Glock Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 60 Posts
Originally posted by RJ3301
He won't do jail time in either Westmoreland or Allegheny County (where he lives) even though there are two felony charges.
I've already secured getting everybody paid back once I figure out who is owed what. Even if the credit card companies or Paypal are out some cash he will be paying them back as well.
Just what I figured would be the outcome in the end........ :upeyes:

No Jail time for 2 Felony charges???????? :shocked:

I'm sure he'll be back on the net sooner or later doing the same old scam on another net board...... :upeyes:

I wanted everyone to know I did receive a check from officer Jones and was reimbursed completely for the mags I never received from this guys.

Officer Jones made it all happen and I appreciate it. My hat goes off to him!

:thumbsup:

Wow, good to see a local officer taking care of business in such a timely and professional fashion. Well done, sir.

Nice work on getting the BG, RJ :thumbsup:

It would be cool if scams didn't happen, but when they do, it's nice to know the BG didn't get away with it.

Just an idea... I don't know when the new paid site idea will be up and running but that won't prevent scams (I know nothing will prevent scams 100%).

What about this... implement a new forum rule that new members must sell COD (or at least must offer the option). You can define "new members" as anyone under X months and/or Y number of posts, or whatever.

Also, one could implement in the member's profile section a count of WTS/WTT threads started (and link to them perhaps), and possibly implement a feedbacks section in each members profiles. This way, a potential buyer could quickly go to the seller's profile, see how long they've been around, see how many WTS/WTT threads they've started, and link to a feedback page that other members post about him on previous transactions. (Just like a demanding technology user in the business world; application enhancements are always EASY, right? :animlol: )

Just food for thought, guys (and Eric). The paid section of the site is a good idea. Adding a few other ideas might help run off the rest of the casual scammers who may still show up, scam members out of some cheap gun parts with their first couple of WTS posts, and disappear. The COD idea might be the easiest forum change, with little to no code changes. It would just be member enforced rule.

Originally posted by Eric
Hi folks. I am sorry if any of you got burned, but there is little I can do to help in a situation like this. The user in question has been banned and I will cooperate with any official LE request for information concerning this guy, including IP numbers.

I will soon be launching a paid membership tier on Glock Talk soon. Basic membership here will always be free, but the paid tier will have access to some nice premium features. These changes will impact the classified ads area directly and I think for the better.

When I launch the new system, the classified ads forums will be replaced with a very nice new classified ads software. This new software will utilize Glock Talk's current user database, so you won't have to log in separately from the site. The new system will a very slick system to enter and view multiple product images, the ability to choose an expiration date for the ad, to list and search the ads geogrpahically, to edit and delete the ads yourself, plus tons of other really great stuff, including a built-in feedback system. I think this new software will be a big hit.

When I implement the paid tier, I am going to place limits on the numbers of ads that various user levels will be able to post. Regular members will be able to post between 2 and 5 ads a month. I haven't decided exactly how many yet. Personal paid members will be able to post two or three times the number of a regular member and a business paid member will be able to post unlimited ads. I say unlimited, but we may have to place a limit on the total number of ads that can be posted per month, if the system gets abused. I haven't decided on that either.

Anyway, the paid tier system will help to keep this place paid for and the classified ads system will help. The paid tier system will also help the buyers here though. In addition to the feedback system, the paid tier itself will help buyers make purchases with more confidence, in a couple of ways: Firstly, most scammers will probably not want to pay the membership fee to use the site. Two, if the seller has paid for his membership, he will have had to share a bit of personal information with my system in the transaction, so I will be able to provide more help to the authorities, if they request information concerning a possible scammer. I think between the feedback system and this, buyers here will have tools as good as any classified ads or auction system online on which to base buying decisions. As always though, the phrase 'Buyer Beware' is good advise. Don't do business with people you have a bad feeling about. Insure that you get some personal information about the seller whenever you can. Make payment and shipping arrangements that give you some recourse in case of a deal gone bad, whenever you can. Cover your butt.

I will post more info on the paid tier and new classified ads system soon. I welcome any feedback you all have on the new system. Thanks. Eric
I don't sell much but I try to make a donation everytime and try to make a small donation every month. I really enjoy this place and want it to stay around a long time.

Officer Jones (PM sent) great job, Brother...

Anything you need or want let me know it's at my cost ...

As McDonald's used to say - "You deserve a break today" and I think every member of this site would agree -

+1 for Officer Jones :wavey:

Today we executed a search warrant at this guy's residence. Needless, to say his name is not Striley but he did confess to everything. I see from the Paypal records I received that some of you may have been reimbursed by your credit cards or Paypal. Those of you who have been vicitmized, please let me know if you got your money back and from whom.

Thanks,
Rob Jones
Nice work. I wish I had this kind of response for a scam I fell into a few years ago.

I just had glock adjustable sights put on my g19 the rear sight has 2 adjustment screws on it. which is for r to l adjustment and which is for up or down? I am new at this so maybe my question is not appropriate in this forum.Have patients I will learn.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.