frying question

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by punkture, Dec 2, 2005.

1. punkture

punkture

i've tried this particular recipe several ways, but i'm looking for a suggestion...

i'm taking 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts and cutting them into nugget-sized pieces. place the chicken pieces into a ziplock bag with spicy mustard and lousianna hot sauce. after the chicken is covered in the mixture, i'll put them into another ziplock bag with flour, bread crumbs, or corn meal. after all the pieces are battered, i'll fry them in olive oil, vegetable oil, or canola oil.

now onto the three questions:

1.) any other suggestions as to what i should put in the bag with (or in lieu of) the spicy mustard and lousianna hot sauce?

2.) what would you use to batter it: flour, corn meal, or bread crumbs...or a combination or two of the three, or all three?

3.) what oil type would you use? i like using canola oil, but i'm running now and am just curious what people out there would use...

many thanks!

2. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

I would use a mix of 50/50 cracker meal and flour with salt and pepper.

If you want batter(flour/cornmeal/baking powder/eggs/milk or beer)to stick you will have to dust the pieces with flour first.

3. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Marinate chicken chunks in buttermilk seasoned with salt, pepper, and hot sauce...
    (The buttermilk has secret things in it that flavor and tenderize chicken.
    ---A restaurant trick)

In the breading bag use seasoned flour or cracker meal or Panko and sesame seeds...

Deep fry in peanut oil... It browns things real well, and the seeds get toasty...

Goes great with creamy Guacamole or a spicy marinara sauce like places serve with
    Calamari or Mozzarella sticks...

;c

4. cmzneb

cmzneb

Definitely Peanut Oil. Really makes a difference! Expensive but worth it.

5. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Flounder (so fresh that it bit me while I was filleting it) coated in Frycrisp and cooked in fresh peanut oil to a nice golden color.

6. punkture

punkture

many thanks! i'm going to try a few of these ideas.

7. Mild Bill

Served with wolf nipple chips!

;c

8. noway

noway

I batter mind with Old Bay mix into flour and italian bread crumbs store bought or you can make then with any old bread and a toaster.

Personally I like my chicken not flour or deep fried but grill on a flame or pan grilled.

9. Mild Bill

mmmmmm.... fried brains.....

;)

10. K.C. Dia

K.C. Dia

Try using panco, they are Japanese breadcrumbs, and are available at many supermarkets, specialty stores, or an asian market if there is one in you area. To keep it simple, simply dredge the chicken in a beaten up egg wash, dredge in the panco, and saute immediately before the panco mixture gets soggy. I don't see why you couldn't mix some mustard up with the egg wash or even use the mustard by itself. This is an excellent way to do chicken, pork, etc. After trying panco, you won't go back to regular breadcrumbs again.