Frustrating when other LE agencies refuse to handle their own business

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by jadams951, Mar 29, 2010.

1. jadams951

jadams951 Resident JBT

Ran into a DWI/Poss. of Marijuana case this morning just outside my city limits in the unincorporated areas the county handled by the county sheriff's sffice. Called that dept out to scene and two deputies show up. Tell em what's going on and the bubba first thing says to have my sgt call his sgt because his sgt says they aren't working it and we can. I don't have a problem working it but it's their jurisdiction and they should work it. I talk to their sgt who gives a lame excuse of how it's confusing for multiple agencies and that I can work it because of what's said in the code of criminal procedure. I'm thinking no **** but how would he feel if he's in another city in the same state and he runs up on something similar and that agency tells him he can work due to code of criminal procedure.

I'm just annoyed by the fat lazy bubba and his sgt who supports their being lazy. Am I overeacing to their laziness?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  2. Narc1911

Narc1911 Anchora Salutis

You catch it you clean it.

3. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

+1. Unless your agencies have an agreement in place about turning cases over to whoever works that area, you catch it, you clean it.

4. fastbolt

fastbolt

Yep. Mostly.

It might have been different if you had stumbled across an unrelated crime while engaged in an investigation which had taken you (announced) into their jurisdiction. Dunno. Folks can be touchy or helpful as the whim moves them. ;)

It all balances out in the long run.

There's enough work out there for everyone ... and then some.

If this had happened to one of the younger folks at my former agency, my friendly suggestion would be (and has been, on repeated occasions) not to take it personally or make it into something which adversely affects your ability to work well with an outside agency. Every new day brings its own challenges and situations.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  5. trdvet

trdvet

With as many agencies in Harris County it's no wonder this is prevalant. HPD has tried this with me multiple times.

6. Pepper45

Pepper45

Wow. If I'm "poaching" outside my city and find a DUI, I run with it. If the county guys find one inside my city, they run with it. I can't imagine calling someone else to work a DUI. Now a call that turns out to belong to another jurisdiction, I turn it over right away, and so would they, unless it would be a huge pain to do so, then we do a courtesy initial report and forward it to their agency.

7. strangepork

strangepork

I suppose it all varies by area. Around these parts, if I were to stop an OWI I would make the arrest. However, because we have two cities bordering our own, sometimes we will run across stranded motorists or accidents on the opposing side of the road in the other city's jurisdiction. In those instances, we will notify their PD and sit on it until they arrive.

8. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

You will have to go to court with it if the defendant chooses that route. Why drag another LEO into it unnecessarily?

9. OLY-M4gery

OLY-M4gery

What do you mean "ran into"?

The same argument could be made about you. If you had a reason to be where you were, when you found the chap, then trying to pawn off a case you can handle, is you being lazy too.

If you don't like that, next time stay within your jusridiction.

I bet you would be less amused if a HCSO LEO "ran into" something in your jurisdiction, then called you to handle it.

10. Bruce M

Bruce M

Can someone define "ran into a DUI/Possession?" Did you effect a traffic stop of the driver or where there other circumstances? Other circumstances are open for discussion as to who makes the arrest, but if an officer makes a stop and then is looking for someone else to do the paperwork, make the arrest and transport, I will meet you halfway and agree there is substantial laziness...

11. RocPO

RocPO

Seems like it was your business that you tried to s-can to another agency.

12. Morris

Morris CLM

Boy, howdy. I can tell you that due to our issues with some of our people poaching outside the jurisdiction, we have strict orders to do your biz in your own city. Also under the "you hook, you clean" guidelines. Only stuff that gets pawned off is minor stuff like traffic blockages, motorist assists, road hazards and so on so that no one gets accused of poaching.

13. RangemasterP226

RangemasterP226

You catch it you clean it.

If you didn't want to catch it, don't stop it.

I would be pissed if the Sheriffs office stopped a DUI in city limits and tried to pawn that off on me.

Why did you stop it? Looking for a quick ticket? If you are going to poach, (which should be no problem) you gotta play it out all the way. If you want to sent that agency a courtesy report after the fact, then fine.

14. jnc36rcpd

jnc36rcpd

A friend of mine received a call to assist the adjacent district station with a traffic accident at the intersection that divides the two districts. When he arrived, a senior officer tried to tell him that he should handle the wreck because the overturned car had started its rollover in his district.

15. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

oI work in a (very) small town surrounded by a larger city, a mile from another city that borders the larger one, and a mile or less from parts of the unincorporated county. We also have a larger college campus that is spread throughout the above jursidictions and beyond. It is not unusual for guys from one agency to stop a drunk in another agency's "jurisdiction" (ours state gives all peace officers power of arrest throughout the state). 99% of the time the guy that stopped it will take it. The other agency will often back them.

My opinion:

If you find it, it's yours. If you want to ask the agency having jurisdiction if they want to take it, that's fine. If they want to take it, it's theirs. If they don't, its yours.

16. CAcop

CAcop

One of our guys is threatening to carry a bunch of cheap filet knives in his patrol bag for the next time one of your guys trys to dump something off onto him. He's going to reach in and hand it to him and when he askes, WTF, his reply will be, "You caught it, you clean it."

I think his rant was about a DUI one of your guys caught in the city and tried to turn it over to us because CHP was busy or uninterested.

17. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Yeah, unfortunately for us (or fortunately, maybe) our policy for 30 or 40 years or more has been to turn DUIs over to CHP. There's actually an MOU signed by the sheriff and the CHP captain that details what they take and what we take. Just always been that way. CHP loves them because it's a freebie, and DUI stats are very important to them. The only time I have ever heard them not respond is when they have no one available, otherwise they take it.

18. Orlando Eric

Orlando Eric

You catch it you clean it. Says it all..

19. jadams951

jadams951 Resident JBT

Actually we'd be more than happy to take it from them. I guarantee if this dept ran into something in the city limits they'd be calling us in a heartbeat. I worked for another county agency prior within this county and they would call us on everything that was in our patrol areas to take it. This did not result from me poaching or trying to find a quick ticket as someone put it. I love how people just assume stuff. As I drove from the city limits to get to another section of city limits only accessible by leaving the city limits. As I exited the city limits it was a male in a vehicle was obviously drunk. Guess I should have let him go right? We've had issues with the DA's office in this county letting us file the charges because it was outside our city limits in hte past. This particular DA's office is staffed 24/7 with ADA's who have to approve anything more than a citation

20. rookie1

rookie1

I have a University PD that is notorious for giving us all the accidents and things that are "not as fun". If its a OWI or a intox there all over it because those are "fun". I have been to many accidents, thefts, assaults where the person who called the police is in fact the University PD. They just tell us its purely "jurisdictional" and because it happened in our city limits and not on their property its ours. This is however true but still. I was told by one of their officers that their policy manual states that on a large number of incidents they are to call my department and notify us. They have a great group of officers but they just like to hand things off.

O well I guess it all pays the same.