close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Front Sight ------------- Only

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Don At PC, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Okay since we are supposed to concentrate ONLY on the front sight when shooting has anyone ever tried removing the rear sight to keep you from being tempted to try to align the front and rear sight? Let me hear your thoughts.

Would that be legal in GSSF?

Don

2. jab

jab

hmmmmmmmm...............?? Thanks Don,now someone needs to figure out if NO SIGHTS is a competitive advantage.:rofl::rofl:

3. ede

ede Bama's Friend

why don't you give it a try next weekend and let us know how it works out, or we can just check you scores on line and find out.

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

It's legal, and I agree with Ede. Please give it a try at Morganton, in Am/Civ.

5. Don At PC

Come on now, you guys are just too easy. Just think about it a minute. If you are shooting a Red Dot like in Unlimited you are not worrying about any sight alignment, you put the dot on target and with proper trigger control your shot impacts on target. Does it not seem logical that if you put a Fiber Optic front sight on your stock gun, removed the rear sight so you would not be distracted by it and put the FO on your target you would be essentially doing the same thing?

I do plan on giving it a try at my next trip to the practice range. No I will not be trying it at a match until I prove or dissprove it at a practice session.:tongueout:

But seriously, I thought this sounded logical in a limited enviroment like GSSF where you are only shooting a pistol and no farther than 25 yards. I don't believe it would work with a long gun at long ranges. That is like comparing apples to oranges.

Don

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  6. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

I was RO'ing at Indy several years ago and hadn't planned on shooting...Things got calm(er)...no lines...so I went to the truck and grabbed the G-27 from the kick panel and scrounged up some ammo...
    I hadn't really looked at the pistol, but bringing it up on the plates I saw the rear sight was still in the truck.
    I went ahead and used it-front sight only- but it wasn't a real stellar shooting performance.If I recall right I was OK left and right, but had trouble up and down.
    My favorite shorts gun is a 340 Sc with an XS big dot on it- and it's ALOT like having no rear sight.

7. ede

ede Bama's Friend

in all seriousness someone i was shooting USPSA with lost his sight. he did OK on paper but had a hard time on steel even with people calling his misses. if i were to do something along these lines i wouldn't eliminate the rear sight but maybe do what i could to minimize it so you could still have a referance point.

8. Don At PC

Rikki; Thanks for the input. I still want to try it at one of my trips to the practice range, if the darn rain ever gets out of here. It just sticks in my mind that this should work.

I am very interested in any and all comments for or against my theory. I don't know if my logic is flawed or not but am anxious to find out and would like to hear any thoughts y'al might have.

Don

9. SMLR

SMLR

There was an article in March/April 2008 issue of Front Sight (the USPSA journal) about a guy out in California who goes by the name of "Uncle Dan" who shoots an unsighted 1911 in USPSA Open Division with no sights (no dot, no irons) and is very successful with it.

10. SMLR

SMLR

11. Don At PC

12. DannyR

Don,

Acting upon the sound advice of you, my elder, I have painted my front sight red and removed my rear sight. If I don't shoot better, then I suggest you run for cover.

13. Don At PC

Now I am not suggesting trying it in a match before you test it in practice. I shoot a 19 in stock in the match but the stock 17 I was shooting last year now has a red FO front and no rear. I will test it out during my next trip to the practice range.:embarassed:

I can screw up bad enough in a match without adding to it. I want to try to get to the range for some practice this week.

Don

14. DannyR

Practice? That's cheating.:rofl:

15. lclick

lclick Glockaholic

Hi Don,
    I haven't tried it your way but did try the reverse option. My front sight flew off in the middle of the Glock M at Conyers a few years ago. I managed to stay on paper and hit the poppers but it was not among my best scores. However the "Random Gods" did give me a pistol for it. Go figure!

16. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i think it'd be a lot easier to do with a 2011 and especially a tri topped 2011 than a glock.

17. Don At PC

Doesn't look like I will get a chance to try it until after the Morganton Match. Everytime I try to plan a range trip something seems to screw it up. I will still post my findings after I get to the practice range.

Don

18. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

Don if it would work at say 25 yds why would you bother to level up the front and rear sights?

19. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Front sight? There's a front sight on Glocks?

Damn, I need new glasses.......

:supergrin:

20. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

Hey Butch!
    Don't you mean "Thicker" glasses!:supergrin:

Dan:cool: