Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today started off much like any other day, other than a phone call from a family member asking if I got off work early enough to get a pup out of a shelter for them. The shelter closed in the late afternoon and family member worked till 7 tonight, didn't want to risk waiting until tomorrow as it's not a very good shelter, very rural, no funding. Of course these are the types of shelters that I usually end up bringing dogs home from only to fix them up and rehome them at a later date. Every day left there is danger for a young pup.

I drive the approx. 45 minutes to the shelter, arrive and within a couple of minutes establish that the pup in question was adopted a week ago :faint: , despite multiple phone calls today from both he and I establishing that the pup was being adopted today. I won't even attempt to understand or explain that, as this is life in the rescue world. You learn that the nice shelters keep up on these types of things, the low funded dumpy ones don't know who's coming and going on a day to day basis, who has already been adopted or euthanized, etc...

So I said to myself.....self, I'm already here. I might as well zip through and see if there are any shepherds or high mixes here, make sure they look ok and have a chance of making it out into a home. Of course in the back of my mind I hope that I won't see anything, but I check each cage of barking dogs. Mostly pittie types, a couple labs that were already on a rescue hold, some hound mixes. And in the back of one kennel laid the most pathetic little black and tan bundle who paid me no attention upon coming to his cage. He was lethargic and curled up in a ball. When I inquired about him I was informed that "that one" (not he, she...) was in an outdoor pen next to a larger dog at the shelter. The larger dog dug under the pen and attacked the pup leaving approx. a dozen puncture wounds on his inner thighs, legs, one on the throat, and a couple on the cheek.

I reminded myself that I'm currently paying a very large vet bill on my horse, but then the pup looked at me, and as they say....his fate was sealed. I wasn't leaving the shelter without him, because they made it clear that vet care there wasn't going to happen, and it was obvious he either had parvo or a nasty infection going on.

So I paid his $30 pull fee, signed my name twice, acknowledged they'd done all they could, and we headed off in hopes of finding a vet who was still open by the time I got back to my side of town.

He was basically given a clean bill of health by the vet, although he's pretty banged up and beyond exhausted. He's on anti-biotics and a pain killer (he's pretty sore on his left hind leg which has 5 or 6 good punctures). He's an adorable and sweet pup, but of course he's pretty out of sorts right now. The family member fell in love with him (took him over after the vet visit) and he's residing there for the moment. Probably permanently. They live in a very nice (large) apt, and no sheps are allowed. He's a mix for sure, but a high mix and looks awfully shepherdy, so it may not fly. He will come live with me if it's a no-go.

In the tub, getting the poop and grime washed off. Can't even express how nasty and dirty he was.

As said, very - VERY - tired!

This was by far the most I could get him to perk up, also shows best that there's a bit something else going on there breed-wise. The ear set to me says some kind of retriever. Lab maybe.

He is about 4 months old per the vet, and lost several of his puppy teeth in the attack.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You are doing a great thing...he has beautiful eyes and what you are doing for him he will never forget and give you back a million times more each time you look at him.
I wish you both a VERY long time together and keep up the good work

G

·
Platz:
You are truly a wonderful person. Those GSD eyes will get you every time, won't they. I know, I had one for 12 years. Still carry her picture in my wallet.
That looks like one happy puppy that will love you forever.

I know that there's a special place in heaven for people like you.

Thank you for being there....
:supergrin:
Eagle

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He's doing well today in his possible future home, got a report that he slept peacefully through the night and they were greeted in the AM by a wagging tail. He's eating, drinking, and doing his business. Wounds will heal up in time. :)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Platz,
He is one handsome little guy. You did an awesome deed as others have said. I hope he can remain in his present surrounding, however, if he can't I know he will be welcome in your home. He will be loved and cared you. That can be told by your unselfish act of rescuing him from the setting he was in.
Rick

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, guys. :) He's officially been adopted by the family as the apartment manager ok'd him. He's not had a single "accident" and is loving life right now.

His name is now Tucker, rather than "kennel 25."

·
Watcher.
40,578 Posts
It's always better ta have a name rather than a/n #.Nice job/Well DONE.'08.

<<<Has a pound puppy friend.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
You did good.

That's a fine looking pup. Some of the best ones come from doggie jail.

That dog definately has some lab-ish qualities around the head :)

Aint a darned thing wrong with that either.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'd like to shake your hand, keep up the good work.:wavey:

·
1,394 Posts
You did a great thing giving that cute pup a chance for a happy life.
He's a good looking fella.

·
NRA&GOA
385 Posts
That is a good looking pup. It does resemble a shep/lab mix. More shep than lab. But anyway the family member is probably happy and in time the dog will start acting a fool. Once that happens the dog is or has adjusted to the new home. Dogs are funny that way. My lab/pit mix that passed last year was kinda quiet but about 2 weeks or so he was acting like a big goofy dog. Same with Maggie and Chief. Maggie was purely exhausted the day I brought her home. Chief took a nap on the way home. It took them around 2 to 3 weeks to start acting like they like me or something....

Probably the same is going to happen the pup. Quiet at first, then happy all the time...

:smiley:

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yup, as we all suspected, it took a few days but the quiet snoozing 100% of the time pup turned into the usual teenage pup (in a good way). He's still a calm and quiet kind of dog, but definitely all puppy. Totally housetrained now, learning basic obedience well, and in general a happy and content pup.

·
It Says Aikido
518 Posts
Just found this thread so if its coming a little late sorry.

Thats a great thing you did. The pic in the bathtub is priceless!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts