Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I changed a lot of things in my life last September. The first step I took was to start working out without really changing my diet. My plan was to do it in small steps. By the end of September I was implementing certain rules into my lifestyle regarding my diet one by one. Rules such as not eating within 3 hours of bed time, no food items with over 9g of sugar, no soda, and wheat over white whenever possible.

I was 5ft 8inches 230 lbs when I started in September. Today I am still 5ft 8 inches (haha) and I weight 190lbs. I am extremely happy with my results in the 5 months I have changed my life.

Now the frustrating part is that I have not lost a single lb in almost 3 weeks. However, I can still see my body changing shape little by little gaining some muscle mass here and there. I would like to continue to shave some lbs as my goal was to get to 180 lbs. What am I doing wrong? I am eating 1700 calories a day and working out 6 days a week.

ETA:

I have also quit smoking in the same amount of time. That has made a HUGE difference in my life.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Muscle weighs more than fat. If you are losing fat but putting on muscle then your weight may not change much but your physical appearance will.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
You don't eat enough. Your body is fighting the weight loss because it thinks you are starving.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
You should start taking body measurements instead of weighing yourself. Waist size is going to tell more truth than actual weight.

You might want to try to start eating more if you're working out 6 days a week. Lots of chicken breasts on the George Foreman and egg whites for breakfast. If you want a really good recipe regimine to follow, look for a PDF of the P90x meal plan for the first phase. You'll be eating constantly and it really boosts your metabolism. Lots of protein and cut the carbs. That will lean you out. Also, foods with good fats like almonds and avocado's are great for you and essential in building muscle.

·
NRA4EVR
11,698 Posts
Don't go by bodyweight. Go by bodyfat percentage and by performance on exercises, appearance and how you feel.

·
Registered
11,054 Posts
It simply gets more difficult as you go along. Your body really, really, really doesn't want to be low bodyfat and muscular because that's not adaptive in case of a famine. Your body has changed its hormones, etc. to make it harder to lose fat and keep or gain muscle. BTW, it's almost impossible to gain muscle while at a calorie deficit, so you probably haven't gained any muscle lately. Could "look" more muscular, though.

What's your bodyfat percentage or belt size? Do you still have enough fat that it bugs you? You might need to re-evaluate your current goals and decide if you really need to drop more fat or if you want to try and get stronger or whatever. You're at a fairly small number of calories, so you might need to add back some protein and/or fat and cut more carbs. Might try Zone proportions of 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat or even lower carb.

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
IT sounds like you are at a healthy weight.

I am 5'9.5" and I weigh 200-204 pounds. I am in hella good shape, I can run 10 miles in 1:38, Bike 50 miles in 3 hours, and swim a mile in <30 minutes. Women that see me without clothes tell me I would look weird if I lost any more weight.

In your quest for health don't get too carried away. I think it might benefit you to slow down on the workout a little. If you are working out six days a week you may not be allowing enough time for recovery. You don't wanna burn yourself out or worse yet get an injury!

Congratulations on the weight loss and quitting smoking. I am pretty much on the same time line as you. I stopped drinking in 12/09 and dropped 15 pounds in a few weeks.

September 2010 I stopped smoking and began working out more than before. Previously I worked out 1 or 2 times a week, maybe. I was in okay shape but I had no goals or motivation.

Then i found triathlons and now I have a concrete goal, I have mathematical goals to obtain, and I love it!

So I say eat a little more, eat good stuff, and work out a little less, maybe 4-5 days a week.

·
Banned
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A lot of good information in here guys. I appreciate the responses. I agree that maybe I do need to re-evaluate my goals. I apparently have been under the wrong impression about how to do the calorie math. I have been told by more than a few people that you want your net daily total to be as close to 1200 calories without going under for weight loss. I figure I am eating 1700 and exercising about 500 daily. But when I actually think about it I am probably burning more than that. I have been doing the Insanity tapes that is why I work out 6 days a week. My progress in those work outs have been ten fold. I couldn't do the 45 minute tapes when I first started. Now I can do the 1 hour work outs without taking any unscheduled breaks during the circuits. I think that one change I will do is start measuring instead of weighing myself. How often should I measure?

·
Scouts Out
23,815 Posts
This is funny! I just posted this on another board:

Every year it's the same thing and I never either learn or remember.

I put on my "winter 10" and I'm not terribly upset or disturbed about it, that's just the way it is for me. I'm positive if I followed some damned plan or other or was as anal about some of this as it seems a few are it wouldn't happen but it does for me.

Anyway, it's time to ramp up for a 20 week HIM training plan for Eagleman. In all honesty it's already 2 weeks into it. Well when I start working out the weight should melt off, right.

Hoooollllddd onnn thar, Babalouie. Ignore the scale for a month or so. Just live the plan and trust in the work outs and forget scales were ever invented. Start paying attention to your belt line and the way your pants fit instead. Notice that everything with short legs is starting to dig into the thighs again and the pants belt line is starting to get less of a line when taking the pants off for the day? Well that SHOULD tell me my fat actually IS going away and I'm rebuilding the muscles to do this obsession we call a sport.

Every year I forget this and every year it hits me like a ton of Mr Obvious bricks. Just ignore the scale, do NOT starve yourself but don't start eating like you will towards the end of the 20 weeks either, just keep on trucking and it'll work out.

This has been a PSA from your friendly neighbourhood lard butt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts