close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ft. Benning!

Discussion in 'US Army Forum' started by Fire_Medic, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

Ok, so I'm set to ship out for Basic in May of '09, and as my luck would have it, I'm off to Ft. Benning. I don't hear much good about Ft. Benning, and my retired Lt.Col stepfather said pray you don't get sent there. So any of you who have BEEN to Ft. Benning, I would appreciate some feedback. What's it like, really as hard as they say, or is it just people spreading rumors.

Thanks. :wavey:

2. GJ1981

GJ1981 Pitying Fools

The post doesn't make it hard there, that all depends on your DS. Since you're going there in the summer, the heat and humidity is bad if you're not use to it. Do as you're told and DRINK WATER, I was there in August and we had plenty of heat casualties from not drinking enough. You'll learn to watch for the ant hills, they're everywhere. I actually liked Ft Benning over Ft Hood, I don't know what you've heard bad about Benning?

3. Fire_Medic

Everyone's just told me it's the worst place to go for basic, and I get weird faces and oh ***** comments when I tell people I'm heading to Benning. So I just wanted some info from people who've been there. As far as the heat, I know it's not the same, but I'm from Miami, FL so I'm use to heat in the summer.

4. CPT_CRUNCH

CPT_CRUNCH P.O.W.

benning gets a bad rap b/c of the high percentage of... "strong willed" people there. its home of the infantry. also some intense training happens there too. and you're going in the summer months and it will get hot and extremely humid. i've never been to miami, but i've been to other places in florida... you'll be fine!

that being said, you're going there for basic. do what you're told, dont stick out, trust your DS and you'll do fine. and dont be a bravo foxtrot!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  5. Norman

Norman Non nobis CLM

:supergrin:

I still love the term. Still use it when out with bravos.

You'll be glad you went to Benning, when it's all said and done. Remember to give every day 110%, don't attract attention, don't make enemies, and enjoy the fun. This is the start of a new life. Make yourself proud. Tell family and friends you'll get back to them when it's all nearly over. Focus on learning and getting your rest.

Is Benning harder? Yea, it probably is. Don't you want to be harder than the rest? You're training for your survival and your future buddies. Train like you mean it.

6. Fire_Medic

Thanks fellas. Someone else told me today, benning wasn't as bad as they say. It's what you make of it. Can't wait to ship out, but I wanted to wait until after the baby's first B-Day. I'll be at reception for 4 days and then off to Benning. After Benning I head to Ft. Sam for my AIT. Then I'll be back home to my family and friends, and civilian career for a couple of months. Thanks for the responses, if anyone else has any they would be greatly appreciated.

:wavey:FM

7. Rakkasan

Rakkasan

You'll be fine. Remember how apprehensive you are now when it's all over, and you will laugh at this thread. :supergrin:

I'm guessing since you have a child, you are a little bit older. You've been around the block a few times, you know exactly what you are getting into. Keep a level head, do what the DS says, and learn as much as you can. Just remember, it's just as mental as it is physical. You'll get screwed over many times with the whole mass punishment thing, just get used to it. Sometimes you'll get your limits tested a few times and think you are going to die... you wont. Oh, and have fun! :tongueout:

8. luv2brode

luv2brode

suck it up and drive on

9. Fire_Medic

Yes I'm 28 and I'm assuming this will be like fire academy except we'll be shooting guns. I'll remember to laugh later when it's over, lol. :tongueout:

10. CPT_CRUNCH

CPT_CRUNCH P.O.W.

just remember its all a game. a game to train... and to make you a Soldier. use your maturity and experience to help your team. there will be a lot of kiddies w/ you so try and do your part to guide them. but dont step on any toes. dont be surprised if your DS uses your maturity early.

btw... you'll enjoy kuwait!

11. Fire_Medic

Thanks for the kinds words. Yes I know there will be A LOT of kiddies. I'm surrounded by them in the RSP program right now. I've never felt so old, lol. Thanks for the kind words.:wavey:

12. Biscuitsjam

Biscuitsjam

It's all a bunch of mental games. Drill Sergeants tell soldiers that wives girlfriends are cheating, or they say that we just went to war with Iran and everybody is going to take part in the invasion shortly, or that time will just drag on forever. They'll punish you for "screwing up" 100 times in a row, even though you can't figure out what you did wrong. They single out soldiers for humiliation in front of the unit. Don't let the stuff bother you and you'll be fine. Keep your head down, do what you're told, and don't cause the drill sergeants to learn your name. The Drill Sergeants can't really do half of what they say...

Also, be smart about injuries - be very careful to get shoes and boots that fit. Be very careful not to hurt your back or your knees. Avoid doing anything that's likely to result in injury, such as jumping on a wet log or running at night through the woods when you can't see.

You're a good age to go through BASIC. The 18 year-olds have problems with the psych games, while the 30-something guys have problems with the physical part. If you ever get to a point where you don't think you can go on, just look around at everybody else. They're hurting as much as you do, at least one of them is a total moron, and they're still going.

13. luv2brode

luv2brode

yeah i was 27 when i went in and was the oldest in the company.

14. Fire_Medic

:thumbsup: Excellent post. Thanks. :wavey:

15. reptiman

reptiman Go Ducks

This is good advice.

16. Biscuitsjam

Biscuitsjam

The beginning is hard - after that is easy.

You'll start at Reception, which is BASIC lite. You'll have drill sergeants and get yelled at, but they aren't too mean to you. I think it's done that way to help ease you into the experience. You'll stay at Reception anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks waiting for the next class to open up. After you pass your initial PT test (13 pushups in 2 mins, 17 situps, and a slow jog/walk), you can start.

At BASIC, you'll get off a bus or truck and walk into ~10 drill sergeants screaming at you. They'll ask you to do impossible physical activities (such as 200+ pushups with a 50lb duffelbag on your back). You'll fail and get screamed at more. Anybody who shows signs of weakness (crying, quiting, etc.) will get singled out and the drill sergeants will try to make them give up. For the next 3 days, it's almost nonstop.

Then, it slackens up. The next two weeks are still pretty bad, but they don't seem overwhelming after the first 3 days. Once you get out of Red Phase, the drill sergeants rotate schedules so you'll only have a few there at a time, and they relax some. There are some awful days and occasional personal challenges, but its mostly ticking days off calender. Only the beginning is tough - the rest is almost a cakewalk. Lots of guys are actually really disappointed that BASIC isn't more like Full Metal Jacket or Tigerland. If you want a tougher experience, you'll need to go to Air Assault, Ranger, SERE, Special Forces selection, or a half-dozen other schools of various lengths and difficulties.

Of course, the rest of BASIC isn't much fun. Looking at a calender and thinking "it's 91 more days of this crap" can really get to you. And then, a few days later "it's still 86 days?" You get no privacy and no alone time. They're required to give you one phone call within the first 24 hours of starting BASIC. My next call came 6 weeks later and lasted about 2 minutes.

And, finally, it's over. You get to go home, drink beer, and do all the crazy stuff you've been talking about for a long time. The rest of the army isn't nearly so silly as what you experience in BASIC.

17. MikeD71

MikeD71

You'll be okay. Was at "Sand Hill" for basic and AIT. Harmony Church had just closed the year before I got there. Was there for Infantry School...which is the starting point for many MOS's. The first few days is reception. You'll get suited up, and acclimated. Some PT etc. From there, you'll likely board "cattle cars" which will take you to your barracks. That's when all hell breaks loose. When you arrive, the drill sergeants will be coming out of woodwork, and IN YOUR FACE. This is designed to break you down and weed out the weak. I remember an Oklahoma linebacker, big guy, I swear he was about to cry. Just remember, this is TRAINING, and we all did it. GOOD LUCK!

18. srob7001

srob7001 Kill 'em All!!

You will be glad you went to Benning when it is all said and done. Think of it this way. Majority of the Army's top schools for training are at Benning. Infantry, Sniper, Air Borne, Ranger. So yea it will suck if you aren't willing to give everything you can.

I personally was at Benning for Infantry training and yea it was hot and yea it was tough, but you suck it up and do what you are supposed to do and it will make you a better person in the end.

Can Do attitude will get you a long ways in the Army.

Good Luck!!!

19. NGWT

NGWT

It's Basic. Doesn't matter if it's at Benning or Vegas. You won't see much of it anyhow.

20. srob7001

srob7001 Kill 'em All!!

Basic is not basic. It depends on your MOS. I was Infantry and I saw all the guys and girls in there basic and its totally different. If you are in a fighting MOS expect a bit harder and more detailed basic.