Glock 17 Front sight is crooked on G17

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by c223, Sep 21, 2007.

Tags:
  1. c223

c223

Got my G17 yesterday but the front sight is crooked (Trijicon Night Sight). If looking from the top rear of the slide, the sight is slightly rotated counterclockwise.

I have been told, and have read that all I need to do it grab the sight with some non-marring pliers and twist it to straighten them out. I am a bit uncomfy with this for a few reasons:

1. I am VERY finnicky about my guns and would be extremely upset if rotating the sight back scratched the finish on the slide from the friction.

2. I don't know how much force to use, and don't want to find out by breaking the sight post.

I have searched far and wide for a 3/16" hex driver that would fit but they are all too thick. So I am considering buying this tool, because it's cheap and I will probably never use it after the sight is fixed...

ht tp://glockparts.com/?mainURL=/store/category/ci1h/Tools.html (just remove the space between the T's in http)

Have any of you used this tool? It's the cheapest one I could find that would ship to Canada. Or are you guys POSITIVE that I am safe turning the sight with non marring pliers? I just want to reiterate that this is my first pistol and my only pistol, it's my pride an joy and I don't want to scratch it... LOL

2. Kentucky_Guy

Kentucky_Guy

I would not spend $35 on the tool..is there a local gunsmith you can take it to????

you will also need to re-apply "loctite" to the screw thread so it will not come loose....once you break the screw loose you will need to apply it to the hex-screw again...

definitely do not "adjust" it by taking pliers and twisting the front site...

3. c223

c223

Thanks for your reply. We do have a Glock armourer about 45 mins drive from where I live, but to be honest. I prefer doing things myself as I don't really trust people who's work I have not seen before. Also the gas it would cost me there and back and for them to do the sight I could buy a tool.

What about the Ed Brown tool from Brownells that fits into a screw driver?

ht tp://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1304&title=FRONT+SIGHT+TOOL+for+GLOCK~

The other tool I mentioned is only $7. This one is $12. I just can't justify spending $30 plus shipping on the other ones for a single use.

4. Kentucky_Guy

Kentucky_Guy

then i would go ahead and get that less-expensive nut-driver and do it yourself...just remember to apply the loc-tite (you can get that at any hardware store) so the screw doesnt come loose :wavey:

5. Scott30

Scott30

Get a standard 3/16 socket and grind/sand the outer diameter down to what will fit into the slide properly for the sight nut. Make sure that you use blue or red loctite on the threads for the reinstallation.

6. Spike89

Spike89

+1

Used a $3 hex driver from hardware store, filed away the sides and face to make it fit.

You might try taking a hairdryer to the front sight first to heat it up and loosen the red loctite.

To remove/loosen loctite:
    Blue: Can be removed with hand tools
    Red: Apply heat to remove
    Green: Apply heat to remove

7. ecmills

ecmills I shoot guns.

Do what they said. A few second with a belt sander, and a cheap 3/16 nut-driver will fit most of them. It takes a LOT of sanding to make it fit a long-slide, but the 17 doesn't require much material to be removed from most cheap 3/16 tools.

Loosen the screw, apply one SMALL drop of red loctite, and tighten. Make sure to hold the front sight square while you tighten it.

I would not attempt to twist the front sight while the nut is tight, either. You'd likely snap the screw on the front sight.

Make sure to use RED thread-locking compound. The blue stuff comes loose in about 500 rounds - ask me how I know. ;)

8. paul newton

paul newton G21c G30

good call red is best been in the blue myself take your time you can replace that Easy:thumbsup:

9. ososghost

ososghost Proud Virginian

Cheap and it does the job well, I installed a set of Meps on my new G20 the old fashion way and this tool. You won't regret it + their customer service is second to none.

Cheap Front Sight Tool

10. RayB

RayB Retired Member

The person that installed it is a knob. :freak:

It's rotated clockwise from final tightening--against the torque from below.

My gun shop did the same thing with Judy's Trijs on her G19. I complained and loudly. I gave it back saying, "This isn't my gun! I'll be back tomorrow for my gun!"

The next day, it was ready, it was right, and I was given a free pass to the range.

Later it loosened and fell off. :upeyes:

I've had to re-mount every front sight myself, except the crimped-on Meps on my G21... :sad:

In addition to advice given...

Wash the sight post and nut and blast dry with canned air. Use alcohol with a Q-tip on all metal-to-metal surfaces, then blast dry.

Remember to wash your hands and dry them thoroughly. A rinse with alcohol isn't a bad idea. Skin oils act as a release agent--like Pam.

Make sure the last adjustment is a tightening one.

NOTE: Do not get alcohol or other solvents on upper sights--Trijicon paints their white markers on. :shocked:

Good luck! :thumbsup:

--Ray