Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hey guys, relatively new to GT and new Glock owner as of Christmas (thank you to my beautiful bride). I have been reading a little about frying pan finish and I'm wondering if this is it.
Thanks,
TD
Likely. See photo of 2012 frying pan finish on a G19 Gen 4, and, matte finish on Dec. 2016 G19.4. Accompanied with a non-stick pan on the left and cast-iron skillet on the right for comparison!
Frying pan Cookware and bakeware Wok

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
TD, What are the letters of your serial number? Normally they start from M** to maybe S**. There are probably exceptions but the range they normally come in.

·
NRA Member
791 Posts
I have a frying pan finish G19 Gen 3 that starts with G. I have frying pan finish Glocks that start with K and L. So I know they started before M.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Here is my Gen4 19 with a UBL prefix with the frying pan finish.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Airsoft

·
NRA Member
791 Posts
I am still waiting for a Glock frying pan. A finger groove polymer grip on it that feels like a G17 would be epic.

·
NRA Member
791 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
The frying pan finish is rare on a Gen 4. Beautiful example. Hold onto it!
Well, it’s durable but reflects the heck out of our bright sun in Colorado - can also reflect flashlight light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
For any new new Glockers out there, Glock has had no less than 5 different finishes (and likely more than that).....

The first was a dull, black, rough to the touch phosphate type finish; it absorbed CLP like crazy (think Parkerizing) and while it showed minor wear from scratches and from heavy use, they could easily (most times) be rubbed out with CLP (or equivalent) and a cotton gun rag.

Next, (that I remember, anyone correct me if I'm off) was a slick, almost shiny (not glossy but certainly not flat like the first) that matched my Beretta 85F's slide/frame finish (called 'Bruniton'). Some claimed it was too slick.

Then a 'frying pan' finish that was not as shiny and had somewhat of a textured appearance (yet still very smooth to the touch) in comparison to the 'slick' Beretta-like finish.

Next was an almost gray rough black that I really didn't care for (just personal preference).

Now the new Gen 5 finish......

Again, I may have missed a transition finish or two but these were my observations from owning Glocks from 1988-89 until the present.

The 'frying pan' finish showed less wear than any other I recall.....

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I will never get rid of it because that 19 was my first Glock and is what started the addiction. My current carry gun, the Gen4 26 also has it, though it will be retired when I pick up the Gen5 26.

·
Banned
5,385 Posts
I have 2 Gen 3 19s. One with the frying pan finish SN M**, and one with the scratch-attracting flat grey finish. The frying pan was my first pistol. It's seen leather, kydex, and pretty rough treatment until I learned what I was doing wrong. It still looks PERFECT. The newer, flat finished one that sits on the nightstand looks like it rides in the back of a cement truck.

·
Registered
32,486 Posts
I had a frying pan Gen 4 19. Durable for sure but was way too slippery. The scratch prone gray finish isn't durable but is grippy. I don't understand why finishes are such a problem for Glock.

·
Banned
7,627 Posts
It’s rare? I didn’t realize that. Guess I’ll hold on to my 17 with that finish.

I bought mine used several years ago and it has some holster wear on the edges, but it’s a strong, but slick finish.

My serial starts with PH

·
Registered
401 Posts
All my Glock, with one exception, have the frying pad finish which, as mentioned, is slippery but does not mark easily. I have one G26.3 that marked up the first day by inserting it into the holster. It is the gray finish that is not slippery but does scratch easily. To assist with the slip I applied small strips of GT-5000 GripTape which works great. Technology Electronic device

1 - 20 of 34 Posts