Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had never owned night sights before, so made my first purchase off Truglo TFX Pros based on reviews. There are a lot of reasons I wasn't enamored with these sights after I installeed them, but particularly the front sight. I've stated those reasons about them in another thread so I'll leave all that alone here. There are several reasons why I was unhappy with them. I wanted to replace them and got a set of Ameriglo Protectors. I decided initially to change the front before changing the rear, having to re-zero and that headache. Actually the TFX works quite well with the Ameriglo front so I'm leaving the TFX rear on for now as I've "de-horned" it and put a lumi dot on for figure 8 alignment. The Ameriglo front even with the TFX rear is more accurate vertically. But more importantly, SO much easier to pick up visually. But probably more importantly, the Truglo front with the Truglo rear caused me to shoot low when aligned properly. The shorter Ameriglo front has corrected that.

For those interested I taped the TFX front next to the Ameriglo and photographed the sights in 4 different lighting situations. Sadly I ended up buying sights a second time. Granted the Truglo set had 3 tritium vials and assuredly more costly to make. But he Ameriglo set was HALF the cost of the Truglo set.

The photo below provides a fairly accurate representation of the brightness of the front sights side by side. [The Ameriglo Protector rear is blacked out and serrated)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i have these on my glocks.....truly love them, not only are they tritium they're also fluorescent....ameriglo gl-352, around $60 amazon, ebay, etc..... View attachment 960253
Yes... My Ameriglo front is the exact same as the GL-352. The set is the GL-705. I liked the idea of the extended rear of the 705. But I do like a U notch, I like figure 8 and I think the extended rear provides a little more sighting distance so I left the Truglo rear on, especially because the combination now shoots where I point it. FWIW the Truglo front also robbed me of 1/2" of sighting distance as well as being fat, making it hard to sight precisely horizontally and shooting low.

Here is a picture of the GL-705. The difference is the rear. I'd like this rear too but would put a lumi dot on it for figure 8 alignment if I ever install it. IMO the Lumi-green outline makes this sight in most conditions and is even brighter than the fiber optic in the daylight. The one thing I hadn't mentioned was the Truglo front would sometimes hang up on my slide holster. I had to cut more channel into it to accommodate the extra height.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the only reason I went with the gl352... it's easier to do one hand manipulations, racking the slide...
One of the few benefits of the TFX Pro rear... But the corners are sharp! I did get cut once when the slide slipped while racking. I HAD to dehorn the back of the rear sight and also installed a leather sweat guard on my holster.

Reactions: Buckshot Barry

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I had never owned night sights before, so made my first purchase off Truglo TFX Pros based on reviews. There are a lot of reasons I wasn't enamored with these sights after I installeed them, but particularly the front sight. I've stated those reasons about them in another thread so I'll leave all that alone here. There are several reasons why I was unhappy with them. I wanted to replace them and got a set of Ameriglo Protectors. I decided initially to change the front before changing the rear, having to re-zero and that headache. Actually the TFX works quite well with the Ameriglo front so I'm leaving the TFX rear on for now as I've "de-horned" it and put a lumi dot on for figure 8 alignment. The Ameriglo front even with the TFX rear is more accurate vertically. But more importantly, SO much easier to pick up visually. But probably more importantly, the Truglo front with the Truglo rear caused me to shoot low when aligned properly. The shorter Ameriglo front has corrected that.

For those interested I taped the TFX front next to the Ameriglo and photographed the sights in 4 different lighting situations. Sadly I ended up buying sights a second time. Granted the Truglo set had 3 tritium vials and assuredly more costly to make. But he Ameriglo set was HALF the cost of the Truglo set.

The photo below provides a fairly accurate representation of the brightness of the front sights side by side. [The Ameriglo Protector rear is blacked out and serrated)

View attachment 960243
I did a similar analysis a couple years ago. The differences are subtile and probably impossible to pick up in an actual defensive encounter. But when I put a red dot on, I realized what all the excitement was about. Red dots simply blow tritium and paint out of the water. Ya just can't miss it in a low light situation..

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did a similar analysis a couple years ago. The differences are subtile and probably impossible to pick up in an actual defensive encounter. But when I put a red dot on, I realized what all the excitement was about. Red dots simply blow tritium and paint out of the water. Ya just can't miss it in a low light situation..
No question. I have a nice red dot on my AR so I get it. Perhaps one day I'll have enough extra side cash to have my slide milled and get a red dot... or upgrade to a MOS. The thing is about possible encounters, there are so many variables that dictate the circumstances and amount of time we have to respond. While I'm sure a red dot would be a huge advantage over iron sights, for the moment I've opted for a laser which I have been training to switch on immediately during draw. The advantage to the laser as I see it is that I don't have to have my pistol at eye level to have a reasonable expectation to be on target. If I'm distracted or get locked onto the movement of the assailant I have a similar advantage to that as a red dot. A built in flash light that comes on simultaneously doesn't hurt even though it wouldn't be much use outdoors at a significant distance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts