Frontline ?

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by SMSTRICK, Sep 16, 2007.

1. SMSTRICK

SMSTRICK "WE THE PEOPLE"

I have two puppies that are now between 4 - 5 months old. All of their shots are up to date, daily dog vitamins etc. I was thinking of ptting them of Frontline through the vet. Does it work really well ?
    Is it true that the fleas can actually totally burrow completely under the skin of the dog ? I knew that they will bite them and are blood drinkers, but I had no idea that they could completely burrow under the skin .
    Oh well ! What do y'all suggest?

2. TapRackBang73

TapRackBang73 Packin Preacher

front line is awesome, we have been tick and flea free every since.

3. ppk/sfan

ppk/sfan Miracles Happen

Frontline works REALLY well. It's highly recommended for flea/tick prevention. I hope you also have your dogs on heartworm prevention as well!

4. speck

speck

I've been successful with both K9 advantix and Frontline with my dog.. and I'd know if she had fleas, she's VERY sensitive to their bites and very allergic.

Fleas can only breed when they have a steady diet of blood. The way that Advantix and Frontline work is twofold; first, there's a repellant element that acts like bug-spray for dogs (Dogs should NOT be sprayed with DEET... it will cause brain damage! :freak: ) ... it also works on mosquitos to an extent ... and second of all there's a chemical in there that interrupts the flea breeding cycle and basically makes the fleas infertile when they've drank the dog's blood.

With a house that has dogs with fleas, you need to do three things. The first is to get the dogs on Frontline, Advantix, or Sentinel. I'm using Advantix right now because it's what my vet has cheapest, but we'd been using Frontline up until now. The second thing is to wash all of your bedding and the dog's bedding with chlorine bleach really really well... or just replace it. Throw the old stuff out, don't store it. Then flea-bomb your house. Third, treat your yard with a flea killer. I like triazicide. Obviously don't let the dogs out in the yard until you've watered it in good.

Obviously, this doesn't work if you live in a trailer out in the middle of the back 40 and your entire property is flea-infested like my ex-girlfriend. If that's the case, don't bother trying to clean the house out, just treat 'em with frontline / advantix, put flea collars on them and you. ;)

The last thing you need to know about frontline/advantix or any other cream that you put on the skin/coat is that there should be no baths for two days on either side of the treatment. No baths before because the treatment depends on the dog's natural oils to penetrate and spread around the skin. No baths after because obviously you don't want to wash it off before it's had a chance to penetrate the skin.

Now, heartworm and other worms are another matter. You definitely need to have your dog on heartguard. Mosquitos carry heartworms and other nasty stuff and they can get other intestinal parasites just from sniffing around the yard. Heartguard will take care of a decent percentage of them.

5. SKeefe

SKeefe

At my vet, I pay $90 for the Frontline flea medicine and Heartguard heartworm medicine for 6 months worth (for a 12lb dog).

Anyone know where it is cheaper?

6. ppk/sfan

ppk/sfan Miracles Happen

That's actually a pretty good price. At my vet 6 months of Heartguard for less than 25 lbs is $30 and 3 months of Frontline is $45.

7. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

I am paying $42 for 3 months worth of cat Frontline..........

so those prices are pretty comparable with what you are all paying.

I get mine from Pet Supermarket........it is a pet supply store like PetsMart........

8. jeanjvr

jeanjvr

Works well, just do not get it on your skin!

9. Guod

Guod

I got sick of frontline, especially with my large dog. He gets horrible skin allergies to fleas, and we had a bad infestation in the house once.

I decided I was tired of frontline, and tried out "the program", which is a pill given once a month that causes their blood to sterilize fleas if they are bitten. In addition, if they do become "infested" and you don't want for the program to break the cycle of breeding, you can give them another pill by the same company that kills all the fleas on the dog within 20 minutes.

I have my 2 dogs and my cat on the stuff. It's kinda expensive at around $120 a year per animal, but I haven't had any flea problems, and that is more important to me than the money...flea infestations are AWFUL.

10. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:) I bred and trained guard dogs (American Pitbull Terriers) as an avocation for more than 30 years.

Someone should tell you that Frontline is generally considered to be too strong to use on dogs under a year old. (Personally, I'd say under 27 months.) On rare occasions, and only when we really had to, we used Advantage. (Not Advantix)

If you have a serious tick problem, then, Frontline might be indicated. However, all we ever used was a pair of tweezers to remove the tick; and, 'No!' fleas don't get under the skin - At least not in normal infestations.

Regularly washing the dog and the bedding goes a long way toward controlling vermin. We've, also, used a hot pail of water and a flea comb about once a month in order to check for fleas.

(You dip the comb, NOT the dog in the hot water!)

A good rule to follow is; 'If you ain't go 'um, then, you shouldn't be treating for them.' The best way to check is with a flea comb and a pail of hot water.

Since you're obviously new to all of this the following common household medications are highly poisonous to canines: acetaminophen (Tylenol) and ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin). Un:buffered Aspirin can, also, be very upsetting to a dog's stomach.

The following common grocery store foods are toxic or potentially toxic to canines: tomatoes, onions, nuts, grapes, and chocolate. Many dogs, but not all, are able to ingest small amounts of garlic which is reported to impart an unpleasant flavor to the dog's blood that vermin dislike. (Whether this is true, or not, I cannot say; but, used judiciously, our dogs did seem to have fewer pests when some fresh garlic was included in their feed.

Once you get a flea infestation it will take 3 or 4 months to become completely rid of it. Fleas are, 'BLOOD SPECIFIC' breeders. If they don't have access to animal blood, then, they can't breed. They WILL feed off you; but, they MUST return to the dog or cat in order to propagate. (In other words: Treat the dog, NOT the house the way my in-laws always insist on doing - What a mess to cleanup!) :freak:

(The reasons you should regularly vacuum and wash the animal's bedding is to pickup and kill the eggs. Keep a few mothballs inside the vacuum bag!) ;)

Once a flea infestation starts, you'll need to check for a new, 'bloom' (or hatch) at least once every three weeks. If you don't want to crap up your home with a lot of toxic chemicals, then, remember I told you that; 'Natural insecticide soaps, monthly baths, and weekly, 'hot combing' work very well!'

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about fleas, right! :supergrin:

11. SKeefe

SKeefe

Yea, I had heard people saying you can get the stuff cheaper online, but I haven't been able to.

Actually, the vet also gives us one extra month of the Frontline for free when we buy the previously mentioned combo.

12. goforitinsb

goforitinsb

There is a new product out, Revolution, that is a topical that is for fleas, ticks and heartworm all in one. Has anyone tried it?

13. dkbrucedvm

dkbrucedvm

I would disgree that frontline is "generally" considered "too strong" for dogs under a year old; in fact it's generally considered the preferred product for puppies and kittens due to it's safety profile and spectrum of action. In the US it is approved for use on puppies and kittens down to 8 weeks of age, and frontline plus is approved down to 6 weeks. It's been out since the mid-'90s, so if there was a serious problem I think we'd know by now.

I'm not a frontline shill, but frankly almost everyone I know that uses it swears by it.

14. dkbrucedvm

dkbrucedvm

Revolution has been out for a few years. It's only effective against a few species of ticks. Flea protection is OK, heartworm protection is good. It is a topical product, however, so it can be rinsed off if you bathe the animal too soon after applying (I know people who've done it, then wonder why the dog has fleas), and some skin conditions will prevent it from being absorbed.

15. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:) Cool! We've got our own Glock Talk DVM on the board. :thumbsup:

You may be very right, Doc. Several other breeders have told me this; but, I just got off the phone with one of our vets; and, he said there's no big difference AND Frontline is the more popular product.

I can tell you that as a retired dog breeder this rumor has been around for a long time, though. ;)

EDITED: Just finished speaking with our other vet. She said, pretty much, the same thing as you; except, for fleas, she gives the edge to Advantage right now because she has seen less, 'acquired resistance' to Advantage than to the older Frontline product.

So, thanks for setting this matter straight! :thumbsup:

16. dkbrucedvm

dkbrucedvm

Nothing posted here (by anyone) should be taken as veterinary advice. Can't see the animal, no client-patient relationship, etc, etc. Remember, joining GT is free, and the information may well be worth what you paid for it!

Besides, am I REALLY a dvm? Remember the old cartoon - on the internet, no one knows you're a dog!
    :)

17. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:) OK, Doc, I get the message! Besides, I have to ask myself when is, 'DVM' not a veterinarian? Here's a partial list of alternative meanings:

DVM Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
    DVM Dynamic Virtual Machine
    DVM Diploma in Veterinary Medicine
    DVM Data Verification Module
    DVM Division of Vertebrate Morphology

:upeyes: Hmmm ... Looks like you're the most likely candidate, Doc!

(Besides you gave yourself away when you provided the right answer.) ;)

18. TexasGlock23

TexasGlock23 Salty Collar

try drfostersandsmith.com or do a search for cheaper places. fosters has some yeast pill that is suppose to work and is organic IIRC.