FTF G33 Questions

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by crnama, Feb 19, 2010.

1. crnama

crnama CLM

Not sure FTF is correct but I had 2 rounds fail to fire in my G33 today. These are the only two I have ever experienced with any of my Glocks. The G33 might have 500 rounds through it, probably closer to 200.

I looked at the primers on both rounds and it looked like a light strike on the primers. Now the real question is why?

I stripped the slide when I got home and noticed a few small shavings of plastic in the firing pin channel, maybe from the spring cups.

Does anyone have any ideas.

I was shooting Speer Lawman RHT and Double Tap 125grn. I have also include an unfired case and a fired one in the picture.

Attached Files:

2. HauntedAlabama

HauntedAlabama

I have never seen that happen in a Glock before, had it happen before to me with another gun but I just figured it was the ammo and it never did it again. Since it happened on two different brands of ammo I would figure it was something with the gun. Does Larry's have a Glock armorer on staff I wonder?

3. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bliksem

The off center strikes can be caused by a weak recoil spring by not fully chambering the cartridge.

4. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

1. clean firing pin channel.
    Leave it clean and DRY.

Shoot again.
    I have junk from primers and stuff build up.

2. still problems...change ammo.
    Try again.

3. still problems...replace recoil spring.
    Try again.

4. still problem...off to Glock.
    :supergrin:

5. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Add: chamber is real clean...cases can seat fully with barrel out of gun?
    :supergrin:

6. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

The only time I have ever had that problem with a Glock is when I installed an aftermarket extended slide lock. Yes the slide lock, also known as the takedown lever. If you look closely, the slide interacts with the barrel when the gun is supposed to be in battery. If the groove in the slide lock is not made correctly, it will allow the gun to fall out of battery, even though the slide is all the way forward.

7. voyager4520

voyager4520

I'm not a Glock Armorer and taking your gun apart past field strip voids your warranty, but these are probable causes listed in the Armorer's manual:
    Failure to Fire: Slide out of battery(DO NOT force into battery) due to: Deformed/Defective Round(inspect and replace round), underpowered ammo(change ammo), damaged/weak recoil spring(replace recoil assembly), damaged recoil spring tube'guide rod'(replace recoil assembly), mating surfaces of slide, barrel, and receiver excessively dirty(clean), gun dirty/obstructed chamber(clean), shooting with an unlocked wrist(lock wrist).
    No Primer Strike: Worn or broken firing pin tip(replace), obstructed 'firing pin' channel(clean/clear), firing pin spring cups inverted(change).
    Light, Centered Primer Strike: Hard primer(change ammo), obstructed firing pin channel(clean/clear firing pin, firing pin spring, firing pin channel).
    Light, Off-Center Primer Strike: Tight Extractor(change), Dirty Gun(clean), Slide Lock reversed or not beveled(replace).

Personally I'd bet on some part of the gun being dirty(chamber, firing pin channel, extractor area, firing pin safety area, or extractor depressor plunger channel) or you have a weak recoil spring or slide lock spring. Or the slide lock is worn or improperly installed.
    BUT, seeing your pictures I'd bet the internals of the slide are filled with debris and possibly parts of the firing pin, firing pin spacer sleeve, firing pin spring cups, and possibly the firing pin safety are worn down because of the debris.

Edit: Only 500 rounds max? I don't see how the slide internals could be dirty enough to cause those problems if that's the case. I'd still clean it out and replace the slide lock spring and recoil assembly(all of that besides replacing the recoil assembly voids your warranty). But really your best bet is just to take it to a Certified Glock Armorer or send it back to Glock.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  8. mongo356

mongo356

If whoever made the ammo didn't get the shoulder of the case right, the case itself can keep your gun from going into battery (I.E. out of spec ammo). I would follow G33's advice.