close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Friendship at the range

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by TrooperDan, Sep 10, 2002.

1. TrooperDan

TrooperDan

Whenever Nan and I are able to attend a GSSF match we always say that the friendship and social side of the match is a large part of the fun. It is great to see friends that we've made over the years and to joke with them as we wait for our turn in the stack. The Friday nights dinner meetings are an important part of the weekends fun for us... knife check and all :)

But I've wondered if the friendship and familarity that we enjoy isn't intimidating to shooters that don't know us yet? I try to speak to anyone that I don't recognise and try to make them feel a part of the group and I imagine that most of us do the same. It was just two years ago at Statesville when Nan and I began GSSF and I'll tell you frankly that the biggest reason we've enjoyed GSSF so much has been the helpful and friendly attitude of the shooters we met that weekend.

If you are a recent beginner in GSSF, I'd like to hear your impressions of your welcome at the range. And I'd like to remind all of us to be on the lookout for those unfamilar faces and to welcome them to the fold.

Dan & Nan in NC

;)

2. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Dan;
    Very well said; you hit the nail right on the head. I totally agree and I know all the members of "Team Sidearmor" try our best to meet and greet everyone we can but I am sure we miss a few but it is not because we don't want to make them feel welcome. Patricia and Jeff have done so much to support our team and Coach Danny has really done a great job keeping everyone in line. We owe it to them to do our very best to not only represent the team as best we can with our shooting but also taking the initiative to welcome new folks and make them feel like part of our big GSSF Family.

Thanks again Dan & Nan for your thoughts; these comments are needed from time to time.

Hope to see everyone at Conyers.

3. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

When Dan and I spoke about this yesterday I started thinking about how we appear at matches. We have a lot of fun, and it's possible we stay a little to ourselves with our teasing, talking and "helpful" hints to each other as we shoot. ;f Between Team Sidearmor, the Gunsmoke gang and the Jersey Four (do you like that Glenn?) we were having a lot of fun at Statesville so we might have appeared a little distracted from the other shooters. Also several of us have been working real hard to make that A-1 position in various catagories so it's possible we do get a little tunnel vision at times, I know that I occationally do. At my advanced age I have to work hard just to remember the names of folks I've already met, (right Glockhp?) so if you see us come on over and visit, other than when I'm shooting I'm half human most of the time. Hardly any of us bite, well, maybe glockNstein. ;f I for one would like to be able to put faces with names online. And last but not least, don't say you didn't see us, we wear gray shirts, white hats (good guys?) and range in size from about 5'6" to 6'3.5" (and I weigh in at 265), we are hard to miss.

Want to see our pistols, just ask. Want to see our Sidearmor holster, just ask. What we know, we share, just like here online.

4. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

I shot the GSSF shoot in Dallas this year.

I am a social loner and I happily kept to myself.
    I appreciated that all the best shooters I saw seemed perfectly willing to let me watch them, and the range food was appropriate and well priced.

Next year, I need better ear protection. Those $200 earmuffs are a bargain after of day of inserting and removing earplugs.

5. mcginnes

mcginnes Safety Officer Millennium Member

You need to bump up that top end a little bit. I'm 6'5" 280lbs.

6. TrooperDan

TrooperDan

Hey Geminicricket!

Dallas is a bit out of my territory but I'll bet you saw Bobby Carver there. Not only is he one of the top GSSF shooter (and other sports as well) but he is one of the nicest guys around!

I guess the point I wanted to make is if there are shooters out there that show up at a match and feel a little "not in the clique", just join right in the "activities". We might sometimes get a little involved and not notice you at first but we are eager to make your acquaintance!

Dan & Nan in NC

7. GJM89

GJM89

Jerry, "The Jersey Four" is fine, I thought we were the "Jersey Contingent", but I keep spelling it wrong and "The Jersey Four" is easier to spell. By the way what kinda scale do you weigh yourself on I mean it's accurate ,right. ;Q ;Q I've been shooting GSSF for several years now and the people I've met and the friendships that have been made are terrific. When I was younger I was often the first person to offer someone help if I saw them doing somthing wrong, comes from being an instructor at the Police Academy. This I found to be good for some people and offensive to other's, even though I always offered the help in a friendly manner. Now that I am SLIGHTLY older, if I know ya I might just say somthing, not that I know everything, but if I don't know you then I'll just wait to be asked. Then I tell them to just ask you.;) ;)Unless it's Phil then I have a million good ideas on how to shot a GSSF match the CORRECT way. But while I don't wear the grey shirt or wear the white hat,by the way does that mean I'm a bad guy, if I can help anyone just look for the manly, GOODLOOKING, guy wearing the FBI Newark hat and say hello.If I know the answer I'll tell ya, if I don't, hopefully I can send you to someone that does know. Theres a ton of knowledge at all of the match's that I go to. Jerry, How does "The Jersey Family" sound to you.;d ;d

8. Nukem

Nukem

It's certainly not a "new" idea, but my wife and I will be wearing Nukem and Mrs Nukem (respectively - before the the wise cracks) badges at Conyers...:)

9. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Nukem;
    Our lips are sealed. ;P ;P ;P ;P ;P

10. glockNstein

glockNstein

Glen,
    "The Jersey Family"? .... Fuhgedaboutit!!!;f

By the way, "Howwwyuudooooinnn"?

11. GlockMom

GlockMom

Dan
    I would have to say this is one of the friendliest bunch of people I have met in a long time. Everyone that I have met has given me and my family a hearty hello and a warm welcome. At first, I felt intimadated by the expierence and caliber of other shooters, but I see everyone is treated in the same friendly manner whether you are top notch shooter or a novice.
    As far as a clique goes, all social organizations have them. I have seen them. I think this group is as far from a clique as you can get.

12. Lew-G17

Lew-G17

TrooperDan,

Statesville was my second GSSF match, with Richmond being the first. I can say that everyone I have encountered at a GSSF match was friendly and helpful (Especially at Richmond where I had that dear in the headlights look). Anyway I have not joined in the social activities yet, but only because of my schedule. I usually read the pre-match posts and the dinner announcement and plan to make it one day.

I think GSSF is a great way to experience competetive shooting and based on my experience would recommend it to anyone.

13. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

I to try and give a hand of friendship when ever I can, I met a cuple from WV that live about 3 hours from me that I followed to the range Sat am in Statesville and I felt bad not spending more time with them but with two boys to watch and all the friends that I wanted to say hi to and catch up with since that last time I saw them was Waldorf and swap storys ECT.
    GlockMom posted that she has never met a better group of people enjoying the same sport and right! and I agree but my problem is I will remember your face for ever but your name might take time so if you see me from one of the pics posted on GT stop me and say hi give me your email address or GlockTalk hadel.
    So come out to the next GSSF match close to you and see what it is all aoubt.

14. Thylacine

Thylacine

Hello everyone. Just thought I would toss out my opinion (and hopefully not get whacked by Fireglock again :) ) Incidentally I am Glockhp's younger, better shooting brother for those of you who know him.

Statesville '02 was my first match (and FYI my first time as RO, what a weekend) and I had a blast. Everyone was quite friendly and helpful. I was quite surprised at the friendliness of all the people I saw and met as well as the openness (sp?) most had for me to play with their toys (sweet race guns) as they waited at the 5 to G.

And we noticed The Void's idea about attaching GT sigs on some article. We are planning that for any other matches we attend.

Just thought I would put my opinion in and say thanks to everyone, and we at Team US of A hope to see you in Conyers and Anderson.

15. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

No whacks this time Thylacine! ;f It was nice to meet you. I don't know about the better looking but you can qualify as the larger brother! :)

16. GLOCKhp

GLOCKhp Proud American

Man, with family like Thylacine, who needs enemies!? Yes, he is my larger "little" brother, and yes, he smoked me at the match (my son has reminded me numerous times), but as FG implied, I am the better-looking one!;) Considering this was his first match, I thought he did outstanding (a mere .25 seconds from A class money!). We'll see if it was beginner's luck in a couple of weeks.

Considering your alleged historical nature, FG, I was impressed you remembered my name! ;f

I love GSSF for the comraderie. Danny, Jerry, and the rest of Team Sidearmor, not to mention the friendly nature of the ROs and the other competitors, really do make it seem like a family. It was good to see everybody I met at Richmond again, and it was good to meet new folks.

This was the first match for my 10-yr old son, DJ, too, and he can't wait till Conyers (even with a 10-hour drive). He pulled up the rear with an 851.55, but he still had fun and didn't seem to mind coming in last (considering he more than tripled the number of rounds he'd ever fired, I thought he did well). I really want to thank the ROs and everyone else for all the encouragement they gave him. That really helped when he was getting discouraged at the plates. We've got some work to do (BOTH of us), but I don't think he'll mind.

There were four of us ROing at Statesville, and we hope to RO at Conyers and Anderson on Saturday, so look for us there. And thanks to VOID for posting the pic -- according to DJ, it was AWESOME!

17. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

GSSF is all about friendship, fellowship, the sharing of ideas and safe competitive shooting. To me, the best part is the friendship and fellowship. Statesville 2002 was my worst shoting match in over two years, wherein I doubled my usual score. Still, I had a great time with old friends and with meeting new friends. This year was my 4th year at Richmond and Statesville, and later this month I will make my 4th 900 mile round trip to Conyers for my 18th GSSF match since May 1999. I am only going to enter one category at Conyers, which will allow me more time to mingle with the folks. I'll be easy to find on Saturday: Grey Sidearmor shirt, White Sidearmor hat, short, fat, old, ugly, bearded with glasses. My Blue Windstar now has license tags "GSSF-1" installed.:cool:

18. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

Now Coach, you forgot Friendly, Cheerful and Smiling!!!
    I too enjoy the Friday night "Socials" and the Saturday morning "fellowship breakfast",and now that Don At PC has retired AGAIN, the Saturday night "socials" are high on the priorty list.
    I would like to encourge all the GSSF'ers to come and join the "group" for the friendship and fellowship we all share with each other along the the good nature joking we share together!
    You Would Not Find A Friendlier Group Of Folks!!!!
    I'm looking forward to Conyers and meeting some more new GSSR'ers!
    Dan:cool:

Here's my "Team Sidearmor" Picture!

19. PHARAOH

PHARAOH Guest

I would like to chime in and say the trip to Stateville with Dan,Don,and Bobby for my first crack at a GSSF match was so much fun. I just may try to shoot more of them. I tryed to meet everyone I could. As a newbe to the sport the people are so friendly helping at every chance. I really did not feel like it was my first match. Every one made me feel at home. Thank you Team Sidearmor and family you made my first experiance one I will be able to look back on for years.

Pete
    :)