close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Friend charged by a bear this weekend

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by mpol777, Sep 27, 2004.

1. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

A couple of friends of mine were out working their dogs (airedales) and they picked up a bear. The dogs tracked it for 2.5-3 miles before it treed. It took my one friend about 30 mintutes to get up in the draw with the other guy about 15 min behind. It was a small male, about 220lbs. The bear must've caught his breath and decided he had enough of that tree and the dogs had lost interest. He climbed down and went after one of the dogs. When he decided there was no way he was going to catch an airedale he turned towards Tom. 4 shots of .40S&W put the guy down. The first three "paused" him, but it took the 4th, at 15 feet, through the neck/spine to ball him up.

There's been a lot of discussion about bear attacks. This isn't a perfect example since the bear had every reason to be surly and won't act the same way if you just happen across him as he would if you scared his butt up a tree. Whether the .40 is "enough gun" or not, in this case it was. Which doesn't prove much of anything except keeping your wits about you when things get nutty is darn important.

2. noway

noway

Q: working the dogss ?

Where you're intentions on working the dogs to tree a bear?

{This isn't a perfect example since the bear had every reason to be surly and won't act the same way if you just happen across him as he would if you scared his butt up a tree}

I agreed, the bear charging the dogs and humans is normal in this case, and I wouldn't consider it as posted by the title "friend Charge by bear". Bear was doing want it thought was right to survive or to get away.

His (bear) outcome was not very good. ;f

3. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

They were out the to get the new dogs some experience hunting/tracking alongside of the old timers and take some pictures. Bears and lions are the goal, this bear just didn't want to wait to have his portrait done. It is bear season, but it's still pretty warm out so this was catch and release. At least that was the plan.

4. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

mpol777--I agree totally.In the wilderness,or any serious situation,the best thing you can do is to keep your head,and figure out what to do next.It sounds like the people in the story did,and came out on top==good job guys.

5. vafish

vafish

I was going to jump all over your friend for shooting a bear out of season, but this changes things a lot.

I'd never say that the .40 S+W is the ultimate bear gun, but your friend has shown that what you hav on you is a lot better than what you left behind, and that shot placement is everything.

PS, What load was he using?

6. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

I was thinking the same thing in regards to shooting a bear that didn't deserve it. But since it is the season, good going.

I would have rather been carrying a 4" S&W 29 instead of a Glock .40.

Now, if you must carry a Glock, my G20 with the 6" barrel and some good reloads, that's another thing altogether.;)

7. Nicolai

Nicolai

I'm also curious.

8. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

9. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

155gr Speer Gold Dot handloads

10. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Glad those rounds worked!

Around Seattle black bear is supposed to be decent eating - they love blackberrys which grow all over the state.

Sweet meat.

11. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Down here they eat a lot of prickly pear fruit, juniper berries, acorns and manzanita berries. I've had bear in stew and chili, but my favorite was some bear enchiladas cooked up by this old mexican grandmother. Everything from scratch in an outdoor wood oven. Couldn't understand a word that woman said, but man could she cook. ;f