Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
GT Mayor
64,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well peeps I flipped an coin to see what kinda new fryin pan I should get and cast iron won out. Picked up an 12" Lodge pan for 17 bucks.:thumbsup:

·
INFRINGED
42,213 Posts
I got one around here somewhere, that belong to my Grandmother.

She would have never used that new fangled teflon.

·
Litter Kitty
4,990 Posts
What would you have done if the coin would have been standing on the side :upeyes:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
You will love it... you need to season it and then break it in...

My mom has some pans that date back to 1900 or so that have been in the family for years and have survived house fires and floods...

·
Litter Kitty
4,990 Posts
You will love it... you need to season it and then break it in...

My mom has some pans that date back to 1900 or so that have been in the family for years and have survived house fires and floods...

about 500 rounds will do :rofl:

But serious Mate, the braking in is the most important part if you will enjoy it for long time :)

·
Litter Kitty
4,990 Posts
All new Cast iron pans are protected with a sort of wax cover.
Firtst you have to get this cover of, using soap and hot tap water and scrubing it of.
Then dry the pan and put it on the stove for a few minutes to get it hot and dry.
Remove let it cool down to warm and then rub it with some natural oil.
Whipe it dry. Ready to use

When you use it ,use the right temperature. Allways heat your pan up, try with some bubbles of water. If the bubbles sizzle and then evaporate its the right temperature.
If the bubbles evaporate stright away it's to hot. If the dops just sizle without evaporating not hot enought

Enjoy your pan

·
GT Mayor
64,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What would you have done if the coin would have been standing on the side :upeyes:
Re flipped I reckon:supergrin:

·
GT Mayor
64,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All new Cast iron pans are protected with a sort of wax cover.
Firtst you have to get this cover of, using soap and hot tap water and scrubing it of.
Then dry the pan and put it on the stove for a few minutes to get it hot and dry.
Remove let it cool down to warm and then rub it with some natural oil.
Whipe it dry. Ready to use

When you use it ,use the right temperature. Allways heat your pan up, try with some bubbles of water. If the bubbles sizzle and then evaporate its the right temperature.
If the bubbles evaporate stright away it's to hot. If the dops just sizle without evaporating not hot enought

Enjoy your pan
Thanks Mate:thumbsup:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Well peeps I flipped an coin to see what kinda new fryin pan I should get and cast iron won out. Picked up an 12" Lodge pan for 17 bucks.:thumbsup:
\

I love cast iron! Cabella's has some really pretty blue ones I would love to get! At least I know my kids WON'T break the cast iron anytime soon! I bought these really expensive pots and pans set and one of my boys broke it! I learned the hard way not to buy ANYTHING expensive UNTIL they are out! I have a cast iron dutch oven that I love to fry my chicken in or Sean will make me French Fries (yummy!!!)

·
Miembro Antiguo
9,988 Posts
:thumbsup: Now that you're into cast iron skillets it's time to move to the dutch ovens. You will need a camp fire though. Do they allow those in your apartment?

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
eww. 'natural oil' could mean rapeseed or canola or safflower.

use grease on your skillet, Okie. Serious. Unsalted butter, pork lard, even beef tallow rather'n some oils. Olive oil you can use, but you'll taste it in everything.

if you use safflower oil on a cast iron skillet you'll be Very Sorry.

·
Frisky!
35,973 Posts
Not a clue on cooking.
Should make a nice club however.
:supergrin::wavey:

·
Watcher.
40,692 Posts
eww. 'natural oil' could mean rapeseed or canola or safflower.

use grease on your skillet, Okie. Serious. Unsalted butter, pork lard, even beef tallow rather'n some oils. Olive oil you can use, but you'll taste it in everything.

if you use safflower oil on a cast iron skillet you'll be Very Sorry.
Mitch is youse followin me? I/We use salt pork ta season our cast Iron.'08.

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
the grease fills the pores and then you take away the excess. oil that dries by oxidation (safflower or canola) is used for furniture sealer, works on wood, NOT METAL. it leaves a film, like polyurathane only less toxic. nasty stuff.

salt pork is fine, i got no religion about it, most oils that are natural and real work, but they tend to flavor things oddly to american tastes. walnut oil is nice.

·
Watcher.
40,692 Posts
the grease fills the pores and then you take away the excess. oil that dries by oxidation (safflower or canola) is used for furniture sealer, works on wood, NOT METAL. it leaves a film, like polyurathane only less toxic. nasty stuff.

salt pork is fine, i got no religion about it, most oils that are natural and real work, but they tend to flavor things oddly to american tastes. walnut oil is nice.
Salt Pork is readily available.Mitch if your worried about flavor,all you havta do is "smoke"the pan/High Heat.That will get rid of any residual tastes/flavor.'08.

·
RIP 08/95~09/09
2,636 Posts

Crap! Does this mean if I used motor oil, I'm screwed?:upeyes:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts