close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ft. Benning 2006 Debriefing

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyR, Mar 25, 2006.

1. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Please post your stories here.

2. whiskerz

whiskerz

First long line at the gate to get a visiter pass(it is also family day today) then you need 2 copies of the gun form not 1. Then it is at a new very nice range. the old one appears to be getting a renovation. read the map. The shoot went well. I was through it in about 2 hours. I shot alright I broke 100. Range help was AMU shooters they were outstanding a really nice group.They did not appear briefed about how to score the targets but picked it up quick. Thanks to Chris for hooking me up with a bonus as well. :supergrin: I had fun as always and wish they had more close by.:supergrin:

3. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

YOU REALLY DON'T WANT TO KNOW!:shakehead: :frown:

Dan:cool:

4. truckcop

truckcop

Assumed use of the old range, went there. Then wandered about for a while. Next time, read the directions and look for the signs. Started a little chilly. Windy, windy, windy. Blew the poppers down on the "M". Went to wind rules. A couple of glitches regarding shooter line-up at a couple of the stages, but it got worked out, I think. Lots of people there to straighten them out. Beautiful day, nice facility. Shot crappy. Had fun, as usual. Thanks, US Army for letting us come back! Thanks GSSF for getting the venue back!

5. ede

ede Bama's Friend

what he said, but snce i was signed in at the top of the list it didn't cause me near as many problems as it did others.

as for my shooting, i broke into the 70s in UL and damn near broke into the 60s in UL. hard for me to believe i did that good. shot under 100 in am sub, another first for me. had my first sub 4 second plate run, actually had several today. while shooting ACiv i heard the RO call out 3.09, my last sub 4 second run of the day but the first i was awear of. i got all excited thinking i might turn in a really good time ,like sub 80s. with the next magazine i left 2 plates standing, my only 2 out of shooting 6 classes. i still ended up with a 100.07 in ACiv. all in all i had a really great day shooting.

as for the social side of it i met a few people from GT, seen old friends and had a great time visiting with everyone.

6. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Well lets just put it this way. Previously I had said that I expected this to be the best GSSF match held at Ft. Benning. I take back every word. It was just the opposite. It would certainly be refreshing to see a group that hosted a GSSF Match for the first time that would listen and take the advice of the folks who have been doing it for 15 years. The nicest thing I can say is that I was extremely dissappointed.

The fellowship with friends was great and the only possitive part of the weekend.

7. truckcop

truckcop

Dang. I guess I made it through before the real problems arose.

8. JWG_34

JWG_34 TeamCarverMount

What they said !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have not been shooting GSSF matches fort as long as some of the guys.But I have to say this was one of the worst mathces I have been to in my 7 year GSSF "career".

I have no prblem waiting my turn to shoot! But today at Fort benning I had to wait for 2 and a half hours to fire my first shot!!!!
    IMO thats is far to long to get started shooting a match.

I arrived at 10am and it was around 12:30pm before I fired the first shot. And I also have to say that I think the RO's should have been instructed a little better on getting competitors to the firing line.

Names should be CALLED OUT, and not jjst assigned a score card as they walk up!!!!

I know that the RO's are volunteers and I can say that they did a good job, Just neeeded a little more instruction.

Before I get all the heat ,I just want to say that I enjoy shooting GSSF and the guys and gals at glock do an outstanding job at getting the match locations signed and getting the matches going.
    I just think Fort benning could have been ran a little better, I know that no system is perfect and any bugs need to be worked out.
    But today at Fort Benning, The COCKROACHES were running wild!!!!

End of rant!
    Jeff

Oh yes ,as Don said,Seeing all the good friends I have made over the years shooting was the best and only highlight of the day at the match!!!!!!

Ok guys you can let me have it,I can take it !

9. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Jeff,

Your comments are always welcome. Ft. Benning, after my experience in 2002, is one of two GSSF matches that I will never shoot again.

10. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

I am assuming that Waldorf is the other one.

But with Va and NC gone We are going to go anyway.

I know doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results...

Is that any different than expecting the same result but doing it anyway?

11. Clem

Clem

Don, Dan & Jeff: Sorry to hear about your frustrations at the match. Hope your shooting went well otherwise. Sure looking forward to next weekend in Mingus/Stephenville!! Travel safe, buddies.

Ed: Congrats on your personal bests!! Looks like all that indoor match shooting is paying off. Keep it up!!

12. ede

ede Bama's Friend

thanks tony. i was telling pam how it made me feel hearing the RO say 3.09, like my head was spinning. same feeling i had when i had only 10s and xs with 5 rounds to go at 50' on my first 500. i've got a lot of help and tips from all my GSSF friends and shooters. i'm trying to shoot IPSC or IDPA on the off weekends where there isn't GSSF to shoot, indoors or out. i'd hate to say anything like i might be a contender to win in the AM classes or anything like that, but if i was having a good day and the good shooters were having a bad day who knows how it might turn out.

13. triggerpresser

triggerpresser

We didn't realize the match was on a new range and made plans to not get there till about noon so the sun would not be in our face. Well the new range has the sun in your face in the afternoon. Our biggest problem was because we didn't get there till after noon we were pretty deep on all of the sign up sheets. So we waited, visited, then waited and visited some more. Ede, it was good to see you again. And Jeff, I know you were looking forward to shooting again, I hate the day didn't turn out as you had hoped, but it was good to see you and Jenny. I wish both Ede, Jeff and Jenny had been able to stay and join everyone for dinner Saturday evening. Grady it was good to see you again also. As for the problems in the morning with the squading and scoring, I sure wish you guys hadn't had that experience. That will sure ruin a trip for anyone. My experience in the afternoon (except for not taking a competitive shot till about 4:30) was good. The RO's I encountered were friendly and professional. I'd like to say Thanks to the folks at Fort Benning for hosting the match and also to the GSSF folks for putting it together. I shot fairly well even with the sun in my face. I managed a new personal best in Am Civ, a 72.35!!! I am happy about that, even though I had a few errant shots that added to this total. The fellowship with everyone was great as always and I really enjoyed the dinner Saturday night. Glenn (with two n's), wish you could have been there, you could have gotten your picture taken with Jerry and the 'Prince'. Next match for us is Waldorf, hope to see everyone there.

14. Terminator

Terminator

First i want to say i had a great time seeing all of our friends and meeting a few new ones. ede and i are planning on doing some IDPA matches together when schedule will allow. :) Domzilla you are a LIFESAVER and it was great to get to hang out with you finally. It was a pleasure finally meeting KYGUNDOC and getting to visit with soo many super people from our GSSF family. This makes the trip worthwhile to us whether i shoot well or not.

We arrived on post at 0930 and first off had to visit the armorer for some much needed help on my g26 and Gary took good care of me. Much appreciated bro :) then we signed in on all the stages and prepared to shoot. the weather was nice, but a bit windy and cool for Paula's liking, but the sun made it bearable.

Glock M was running great for me until i had a bigtime ftf that bent the shell casing in half, and took some considerable effort to clear. Luckily scott was there to authorize a reshoot since i was using WWB ammo and i finished the stage a little battered from another jam in my 26, and 1 in my U/L gun, but it was fun anyway :cool: Took a trip back to the armorer and he diagnosed a chipped extractor and replaced it for me and i was back in action.

5TG was running slooooowwwww but it gave us the chance to talk to many of our friends who were waiting there as well. After i shot the 5tG i platooned to the plates and finshed the day. all in all i had a great time and improved on my personal best score by 2 seconds thanks to a great teacher and friend, GLW :beer:

It was especially great to see Gene Z who finally came out of hibernation to come and shoot with us
    ;) and team up for another Guardian match.

Our next match is Waldorf and i look forward to seeing many of you there.

15. Defiance

Defiance

Well, I actually enjoyed myself at Ft. Benning on Saturday.

I was really looking forward to visiting the place, because my dad went through jump school there in 1963 - 82nd Airborne. I've always been really proud of him, and all of our military personnel for that matter. I loved dad's stories about his service time, and I called him several times while I was there for more trips down memory lane. It was great! It was really someting to be there on the military base where he was over 40 years ago.

Yes, the match could have been run better, smoother, faster, etc., but I realized going into it that the VOLUNTEERS running it would be professional soldiers, and NOT professional range rats. I expected SNAFUS, so it simply was not an issue. We signed up at each station, went and ate lunch, and then went back to X-up to shoot. We got through in about 2-2:30 hours. Not the fastest match, but it was fine. I brought snacks, and just soaked in the atmosphere. I talked with just about every RO. They were very friendly, and provided lots of good info. For instance, back in 1963, the range we were shooting at was the B.A.R. range. Did any of you know that?

Seeing the smoke from the forest fires, and hearing the thump-thump-thump of the full-auto 50 cal. in the distance was surreal. And way cool!

We had hoped to finish in time to visit the infantry museum, but were a little too late. We drove around the nearly empty base, took some pics, and checked out the Ranger training course. While there ,we listened to retreat play, it was very peaceful. A fascinating experience.

Then we went to the military supply store Ranger Joes. What a great store. Lots of neat stuff, and friendly, helpful staff. I picked up an armload of 82nd Airborne loot for my dad. He'll think he re-upped! I double-dog-dared my buddy to get a haircut, and he did. He looked like he had a sheet of velco on his head afterwards!
    :rofl:

Oh, did I mention that the drive took us 4-1/2 hours, each way? It didn't matter, it was still a great day.

I will definately go back next year!!!

I guess the amount of enjoyment you get out of an experience like the Ft. Benning match is directly proportional to the amount of positive attitude you take into it.

Thanks to Ft. Benning, GSSF, the AMU guys, and everyone there for hosting our match!

16. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

Mrs Glockrunner here...

Thanks One-Ragged-hole for putting things back in perspective. Yes, the match could have been run better, I agree. But I think sometimes we forget that a well-run match takes lots of practice and the bumps need to be ironed out.

This was our first Ft. Benning match for Bob and me. We have become accustomed to finishing up around noon-ish, and making the trip home on Saturday.

We arrived at the Fort a little later than normal and because it was run a bit slower, we didn't get off base until almost 4 p.m. That put us on the road later, plus a traffic accident on I-85, and a traffic tie-up in Atlanta, we didn't make it all the way home Saturday. We spent the night in Augusta, and came home Sunday.

But getting back to the match.... We had a great time seeing the 'gang', and supper Friday night was good. With the wind and sun on Saturday, I got a royal sun and wind burn on my face, but not a big deal. I shot my personal best on both the 'M' and '5 to Glock', but again I stunk at the plates.

I believe next year, the match at Benning will be run better. It's all growing pains. I can bet the nice young men running the stages had plenty to talk about after the match. They surely had stories to tell about a bunch of 'old folks' shooting. They were very nice and I appreciate their hard work.

It's easy to criticize, but it can just as easy to find the good things to talk about, and work to iron out the bumps.

Pat (Mrs. G-R) :patriot:

17. mleeber

mleeber

I had a conflict Saturday and shot on Sunday. Left Atlanta at about 5:45 and was at the range well before 9. Nice peaceful drive early on a Sunday morning. Getting onto the base was a breeze, didn't even need the forms, and my TomTom got me right to the range. I had pre-registered (which saves tons of time) and had my stickers by 9:15 (first in line but they had some housekeeping going on at the registration trailer). The only stage with a signup sheet was 1 Glock M so I signed up and headed back to the car to load what seemed like 300 mags (only turned out to be 29). Since I was signed up on Glock M I started at 5 to Glock and then shot the plates and finished up on Glock M. I shot 6 divisions and there was no waiting anywhere. The ROs let me shoot all 6 at once because there was never anyone behind me. I could have been done by 10am but I purposly slowed myself down, at least on the walk between stages (behind the trigger I was the same testosterone driven freak as usual getting the last round off before the first case hit the ground). They must have medication for that???

I found the ROs to be very friendly and professional but strict on the scoring. On one Glock M run I had all shots on all targets in the A and B ring and I was given a "Mike" on one target when I stacked 3 together making a tall oval on the target but they only credited it as a double. Since I pretty much sucked at the 5 to Glock I blew it off. My unlimited gun, which has not missed a beat in months at the indoor range here at home, decided to have ejection problems every 3rd round or so. Then my bone stock G30, which has never hung up, decided to have feeding problems on both the major sub and am sub runs. That did not help my time on the plates. I did not think to have the armorer look at it and ask about a reshoot. In fact, I pretty much stunk up all the divisions.

Only non-Glock folks that I ran into that I knew were John Nagel and Bobby Carver. Wish I had made Saturday and the normal crew! See you guys in SC and Conyers, maybe even Pensacola.