close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Friday at the Track

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jasonvp, Apr 30, 2012.

1. jasonvp

jasonvp Kantre Member Lifetime Member

Hey gang -

I did another assault on Summit Point Raceway last Friday. My write-up of it is here. (no login required). There are work-safe vids included in the post as well. The second session is probably the most exciting one. :)

jas

2. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Pretty sweet videos.

You really don't seem to be pushing it very hard (lots of short shifts, no standing on the brakes, etc). It seemed pretty smooth. But it seemed a lot more cars really weren't going that hard at all. Was it just an overly non-agressive group (I watched part of session 2)?

I do have to say that you were good about not passing in corners on an open track day. Sometimes, the faster drivers create contact by passing corners or trying to push the slower car faster than the driver can handle. Just curious, you were always passing on the right (the times I saw). Why is it that people aren't moving right to signify that they are giving you an open to pass?

One day you need to take a trip to the n-ring....

3. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

4. jasonvp

Thanks. I enjoy editing them as much as I do recording them. :)

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. In order to go fast, ya gotta go slow. I generally don't push my car that hard because it's just not worth it. I'm not winning a prize at the end; no points, no trophy, nothing. And it's my daily driver, so I really would like to be able to drive it home at the end of the day. I learned a while ago that pushing it down the big straight (half mile) is good for a nice, exciting high-speed rip. But at what cost? The cost is trying to slow down enough to make the turn, and not stuff the car into the gravel trap.

Why bother? When I slowed down on the main straight, my lap times dropped. Dramatically. I made up all the time in the fun part of the track.

For better, for worse: the attendees' skill sets range pretty widely. So too does their attitude about driving on the track. Some are there to learn and push it a little. Some seem like they're just out for a Sunday afternoon drive (on a Friday).

There were a couple of guys out there that gave me some trouble during session 2. One was a well-driven Bimmer Z: modded for track duty with a big wing, sticky tires and who knows what else. Another was a guy in a 5th generation Corvette so highly modified the list of things he hasn't done to his car is shorter than what he has. I peeled the Corvette driver off of my butt earlier in the session, but he caught up with me again later and I had to let him pass me. He and his car were just way too fast for me; he can turn 1:18s on that car on that track which, for Summit, is blisteringly quick.

It wasn't an open day but rather an HPDE. You'll note that no passes happened without point-bys. And I did pass in the corners quite a few times, but I'm careful when I do it.

The rules are: the overtaking driver moves off-line. The driver being overtaken stays put and points the faster car by on whatever side he wants the faster car to pass him.

It sounds like fun, but I have a better chance at winning the lottery than I do going to Germany. And I don't play. ;)

jas

5. jasonvp

Did you call the BSR main office and check on whether the waiting list had opened up? I was wondering if you'd made it up there or not...

jas

6. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

I was told if a spot opened up I'd get a phone call....never did.

7. jasonvp

I see. I've never been on their waiting list, so I dunno how well they manage that. The Group 1 sessions were pretty full, so I imagine they didn't actually have any room. It was also the Friday before a big NASA weekend there, so the participation was a lot heavier than usual.

Since you're driving a Ford, you can sign up for the Shelby American 50th Anniversary event if you want. It's the Wednesday and Thursday of Memorial Day week. There was a brief window when they had registrations open to all makes and models by mistake, and I registered. So I'm going to be there to terrorize some Fords. :supergrin:

Click here and then follow the link to the May 30-31 event if you're interested. I'll bet they have room.

jas

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  8. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

There's no way I can take a Wednesday and Thursday off, plust I'm not interested in making the drive twice, two days in a row....as appealing such a collection of Ford muscle sounds.

Right now I'm looking at the July 7th SATT Group 1 session. Didn't you say that the Summit Point Circuit is the one I should get onto?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  9. jasonvp

I don't think you need to sign up for both days. You should contact the Shelby folk and see if they can do a one-day deal...

The SATT is done on Shenendoah, and I don't prefer that track at all. I'm much more a fan of the main track (Summit).

jas

10. OfficerChris

OfficerChris L.A. fanboy

very nice. I joined a friend as a co driver two weeks ago in his 997 gt3 cup Porsche on the German Hockenheim during a non race event. He made a short video if you are interested. Looks like the corvette is quite fast, but way too soft. Nonethless very nice to watch, thanks.

11. OfficerChris

OfficerChris L.A. fanboy

oh believe me, its worth every cent you would have to spend. There is nothing like the nürburg ring on this planet.

12. kneedragger45

kneedragger45

NICE!! I have a Trackday Weekend (Motorcycles) coming up May 12th-13th. I Love Summit Point Main!!