close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

FRIED EGGPLANT and EGGPLANT PARMESAN RECIPE

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Caretaker, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

MY PERSONAL HOMEMADE RECIPES FOR YOU ALL TO ENJOY AND TRY..... ENJOY!

FRIED EGGPLANT and EGGPLANT PARMESAN

INGREDIENTS:

(2) or (3) nice sized Purple Italian Eggplants Fresh peeled and sliced indo ¼” thick slices.
    Large Container of Seasoned Bread Crumbs (4C or Progresso Brand will work fine)
    2 Cups Olive Oil for deep frying Breaded Eggplant in a skillet
    4 to 6 Eggs beaten and seasoned with salt and pepper

Cooking Tip: Some people complain that fried Eggplant or Eggplant Parmesan repeats on them and causes acid reflux. If so, after you peeled and sliced your Eggplant into ¼” thick slices, lay them in a colander or large strainer and salt each piece and place colander full of salted Eggplant slices into a large boil to drain off what looks like a blackish/deep purple colored fluid which is actually the acids that are normally in Eggplant and can cause the Acid Reflux in those few people and will make you better enjoy the result and dish.

Cooking Process:

In large deep skillet, place your Olive Oil and bring to medium high heat. Takee each slice of the Eggplant and dredge into seasoned bread crumbs and then dip into beaten egg mixture and then back into seasoned bread crumbs. Gently shake off excess bread crumbs and place on cookie sheet. Take each breaded sliced Eggplant and fry till deep golden brown and crispy on both sides. Remove from skillet and let drain on paper towels or brown paper such as a paper sack from grocery store to drain off any excess oil from the frying.

This alone makes a great side dish to many Italian meals or accent to a good dinner.

BUT……….
    If you want to take it one step further and make it an Eggplant Parmesan dish… here is how:

EGGPLANT PARMESAN

INGREDIENTS:

Fried Crispy Eggplant Slices
    Sliced Fresh Mozzarella or Whole Milk Packaged Mozzarella grated or sliced.
    (Advice: When doing any kind of Parmesan Dish or using Mozzarella in a recipe where you want it to melt good. I do not like nor recommend pre-grated packaged Mozzarella for it does not melt well at all and pretty much hold to the same shape and consistency as it was in packge and doesn’t make for a good flavor or taste to a recipe you may be using Mozzarella in.
    ¼ Cup Grated Romano or Parmesan Cheese. Whichever you prefer. (DO not use that boxed KRAFT Brand Please!!!)
    Approximately 3 Quarts of Your Favorite Homemade Italian Tomato Sauce
    (Look at end of this recipe for My Personal “Italian Tomato Sauce”).
    Cooking Process:

In a large deep Casserole, place a layer of your favorite Homemade Italian Tomato Sauce or Mine…LOL…then lay a single layer of the sliced Fried Eggplant. Cover with thin slices of the Fresh or Whole Milk Mozzarella. Cover with layer of sauce and then repeat with another layer of the Fried Eggplant and Sliced Mozzarella and Cover the top with layer of Tomato Sauce. Sprinkle top with the Grated Parmesan or Romano Cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes depending on your oven. Let stand on counter to set for 15 minutes. Then Serve. Delicioso.

Bon Appetito.

Here is the My Personal Homemade “Italian tomato Sauce”

HOMEMADE ITALIAN TOMATO SAUCE

• 28 or 35 OUNCE WHOLE PEELED PLUM TOMATOES (Slightly Blended)
    • ½ ONION CHOPPED
    • 2 CLOVES FRESH GARLIC CHOPPED
    • 2 TABLESPOONS CHOPPED PARSLEY
    • 1 TABLESPOON OREGANO
    • 1 TABLESPOON BASIL
    • 1 TABLESPOON SUGAR
    • 2 TABLESPOONS OLIVE OIL
    • 1 TEASPOON SALT
    • ½ TEASPOON GROUND PEPPER
    • 1 TABLESPOON TOMATO PASTE

IN LARGE SAUCE/STOCK POT:
    SAUTE ONIONS IN OLIVE OIL TILL TRANSLUCENT/CLEAR, THEN ADD CHOPPED GARLIC AND COOK TILL LIGHTLY GOLDEN BROWN.
    THEN ADD BLENDED PLUM TOMATOES AND BRING TO BOIL, THEN TURN DOWN TO HEAVY SIMMER/SLIGHT RIPPLE.
    ADD TOMATO PASTE, OREGANO, PARSLEY, BASIL, SUGAR, SALT AND PEPPER. LET COOK FOR ½ HOUR AT STEADY RIPPLING BOIL.
    AT THIS POINT, YOU CAN ADD YOUR COOKED/BROWNED-OFF MEATBALLS, SAUSAGE, PORK CHOPS, SHORT RIBS OR GROUND BEEF TO IT TO MAKE YOUR MEAT SAUCE. COOK AT A STEADY LIGHT SIMMER FOR ANOTHER 45 MINUTES TO AN HOUR LONGER TILL DONE.

YIELDS APPROXIMATELY (1) ONE QUART WITHOUT ADDED MEAT.

SPECIAL NOTE: ABOVE LIST OF INGREDIENTS IS JUST A STANDARD TO FOLLOW AND WILL BE NEEDED TO BE ADJUSTED TO THE AMOUNT YOUR WANTING TO MAKE OR IS NEEDED FOR WHATEVER AMOUNT OR FOR WHATEVER AMOUNT OF PEOPLE YOUR ARE COOKING FOR.

BON APPETITO.

from your culinery chef and friend, kevin

:) ;f

2. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

not frying the slices in olive oil!

Slicing the eggplant in the long direction makes things easier.

I use ricotta cheese in mine also.Years ago I used to drive 200 or so miles to eat my father in-laws eggplant.

I always make 2 pans so that the next day I can make sandwiches with the cold sliced eggplant. Good bread,mayo makes it a great sandwich.

3. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

mmmmmmmmmmm..sounds good. with the riccotta makes a great veggeterian dish lazagna that is truly awsome to anyone not just a avid vegeterian...as for frying it in olive oil?...yes i do, but most people dont want to pay the extra money it costs for olive oil and use a more inexpensive substitute of canola or vegetable oil. but i use only olive oil in my cookin. i got two grades of olive oil i use...Virgin olive ioil to cook with.....Extra virgin olive oil for salads or direct into a dish. ...gettin hungry thinking aqbout that eggplant dish now. it makes ther best "out of the fridge" sandwich in the world like you said. thanks for the comment. best to you.
    your friend kevin:) :) :)