Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Tin Kicker
10,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we're looking at about 1/2" of ice covering everything right now...with a predicted additional 2/3"-1" of ice tonight.:shocked:

I have two cherry trees that I'm worried will be crushed.:crying:

I'm wondering if breaking out the garden hose and periodically spraying the trees down would be effective? I assume someone out there has done this at some point...what were your results? (The trees are relatively small...~6').

Also, the Satellite Dish is covered with ice and we have no TV. So perhaps a spritz will work there as well?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
If ice is sticking to exposed areas, the ambient temp must be above freezing..Adding water would just add more ice...We have ice storms pretty often, really not much you can do for the trees, if the ice becomes too heavy the limbs will snap...Satellite dish ? maybe some windshield wiper de-icer might help ...

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
I can't imagine that would help anything.

·
Get off my lawn
42,701 Posts
In related news: Contrary to popular belief, flamethrowers do NOT put out house fires. More at 11.

:rofl:

Maybe you could dip them in rocksalt.

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
I think it would be hard to spray enough of the tree to de-ice it before the newly-added water freezes back onto it. Can you put some weatherproof lights underneath to gently keep it warmer than freezing?

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I'd use a heatgun on the dish. If the trees are only 6ft tall, maybe tie them to a piece of pipe or something to keep them from breaking over?

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to cut some lengths of 2x lumber to prop up the more vulnerable limbs.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
If mother nature wants to prune your trees, she will.

At six foot can you cover them with a tarp. Then get inside the tarp and prop up the sagging limbs. You can't warm them up very much above freezing while trying to get the ice off because it will harm the tree.

·
Registered
32,963 Posts
Water tends to freeze when the air temperature is below freezing.

Unless you are adding a steady stream of warm water until the air temperature rises above freezing, I don't think it will help.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
How big are they? If they are nice trees, bite the bullet and prune them way back to save the larger limbs. The more you cut back, the greater the chances of saving the big limbs. Your tree will look like a skeleton but at least it won't be broken in half or spit down the middle.

I went through a terrible ice storm back in 2000. If I had know what I know now and had a little time to prep I'd cut every tree back to the main limbs. They will shoot back out this spring and fill itself in again in no time. Start chopping or you may loose them all. Ice sucks.

·
Getting older every day!
2,944 Posts
Tarp them. If ice starts to build up on the tarp you may be able to break it off as it accumulates. If not a Colman lantern may put off enough heat to melt it without harming the tree. :dunno:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts