From No Glocks to 3

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by lawboy, Feb 4, 2010.

1. lawboy

lawboy

I hope this belongs in this forum instead of "carry issues"; I apologize in advance if that's the case.

Anyway, I have been an on-again, off-again gun owner since turning 21. I grew up with guns in the home, but no one in my family hunted or was involved in shooting sports. The guns that were in the home were an assortment of hunting rifes and a shotgun, with no ammo in the house or handguns of any kind. When I grew up and went to college, I would go out with friends to their farm, etc. and shoot pistols now and again, and I owned a Beretta 92FS for years that stayed loaded, but never fired, under the bed. When my first kid was old enough to start "exploring" in the house, I sold the Beretta. We live in a nice neighborhood that has had one burglary (daylight, no one home) since the first homes were built in the division, so I saw no need to have a firearm.

Fast forward a few years, and there is an incident at my law office. Someone with a 20 year old grudge against my boss decides to put seven .45 ACP rounds through the building at 2:00 a.m. Granted, no one was at the office, and I'm positive the guy (who was caught) did not think there would be, but there have been occasions where I have been at the office working on a brief at that time (either staying that late, or getting there that early). Since I practice family law, and it is unavoidable that I will on occasion have an opposing party upset about what I do, I decided to get a Remington 870 for the house, with a loaded magazine and breach lock, with the key to the lock secured in a quick release safe.

Despite being able to get to the key to the breach lock, unlocking it, and chambering a shell in a matter of seconds, I had lingering concerns about not being able to get my hands on something faster, so I went ahead and purchased a S&W Sigma SW9VE (yes, I know, but it was only $300, and I did not expect to ever really use it unless I could not get the 870 running fast enough).

Not long after, I picked up a Glock 26 for the car (I live in Texas, and you can have a concealed handgun in your vehicle, without a permit). I quickly experienced the positive feeling gun owners have about Glocks, but still can't quite figure out why. It's blocky, it's not attractive, but I like it a lot. Even though I had not taken the Sigma to the range, I had enough concern over the trigger feel (mushy, and no good sense of when the firing pin is going to engage) that I bought another Beretta. Thinking that I would like and be familiar with it, I quickly realized that I still preferred something about the G26, even without firing a shot with it. Within the next two weeks, I sold both the Sigma and the 92FS, and now own a G26, G19, and finally a G17. I have also signed up for my concealed carry permit class, and am planning to qualify with the G19.

This is such an informative and entertaining forum, that I thought I would share my experience. I look forward to actually shooting the guns I have now, rather than leaving them under the bed.

I've searched the forums well regarding holsters for concealed carry, and I'm interested in a tuckable IWB holster for the G19 and maybe the G26. Some have mentioned that the kydex style holsters may produce wear on the slide. How much of a problem is this with a Crossbreed or M-Tac style holster? I know Glocks are tools and not fashion accessories, but I like to keep my belongings looking good when I can. Am I better off with an all-leather holster, or is the wear produced by Kydex no big deal? I'm about 6'0", and 235 (down from 300 in ten months), and will not be carrying to work. My weekend attire is usually a tucked in white undershirt with a colored t-shirt (untucked) or golf shirt (tucked), so I would at least like the option of a tuckable IWB holster, even if I won't always need it.

Thanks in advance.

2. lawboy

lawboy

3. bac1023

bac1023

4. Tdog1

Tdog1

Congrats on the new family members. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Glock perfection

5. Arkhog

Arkhog Slightly Bitter

You mention going from zero to three Glocks in two weeks. Have you shot any of them yet?

6. TACC GLOCK

TACC GLOCK SEMPER FIDELIS

I own 3 Crossbreed Supertuck's and would not trade them for anything.

7. hatrix

hatrix

Might try a MTAC iwb holster. If you get the slide version you can use it for all 3 of your glocks!

Its also a good holster

8. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

9. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

This FTW

10. lawboy

lawboy

I've made a trip to the range and shot all three. I'm happy with all of them. No malfunctions with any of them shooting Winchester white box ammo.

11. den888

den888

Welcome to GT...

12. Conan1

Conan1

13. ronin.45

ronin.45

Good choices in guns. There are many tuckable holsters around. I like leather but a good hybrid like the comp-tacs and such shouldn't cause much wear. You will get more wear if you start competing and drawing more. I do recommend both by the way. Having the gun is only the first step.

14. ironman23

ironman23 Member

I have an MTAC and I love it. It's definitely worth the price.

15. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Welcome to the site from Austin lawboy.