Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Rational
14,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, here's a blast from the past. For those of you who have 4 hours to watch this, here is a Frontline Documentary from the mid-90s about the Gulf War.

I've just got done watching it. I was just a child living in the Bay Area, probably 7 years old, when the Gulf War happened. I had absolutely zero concept of what it meant or what was happening and why. I do remember some of the footage on TV, but that's about it. I don't recall any teachers talking about it at school; probably for good reason.

If any of you have any stories about your service during that time, I would love to hear them. Or if any of you have stories about those you knew who served; or indeed if the war touched you at all, please tell us.

If it's one thing I can say is that, in hindsight while watching this documentary, we could have done a better job sheltering the Kurds at the end of the war.

Also, I miss Norman Schwarzkopf. He was a real man's man. None of this "winning hearts and minds" BS like we have today. He was truly the last of one of the "Old Guard" type of Generals; like Patton.

·
Registered
43,131 Posts
I was about 20 with a good friend in the 82nd. I watched hours and hours of coverage at the time. There were a lot of unknowns going in but it was exciting to watch us be so dominating on the battlefield.

What I also found interesting is how the media reported our movements and they turned out to be flase, as misdirection, many times. I asked my buddy about jumping in at (can't recall the area) and he said 'we never did that. We just drove in'.

The waves of surrendering Iraqi troops are memorable. And the decimating tank busting.

Thanks for the link. I'll have to check it out when I have some time to view that much.

·
It ain't over
8,217 Posts
Um, no.....

Removing Saddam was the dumbest thing we as a nation ever did
This.

Removing Kaddafi is right up there with removing Saddam. Libya is Hillary's attempt at foreign policy. I don't know why Trump doesn't push the question - what makes Hillary think SHE's qualified to be president? Both she and Obama have failed miserably in that (foreign policy) respect.

·
It ain't over
8,217 Posts
In the 2nd war in Iraq, Colin Powell referred to it as a (potential) ********. I actually posted that phrase here on GT before Powell said it. Now, ~14 years later, our fists are still stuck in that ********.

·
NRA Life Member
13,337 Posts
I was with the 3d ACR. Commanded a Cavalry Troop We got to Saudi in Sept of 90, took 3 days to offload our equipment from the ships and headed straight to the Kuwaiti border.

From that point until December I never saw a paved road, crapped in a flush toilet, or talked to my wife. There was no internet and the only communication we had with the outside world was things iike the BBC on shortwave. We lives in tents or off the back of our tanks. Ate MRE's for 3 months straight with occasional t-rats and fresh fruit throw in.

Once all the other forces arrived in theater and were in position south of Kuwait we picked up and moved out west past the Saudi/Kuwaiti border and took up attack positions along the Iraqi border until we attacked into Iraq in Feb.

3 ACR provided flank security for 18th Airborne Corp as we attacked up and around Kuwait. By the time the war officially ended we attacked over 280 miles. We took up blocking positions south of the Euhprates and our mission was to prevent Iraqi forces from making it back to Baghdad. On the day after the war ended one of our UH60 helicopters on a Medivac mission was shot down by Iraqi Forces about 10km in front of our position. We were ordered to move forward and locate the downed aircraft, extract any survivors etc and try to ascertain who shot it down. As we got close the the crash site we were fired on by a Brigade of one of the Republican Guard Divisions who didn't know the war was over... This was understandable as we had obliterated their communications networks and nothing they had worked--so they literally couldn't talk to anyone. Long story longer...we had a pretty big battle with the Iraqis and destroyed quite a lot of the remaining tanks killed a bunch of people etc and after about 3 hours we captured the commander of the Brigade and the Psyops guys, translators etc went to work on him and eventually he agreed to help get his people to stop shooting before we killed them all... So they surrendered an that was the end of it.

I didn't leave until April of 1991. Talked to my wife twice during that time. Spend 3 days in a R&R dump in Jubail mid tour and that was the extent of my luxuries.. Got to fly home first class in a 747 though...

·
Registered
14,517 Posts
Damn....

**** getting real in here.
Trolling for a fight.

Not interested
Lost a good friend in the first one, lost another in the second.
Arguing "after the fact" woulda, shoulda, coulda is pointless and arguing with an opinionated fool is a waste of time

·
Registered
14,517 Posts
I was with the 3d ACR. Commanded a Cavalry Troop We got to Saudi in Sept of 90, took 3 days to offload our equipment from the ships and headed straight to the Kuwaiti border.

From that point until December I never saw a paved road, crapped in a flush toilet, or talked to my wife. There was no internet and the only communication we had with the outside world was things iike the BBC on shortwave. We lives in tents or off the back of our tanks. Ate MRE's for 3 months straight with occasional t-rats and fresh fruit throw in.

Once all the other forces arrived in theater and were in position south of Kuwait we picked up and moved out west past the Saudi/Kuwaiti border and took up attack positions along the Iraqi border until we attacked into Iraq in Feb.

3 ACR provided flank security for 18th Airborne Corp as we attacked up and around Kuwait. By the time the war officially ended we attacked over 280 miles. We took up blocking positions south of the Euhprates and our mission was to prevent Iraqi forces from making it back to Baghdad. On the day after the war ended one of our UH60 helicopters on a Medivac mission was shot down by Iraqi Forces about 10km in front of our position. We were ordered to move forward and locate the downed aircraft, extract any survivors etc and try to ascertain who shot it down. As we got close the the crash site we were fired on by a Brigade of one of the Republican Guard Divisions who didn't know the war was over... This was understandable as we had obliterated their communications networks and nothing they had worked--so they literally couldn't talk to anyone. Long story longer...we had a pretty big battle with the Iraqis and destroyed quite a lot of the remaining tanks killed a bunch of people etc and after about 3 hours we captured the commander of the Brigade and the Psyops guys, translators etc went to work on him and eventually he agreed to help get his people to stop shooting before we killed them all... So they surrendered an that was the end of it.

I didn't leave until April of 1991. Talked to my wife twice during that time. Spend 3 days in a R&R dump in Jubail mid tour and that was the extent of my luxuries.. Got to fly home first class in a 747 though...
You da man
:cheers:

This isn't Hell, but you can see it from here

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I was a 19K10 (Loader) in a tank battalion in 1st ID. The actual ground war was scary at first,
but not bad after things actually got rolling for us. Nobody at the time really knew how T-72's,
T-62's, T-55's, Type 59 would actually be in a fight. On the other hand, no tankers in our platoon
had actually fired service Sabot. Before that, and how nasty they really are. A lot of unknown's
were answered right off. I know A10 and AH64 pilots will never buy a beer if I'm around. Ditto
Artillery and Mortar crewmen. Never ceases to amaze me, how accurate fire support was.
Our Mortar platoon used "shake and bake" a couple times on trenches in front of us. Which is
HE (4.2'' at that time) mixed with WP. That was scary to just watch. Thank God above they were
on our side!

·
Registered
14,517 Posts
I was a 19K10 (Loader) in a tank battalion in 1st ID. The actual ground war was scary at first,
but not bad after things actually got rolling for us. Nobody at the time really knew how T-72's,
T-62's, T-55's, Type 59 would actually be in a fight. On the other hand, no tankers in our platoon
had actually fired service Sabot. Before that, and how nasty they really are. A lot of unknown's
were answered right off. I know A10 and AH64 pilots will never buy a beer if I'm around. Ditto
Artillery and Mortar crewmen. Never ceases to amaze me, how accurate fire support was.
Our Mortar platoon used "shake and bake" a couple times on trenches in front of us. Which is
HE (4.2'' at that time) mixed with WP. That was scary to just watch. Thank God above they were
on our side!
13B34J4M5
To you as well
:cheers:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts