close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ft Benning Finals

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by JWG_34, May 6, 2007.

1. JWG_34

JWG_34 TeamCarverMount

OK guys I just have to put my 2 cents on the table!

I just looked over the Ft Benning results andI have to say first,Congradulations to all the winners.

And I am thankfull for the chance to shoot in the sport and to have had the chance to make as many freinds as I have while shooting in all the different ranges I have.

Im not knocking GSSF,And by no means am I tring to put all the winners down,But Looking at the results,I cant help but feel,I put all my hard into Practicing with my Glocks to shoot as good as I do , When I started, A 3 digit time (000.00) was good And as I improved and my times (00.00)got better I reached master class shooter in about a year and a half. Now from what I am seeing, winning a pistol or 2 and then one at random, you can do it without all the hard work and improvement.

I know this may have all been said before and as I said before Im not knocking GSSF or any of the current winners or past winners and Im not placing blame.Just something I had on my mind!

Oh and as soon as I get back in the groove,I WILL be back in the game ,Because for me the most important thing is not the winning (which is nice),But the fellowship with good friends.And having a great time putting lead down range !!!!!

PS So please, If I have offended anyone ,I apologize !!!!!!!!!!

2. Justin1911

Justin1911

Not sure I understand what your saying. Do you think the times on average are getting worse (so you don't have to shoot as well to win) or do you think the new prize system from GSSF makes it easier?

3. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Possibly he's talking about the new scoring procedures of the last few years, 1 and 3 for penalties versus 2 and 5 and the addition of more layouts, most of which are quicker to shoot than the originals. Even our traditional Glock "M" is shorter than the original, these things help lower scores for those with penalties and increase speed for everybody over the longer M we were so used to. Jeff earned, as did many, his Master classification with the old longer layout with higher penalties to be faced.

Bobby's clean match at Anderson comes the closest to Tom Costanza's 40.19 in Unlimited. Bobby was clean so the lower penalties aren't a concern, only the shorter length of the "M" was different. Quite an achievement at any rate!

The changes were made to keep more folks interested, make the matches a little different and to some, more challenging. I enjoy the new layouts and the surprise of which layouts we'll face at a given match. I like for things to change at the matches while still continuing the original round counts for each stage and string. GSSF faces the challenge of moving a large number of shooters through the match while keeping the match challenging and trying to give us as much shooting as possible within the other parameters, not an easy task to accomplish 32 times a year.

Edit to correct Tom's score.

4. JWG_34

JWG_34 TeamCarverMount

All I am really saying is that all the practice ,that I put in over the years ,doesnt seem so important now, that all these random awards are being giving out. Just seems it doesnt give the incentive to practice and get better and be a better marksman! Oh and as for the new layouts and not knowing which will be set-up at any giving match Im all for it!!!!

Like I said in my original post, The most important thing for me is the fellowship with good friends,thats why I will be back in the GSSF game as soon as I can.

Jeff

5. Fireglock

Dude, getting a pistol certificate is not the same as winning, ya still gotta beat Bobby and Grady for that! :)

6. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Both Jerry's posts pretty much said it for me. No matter how you shake it, no other mfr does anything close. And, regardless of Course of Fire, the Sierra-Hotel shooters are still the ones to beat. Right after I get done improving on my previous best score...

No matter how it appears, the random awards are just that: entry numbers drawn without regard to what division that entry might fall out in (generally). My goal is simply to keep improving as much as possible and things will fall where they may. Will I accept a random award? Sure. I was shooting GSSF before random awards and will continue whether they do or not.

I love the competition against myself but, bottom line, if the people I really enjoy seeing at a match, however briefly, suddenly all said they weren't going to be at that particular match I'd seriously consider not attending because it wouldn't be the same. But then again, sometimes that's how you meet new friends. ;)

:patriot:

7. RoyRNC

RoyRNC

I am actually curious about the new rules regarding Master vs. Amateur? I noticed that both Master and Amateurs are listed in Competition class. As an amateur shooter does that mean I am competing against the "Masters" or other "Amateurs" when it comes to 1,2,3rd ,etc.. places? I would prefer to try and beat shooters within my similar skills set and not the ones that far exceed my abilities. If I want to go and shoot for the sake of shooting then I can do that at any range really. Or at least specify is someone is a Master on the scores so that I can see where I place against other Amateurs.

Can someone please clarify for me?

Thanks.

8. Fireglock

If you're an amateur you shoot against amateurs, the sharks shoot against sharks. Same in Major Sub, Sub Compact. ;)

9. Clem

Clem

Sharks?!? What sharks?!? Sharks scare me!!! ;) :banana:

10. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

The amateur divisions. :dancing:
    :supergrin:

11. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Like a newly-called up AA baseball pitcher, how the Masters see a newly promoted GSSF shooter.

:faint:

12. JWG_34

JWG_34 TeamCarverMount

Wig,Im the same, I pushed myself to get better and I did!!!!!
    I became a master in one and a half years. And when I do get back in the game ,Im going to have to work even harder,especially if Im going to post scores like Bobby and grady have been posting lately.

Self-improvement,and dicipline are alway first on the list when shooting competition.
    GSSF is a fun part of the shooting sports, And I am thankfull for the chance to particapate in it ,and I will in the future as well as ,Now that I am a member of Mid-Carolina Rifle Club ,here in Columbia SC.
    I will be getting into IDPA,USPSA,IPSC, and shooting some Steel Challenge. All in the name of improving.

13. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

From one of the BIGGEST, FRIENDLIEST Sharks in the pool!!!:supergrin:

Looking forward to seeing you and Donna soon!:thumbsup:

Dan:cool:

14. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Big +1 to that! ;)

15. Clem

Clem

Thanks, Dan & Wes!! We miss y'all & hope to see everyone soon!! Tony. :wavey: