close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Frustrated with Shooting

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by coopaloopa, Mar 27, 2010.

1. coopaloopa

coopaloopa

I am getting really frustrated with shooting. How am I supposed to get better at shooting when its impossible to have the stars align enough for me to get to an accommodating range.

This has been going on for a while but let me give you a recent example. The closest range to my house is known for being over priced to the point of disgust. 19$ for a box of 50 9mm. When its all said and done I end up paying 60 bucks for 100 rounds and Im getting fed up with it. So I went to the local gun show last weekend and picked up 500 rounds of factory ammo at a decent price.

All the local ranges dont allow you to bring in your own ammo so they can rip you off on selling theirs, so I decided to head down to bass pro shops to blow through some of my ammo and not get taken to the bank for it. Since my brand new factory ammo is not in its original box, I cant shoot it there. The guys reasoning is "exploding guns". So the only way I could shoot there would be to walk in with a 1000 round factory box of ammo, which is impossible because the ammo is in a can, let alone just ridiculous.

I am just frustrated because I want to buy more guns and enjoy the sport of shooting but I cant justify it because I barely get to shoot. Anyone have any suggestions besides moving to rural tennessee so i can shoot in my backyard.:dunno:

2. D445547

D445547

Save your factory boxes and put your bulk ammo in there before going to Bass Pro.

3. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

Why didn't you leave your ammo in it's original box?

4. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

Winner.

/thread

5. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Thank God I'm a country boy. :supergrin:

6. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Had the same problem but now I live in rural Wyoming and won't have that problem again. :supergrin:

7. coopaloopa

coopaloopa

The box was never in my possession. The 500 rounds I got were from 2 250 boxes if I can remember, dumped in a ammo can. I never thought it would be so difficult to have some fun at the range. Its disheartening.

8. pennlineman

pennlineman

Try finding someone who is a member of a sportsman or hunting club that has a range. Get signed in as a guest from time to time and get to know some of the people. The rules are usually a bit more relaxed.

The hardest part is getting in, if you have a sponser and some of them know you it's just a matter of time.

9. Smashy

Smashy

City life. Ugh. Had enough of that after so many years. Few shooting places with too many rules to make it enjoyable. I'm much happier living in small town, USA. A short drive from the house and I'm shooting here with no one around for miles...

[​IMG]

I don't know anything about Florida. Is there any plublic land nearby where you can do your shooting?

10. coopaloopa

coopaloopa

Im in South Fla, its not "city" but its definitely not rural. I dont know about the public land thing, I have looked into it a little bit before and could not find to much about it. Central and North Fla deffinately have more of an opportunity for stuff like that. I am jealous of you guys who can go out in the boonies and do your thing. There is a sense of freedom that you have that I have never experienced. I would love to be able to just go out in the woods with a good dog and enjoy the day. For living in a state that supports the second amendment in so many ways they sure do not make it easy to shoot.

11. ronin.45

ronin.45

I would make your feelings known at the local ranges. If enough people refuse to shoot there they will either change the stupid policy or go out of business. Making a profit is one thing but screwing people is another. $19 a box for 9mm is double what Wal-mart sells it for

12. telecster

telecster

Kind of looks familar! :wavey:

13. themiller

themiller

buy a few boxes (new), shoot at range, and take some boxes from the trash at the range when u go, fill them with your unboxed ammo?

14. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

Agreed. :wavey:

Can't beat using my patio furniture as a bench. :supergrin:

15. coopaloopa

coopaloopa

I have been trying to make my feelings known at the local ranges by not going. If I go in there and tell them its BS that they charge what they do they will just say o well go somehwere else because theres a bunch of other people who are keeping them in business. My way of not supporting what they are doing is by not going.

If I tried to use my patio furniture as a bench, I would be slinging hot brass into my neighbors kitchen. Living in the country sure has its perks.

16. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

:wavey: :tongueout:

17. boozer

boozer

18. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

It is frustrating, man. A lot of us know the feeling. And when you do get onto a range, they only let you take one slow shot at a time, no drawing, and no moving. So it's just "testing the sights" and trigger practice. Self defense training is much different than that.

Three suggestions, in order of magnitude.

1. See if there's a shooting club in a driving distance from you. They will make you go to a class, etc, but after that so long as you're well behaved they will likely let you double tap, move around, draw, etc., as well as bring your own ammo. If you're going to shoot a lot, you should do what you can to get into a club. Some don't even really charge much...especially over range fees and ammo fees at the other places.

2. Join GSSF or IDPA for some competition shooting. You'll shoot more rounds than you ever have before, get to move around, and have a load of fun. Don't worry if you're not a die hard competitor...that's not required. You don't have to buy the special glasses and speed jersey and etc. Just show up like a range day and you'll have a ton of fun. You probably won't win or anything like it, but you don't have to be full bore to have fun.

3. Buy a piece of land, or make good friends with someone who has. I'm not being sarcastic, and it's not a short term solution. But you cannot imagine how nice it is here at my place. I can walk out the front door and I have my own little range set up. I have some steel targets, paper stands, reactive stuff, etc. There's land you can shoot on, for a good price, in every state. And someone not too far from you has some, too. Perhaps you can meet up with them at a club, an IDPA/GSSF shoot, or by posting here on GT for a "does anyone have a good spot for shooting" kind of post in the regional sections.

Cheers, and best luck. Don't give up!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  19. varmint6

varmint6

do they have any private clubs by you?
    i drive over 2 hours to get to my range i just got fed up one day like you are now.
    good luck

20. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

I LOVE my range... Pistols Plus, in Osage Beach MO!

You can bring your own ammo, their prices are proper, they have a decent selection of rentals, and hell, they even let me have all my 10mm brass today... nobody cared about me rapid-firing 20 round mags of 10mm.