GlockTalk Forum banner

20241 - 20260 of 20420 Posts

·
Registered
9,054 Posts
You guys are gonna laugh at me, but I was just at Aldi with my niece and picked this up after she would not stop raving about how good everything is there. It was under $7 and I gotta tell you it is a quality Bock.

I've previously posted about Trader Joe's beer and how much I like it. Guess who owns them? Hmmm...

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
You guys are gonna laugh at me, but I was just at Aldi with my niece and picked this up after she would not stop raving about how good everything is there. It was under $7 and I gotta tell you it is a quality Bock.

I've previously posted about Trader Joe's beer and how much I like it. Guess who owns them? Hmmm...

View attachment 883448
I got this from Aldi many months ago...
Its not good.

20201130_154526.jpg

·
Registered
9,054 Posts
So I did some reading on Aldi beers after this. Apparently there are about 12 varieties, and opinions seem pretty uniform that 8 of them suck. The 4 good ones are:

Monterrey Cerveza
Bacher Lager
Wernesgrüner - favorite
Brecken Bock

I might go for the Wernesgruner next

·
Registered
9,054 Posts
OK, I promise no more posts on ALDI beer after this.

I needed a green bean casserole so I went and bought the supplies. It is currently half gone.

Bought 2 sixes also. They are not quite half gone.

Bought the Brecken Bock again, it really is a drinkable brew. Not great or complex but good. I would compare it to Michelob amber bock. Malty but not much else. Not a bad finish.

The other 6 I bought was the Wernesgruner German Pils - the most highly rated ALDI beer.

So....yuck. I know, I know...don't judge me.

It has a nice bitterness, but nothing else. No malt flavor and the finish disappears quicker than a fart in a hurricane.

If this was their best rated beer, I'm glad I didn't venture into the lower shelf.

I did get a cart without putting a quarter in...so I got that going for me.

·
Registered
9,054 Posts
What's scary about the best side dish of all time?

It's gone now, and my beer supply is dwindling. Sometimes when I buy questionable beer I have to drink it quickly to hide the evidence.

·
Pinky Out
59,181 Posts
Very happy with this one!
A very nice balance of peanut butter with chocolate
Not a strong peanut butter with chocolate notes

”This full bodied imperial porter is a mix of peanut butter and chocolate flavors, fruit esters, and coffee notes so heavenly, you’ll exclaim a new name....”

Cheers, Homies. 🍻

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Very happy with this one!
A very nice balance of peanut butter with chocolate
Not a strong peanut butter with chocolate notes

”This full bodied imperial porter is a mix of peanut butter and chocolate flavors, fruit esters, and coffee notes so heavenly, you’ll exclaim a new name....”

Cheers, Homies. 🍻

View attachment 884162
I like most duclaws brews. I need to try that one. Gf really liked it also

·
USN Retired
7,656 Posts
There was not hardly anything on days at the Navy Exchange. I've been spoiled, lately with 12 packs of Fat Tire and both Modelos for $13.
I got this. Kinda light and fruity for me.
Meh... It'll get consumed.

·
Pinky Out
59,181 Posts
There was not hardly anything on days at the Navy Exchange. I've been spoiled, lately with 12 packs of Fat Tire and both Modelos for $13.
I got this. Kinda light and fruity for me.
Meh... It'll get consumed.
I have had that while at Miller’s Ale House in NJ if memory serves me correct.

And yes, it was just alright. 🍻

·
Watcher.
40,263 Posts

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
I hope I don't step on too many toes here....

I finally found the Yuengling Hershey Porter. Unfortunately, it's a one and done for me. I am truly a fan of Yuengling. Their Traditional Lager or Golden Pilsner are a staple for me.

This new offering wasn't terrible. The chocolate was imbalanced with the hops, IMO. Overall, a subpar offering compared to the surprisingly "cheaper" Founders product. Others as well.

I don't regret buying it. Yuengling has earned a place at the table. I like nearly all of their products. I'd buy this one again if it was by itself. It isn't though. :oops:
I also ran across it at my local supermarket recently. I agree with your impressions. A bit too sweet, and the chocolate eliminated any complexity it could have had. A predominantly malty porter is OK, but this was quite unbalanced.

Goes pretty well with chicken hindaloo, though.

Reactions: G30SF/F-250

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
It certainly has...

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I'm warming the palette up with a couple of yuenglings

20241 - 20260 of 20420 Posts