronco's tank is still holding gas.

22. A shop I used to frequent back in my hometown had a tank with a hole in it, that they had to fix.

I asked how they did it. He said "we don't if we can help it. If we have to we flush it out, then hold our breath!" I didn't ask how they flushed it out. At the time I assumed water but maybe not.

They preferred to replace with a new tank.

23. My BIL bought a used Nash Metropolitan back in 1966 that had a small leak in the fuel tank. We dropped it, flushed and dried it 3 times, flushed it again, and when he hit it with a torch it popped. Inerting is a good idea.

24. I did the JB on a DSL tank. It has drip pan that has always been dry.