Fte

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by ken grant, Feb 18, 2013.

1. ken grant

ken grant

Glock 19 Gen. 3.

All of a sudden I am having failures to eject. Out of 60 rds. last week and about the same today, I had several FTE's.

Never had problems before.
    It looks as if the extractor is releasing the fired case before it reaches the ejector and the rd. feeding jams on it.

Release the mag and the empty falls out as it is part way out of the chamber.

Any ideas??????????

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  2. fastbolt

fastbolt

Usually, unless you can see a broken or damaged extractor and/or ejector, or the chamber is excessively fouled ... and the "problem" or symptom of a suspected problem occurs suddenly ... the first couple of things to look at are typically a change in the ammunition being used, or something different in the shooter's technique (grip fatigue, injury, distraction & lack of normal focus, etc).

So, has the ammo changed? Don't discount the possibility for a lower-powered production lot, either, especially if you're using one of the major brand "bargain" loads, which may be on the marginal end of the normal power ranges (slide velocity & travel) even on the best of days.

Is your RSA becoming worn? Brand new one? Any changes to the gun itself recently?

3. ken grant

ken grant

No changes to anything. Same ammo,same grip.
    RSA passes standard test.

Looks as if the extractor is releasing the rd. too soon as it is about halfway out of the chamber when the slide moves all the way to the rear and then the feeding rd. jams things up.

Have checked the extractor and it looks OK when compared to another one.

The fired case will fall in or out of the chamber easily so it is not a fouled chamber

4. fastbolt

fastbolt

Have you disassembled the slide and removed the Extractor Depressor Plunger (EDP) recently? Reversing the plunger can sometimes cause issues with the extractor's normal functioning.

As can a dirty/fouled extractor. Some briskly done dry-brushing within the extractor hook/breech face area can sometimes remove congealed/hardened fouling that may cause an extractor hook to fail to get a good grasp on a case rim (and perhaps slip off too soon during the extraction movement).

What ammo, if you don't mind my asking?

5. ken grant

ken grant

Everything well cleaned, EDP correct,can see no problems with extractor.

Mostly my own reloads( of which I have fired 1,000's) which have worked well in the past as well in my other Glock 9m/m pistols.

Did try some factory loads (Lawman and S&B)and the FTE showed up one time but I didn't fire as many rds. of this as I do my reloads. Out of several hundred rds. of my reloads, the FTE showed up maybe 6 times.

In the past I have never had a problem for many 1,000 of rds.
    The FTE onlyshowed up in the last 2 range trips.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  6. ken grant

ken grant

Back to the range today and fired 195 rds.
    Had 4 Failures to Eject. Each time the empty was about half out of the chamber and the feeding rd. against the bottom of it.
    Locked slide to the rear, removed mag and empty fell out.

Looks to me like the empty case being extracted is catching on the feeding rd. at the case mouth and being pulled out of the extractor claw too early.

Put the Mic. on a lot of the ammo to measure case dia. at the mouth of loaded rds. and all measured less than .380 which is spec. for 9m/m
    Most measured .377/.378

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  7. Doughnutman_923

Doughnutman_923

I didn't see this in any of the comments, but make sure you don't chamber a round by dropping the slide on a round already in the chamber. You probably know better than that anyways. lol

If it's not your magazines the only solution I can think of right off the draw that will be quick is to spend $30-$35 and replace all of the Extractor components. Or just call Glock and I'm sure they will get you squared away. Hopefully you have an armorer in your area so you don't have to wait 2 weeks for the process of shipping and all that, but either way it should be cut and dry!

8. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

If it's mixed-brass reloads, it might be an occasional out-of-spec case (rim too small or too thin). If you have any more FTEs, keep the cases and compare them to nominal, see if there are any significant differences.

Only other thing I'd suggest is removal of the extractor, and a good stiff-bristle-brush cleaning of the extractor slot, and the extractor itself. If there is even a minimal buildup of crud in the slot or on the part of the extractor than normally "bottoms-out" in the slot, the extractor may not have full movement to the bottom of the slot, resulting in the extractor holding the case more loosely than normal during extraction (which might allow the casing to be knocked loose or drop down more easily).

Let us know what it was, once you figure it out. Good luck!

9. ken grant

ken grant

Carried it to a GSSF Match and let the Glock guys check it out.
    They found nothing wrong but did replace the Extractor at my request.

No cure, same problem. 2 more range trips,150 rds. each trip. 5-6 FTEx.

Tried again yesterday and only had 1 FTEx, same ammo,same mags, same person.:dunno:

10. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

One other suggestion: mark your mags, if you haven't already done so. Every time you get a stoppage, check/record the mag number that was being used at the time. If all or most stoppages are coincidental with the use of one mag, discontinue use of that mag and see if the problem goes away or is greatly reduced. It would be pretty weird, but entirely possible, that a bad/out-of-spec mag is somehow contributing to the problem.

11. ken grant

ken grant

Back to range today. 150 rds. fired.
    One failure to eject, last rd. in mag.
    Empty case just laying on top of empty mag as if the extractor released it before it could hit ejector.

12. ken grant

ken grant

Put a new plunger spring in my 19 and no cure, in fact I had more FTEX.

Had a Non-LCI spring loaded bearing in my parts box and decided to try it as the head is thicker and seems as if it would put a little more pressure on the extractor. My 19 has a LCI extractor.

Fired 200 rds. today and had ZERO Failures to extract.
    First time in many months that it worked great.:supergrin:

13. ken grant

ken grant

Another update.
    Last range trip-- no failures to extract, had one brass to face, two to top of head and several over my head.

When cleaning after the trip, I decided to install a 30274 Ejector in place of the 336.

Back to range today----no failures to extract, no brass to face and none to top of head.

Brass mostly ejected to 4-5 o'clock about 5 ft. away.

Seems as if all is OK now:supergrin:

14. jtboss

jtboss

That 30274 ejector has been the cure for many G19's. Mine included. Glad you got it worked out.

15. fastbolt

fastbolt

Although I got my '11 production G26 running better than it had been early on ... after trying 3 different standard ejectors and a new G4 ejector and 3 extractors ... I was still getting some more erratic ejection patterns than I was with my other G26. I'd tried some other parts changes along the way, too.

Then, I experienced another failure-to-extract with new duty ammo, and I decided to try one more time. I replaced the extractor with the newest extractor Glock could send me (yes, it has what folks here call the "dip"), another new style G4 extractor and a new RSA.

My test-fire at the range revealed what I'd come to expect as normal functioning over the course of almost 15K rounds fired through my older (G-series) G26. The last empty case would still sometimes follow a different pattern than all the other ejected cases (not unusual because no further cases were under it as it was being extracted and positioned to engage the ejector ;) ), but all the other cases followed a more predictable pattern.

I'm satisfied.

Was it any particular change that resolved the condition in my Gen3 G26? Dunno. That's why we (armorers) replace parts, though, to try and address any tolerance stack issues that may be responsible. Any tolerance/machining issues that may have occurred during manufacture of the slide have to be determined and addressed by the company.

If I couldn't have finally resolved the issue with this last bunch of replacement parts, I'd have returned the gun to Glock for their attention (expecting either a new slide or a new G26, whichever they felt was appropriate).

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013