close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

frontline/interceptor question

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Mrs. VR, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

hi everyone! I am sure this must be here somewhere, but it didnt show up on my search...we just adopted two adult Dobies from the Humane Society, and our Vet recommended Frontline and Interceptor for flea/heartworm prevention. Im fine with that, as we used both when we were raising a puppy for a guide dog organization, but they PROVIDED them for us then.

I have the Rx and I can buy them from the Vet if I HAVE to, but I understand you can find them online for less $$$. Does anyone know of any reliable, reputable websites where I can order them?

TIA! #wav

2. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

3. Jeep274

Jeep274 Member When?

I bought Frontline on ebay last time without a script and at a good price. It was current production, unopened and half the price of 1800petmeds or our vet. HTH.

I'm not sure about the Interceptor, we use Heartguard chewables and I have been buying those direct from our vet.

4. Mrs. VR

thanks! I was told you had to have the Rx..never even thought about Ebay.

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

S, I never checked the prices but I noticed drugstore.com was either selling or in partnership with somebody who is?

Yes, I have bought cat toys when I ordered toothpaste and shampoo ;f

6. Mrs. VR

thanks, MK, I'll check it out. These pups are about as expensive as the kids ;f

7. fredj338

fredj338

8. Armed&Feminine

Armed&Feminine Adhuc vivo!

I know this sounds silly, but, if your pups ever test positive for heartworms and you and your vet can prove that you have had them on preventative consistently and you have purchased it from your vet then the drug company will pay for the treatment (which is very costly). If you purchase the heartworm preventative from an online company then the drug company will not guarantee their product as they cannot be assured of the conditions in which it is kept and shipped.

As for the frontline - go for buying it off of ebay - the drug company has way overpriced that and it doesn't have any such guarantee.

And one other thing - yea for the interceptor! Heartgard sucks!

9. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

I asked my vets about Heartgard. They all said that it was better then Interceptor. I don't have a DVM degree, but I trust those who do.

10. Mrs. VR

I'm most familier with interceptor because we used it with the guide dog pup we raised. The thing about the drug company's paying for treatment is really interesting, I'll look into that.

11. Armed&Feminine

Armed&Feminine Adhuc vivo!

At the clinic I work for the different drug companies have paid for a couple of dog's treatment. It saved the owners at least $500.00.

12. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

i've always used Heartgard (sp). 'bout 5 bucks a 'pill,' takes care of the heartworm and leaves me at ease. up
    'north' as we are, heartworm season is about 6 months long, and you don't need to worry about it from november-april/may (BUT i always cover my pup for a month or two before, don't wanna take the chance).

for the money, i keep her on it prolly 9 months a year, and would do it year long no problem, just don't see the need. ;)