close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

French Coffee Press??

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by mrmatt, Sep 29, 2004.

1. mrmatt

mrmatt

I just purchased a french Coffee press. I have one problem, the filter dosen't filter very very fine coffee grounds. It is almost like sand and it alway ends up at the bottom of my coffee cup. Is this normal of french preses or can this me avoided? I grind my own coffee and leave it very course so the filter(press) will catch most of it.

2. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

The French Press is intended only for a very coarse grind. Some residue still gets through but not too bad if you use the correct grind.:)

3. c-mama

c-mama Moderator

What hapuna said.

Because the press brews the coffee for so long, the grounds should be a bit courser. I use medium grind for my beans.

The shorter the brew time, the finer the grounds.

;)

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

As the others have said, a few grounds get through. I fresh grind my beans course as I use them too.

5. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

4 minutes in the hot water, no longer!

;c

6. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

I actually grind my coffeebeans rather fine for use in my french press. I enjoy the 'coffeechocolate' sludge at the bottome of every cup! It has a rather chocolate-like flavor to me. Of course I brew it strong, and use good French Roast beans...when I can't afford the good Sumatran or Sulawesi coffees.

7. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

Do you dry and snort the stuff in bottom under the strainer too???;f

8. JPinAZ

JPinAZ

If you want to be able to afford them all the time, look into roasting your own. You can get very high quality beans for around $5/pound. One good shop for purchasing/reference is Sweet Maria's.

9. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

Nah, but my 3yr old & I have been known to scrape out the bottom of the coffee cup & eat it!;P

JP, thanks for the beans tip, but where would one acquire a roaster? Or do you use the oven?

10. JPinAZ

JPinAZ

You can spend anywhere between $50 & $1000 on a dedicated coffee roaster. Or you can do like I did & go to the thrift store & spend $5 on an old popcorn popper. You can also use one of those stove top hand crank popcorn poppers. The Sweet Maria's page I linked to has a section on home roasting & tips for roasters.

It will probably take you a few batches to get the hang of it, but once you've got it figured out, you'll never go back to the preroasted stuff. The difference in taste between something you roasted a couple days ago & something that's been sitting in the supermarket (or even *$, heaven forbid) is amazing. Heck, even the difference between what you roasted a week ago & two days ago is noticable (and usually not for the better).