Front Cuffing; I Am Beside Myself.............

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by seanmac45, Oct 17, 2015.

1. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

2. Dave514

Dave514

Well, they should just make them breakaway for officer safety. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

You can't fix stupid.

TBO likes this.

3. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

I know Bratton is a hand puppet, but I thought he had more common sense than this. It flies in the face of every basic tenet of officer safety.

Hopefully the unions will unite and put an immediate stop to this nonsense before some cop pays the bill with his life.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    ElevenBravoDotNet, janice6 and TBO like this.
  4. Jon_R

Jon_R

Story says front cuff will be allowed but it is up to the officer. Did I read it wrong?

The story said it should be limited to people that are no a physical threat but to do it rest with the officer to decide.

janice6 and firefighter4215 like this.
  5. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

As a former Lieutenant I am painfully aware that cops will often take the easier way out if allowed. Up to this point front cuffing was strictly prohibited absent exigent circumstances (ie arm cast etc.). To consider permitting front cuffing at the officer's discretion is a road to disaster.

Rabbi, janice6, Dragoon44 and 2 others like this.
  6. firefighter4215

firefighter4215

It would be a rare event that front cuffing would be appropriate. But, it can occasionally be justified.

7. Newcop761

Newcop761 CLM

Bad idea. Per our policy if I anticipate transport much over an hour we will switch someone out to belly chains and leg irons.

The ONLY way that cuffing in front can be done safely is with a belly chain.

For less than $20 officers could be be given a belly chain to throw in their car / tricky bag.
    Absent a belly chain and a really thorough search front cuffing should remain prohibited.

[​IMG]

8. mj9mm

mj9mm

Require a note from a doctor for a front cuff.
    What kind of moron comes up with this crap? Nursery school teachers now writing law enforcement SOP's?

janice6 likes this.
  9. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

The NYPD will issue/permit belly chains when pigs fly. (Wait, we have an aviation unit.............)

ANYWAY
    This whole move is a panacea to the anti-cop movement in NYC. Look Folks!!! We're front cuffing now to show what a softer, nicer police department we have become. Prisoners will be more comfortable!!!

It's enough to make me puke.

TBO, janice6 and Newcop761 like this.
  10. janice6

janice6

I'm not a cop and even I can see the potential danger in this.

TBO likes this.
  11. dennis3dflyer

dennis3dflyer

I was cuffed in the front during arrest and transport handgun carry violation baltimore city. And no there were no injuries ect preventing rear cuffing. I will respond back if a correct guess as to why they cuffed me in the front is stated.

A little clue, that favor could have gotten me in trouble or killed.

AZJERRY likes this.
  12. Glock-O-Rican

Glock-O-Rican

The department I work for in the late 1970's allowed "front cuffing", of disable persons, pregnant women, and children under 14 years at the deputies descression. If memory serves me correctly I never had to use the technique.

Today I honestly think the "average" person going to jailis far more dangerious, and doesn't even think about the concenquences of attempting escape, assaulting or killing a law enforcement officer.

I do not understand why people in 2015 appear more violent than in the 1970's, but that is my observation. Correct me if I am wrong.

13. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Anyone who would try to correct you on that point is a fool.

14. janice6

janice6

I agree with you, and propose that the problem is due to a lack of respect, for themselves, for other people, and for society's laws.

Today it seems everybody is a winner, even the losers.

waawaaweenie, OGW and seanmac45 like this.
  15. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

Sorry, I'm just not sharing the angst on this one. It's an option, not a mandate. It seems pretty clear that the discretion is being left to the individual officer. The phrase "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes," that we're all so fond of around here applies to us as well as the criminals. If an officer doesn't have enough sense to determine the difference between a gangbanger and a grandma, then shame on him.

If and when the admin weenies start ordering the troops to do it, I'll muster up some outrage.

OFCJIM40 likes this.
  16. Cashgap

Cashgap

Not a cop.

This brings in the whole mess of "Officer, you had the authority to front cuff my non-violent first offender client, yet you maliciously chose to rear cuff due to my client's race/age/weight/marital status/political ideology/dress, directly leading to...."

TBO and RetailNinjitsu like this.
  17. OFCJIM40

OFCJIM40 Happy Jaeger

I'm with Dukeboy on this one. It doesn't mandate it, just simply allows for it. I did handcuff an 8 month pregnant woman in front that was arrested for felony theft. She was searched by a female officer and was then secured in the rear of my fully caged squad. If I can't handle that situation, I'll hand in my badge.

18. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jesus... I'd like to say this is unbelievable... but I can't because it doesn't surprise me. Even just being permitted... I have to admit the idea of this makes me cringe. An officer is going to get lax, he's going to do a crappy search, and he's going to get killed.

Who was the guy (it's been several years ago now)... two detectives in Florida cuffed a guy in front who was under investigation for the death of his child, on the way to the police station he ends up shooting them both, eventually holed up in a gas station or convenience store, only to die (can't remember if it was self inflicted or SWAT that got him). Ring a bell?

I don't envy you guys out there.

19. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    I have but three words for the people who made this policy : Hank Earl Carr.

IndyGunFreak likes this.