Frezzing Veggies?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by crater, Dec 16, 2005.

1. crater

crater NRA Member

O.K. I think I have been throwing money out with the garbage. I love to cook, (I did not say I was any good) but I have I always thrown away left over's from cooking a meal. Such as onion, bell peppers, carrots, celery ,etc.(I just found out that a stock of celery is more than one stick;Q ) maybe now the food will taste the way it should.

Anyway, does anybody freeze the above left overs, and if so, how and for how long?;a

Thanks in advance..;c

2. Sm0key369

Sm0key369

3. chip00

chip00

In a cooking course the instructor wanted us to save the unused onion, celery, carrots and so on like you have for making stock. You can buy them frozen so you can freeze them but they may not have the same texture when thawed so use them to make cooking stock which is thinned in a blender or food processor and maybe run thru a strainer. Add chicken and noodles and you have soup.

4. noway

noway

I freeze unused veggies mainly carrots. I buy the big bag of fancy cuts carrots and seperate them into smaller serving packages,removes the air and freeze them. I sometime use a vaccum sealer and seal them before freezing.

5. FlaChef

FlaChef Steyroid

the expanding of the ice crystals will ruin the tissue structure of MOST veggies, basicly the higher the water content the more the damage.

they will be flat tasting and have unpleasant consistancies. They will be usefull for stocks and purees, but only as a suppliment to fresh.

Alternately making rubs, pastes, oils, vinegars, etc is a useful outlet for a lot of produce.