Freezer Won't Go Below 10 F -- What To Do?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 4MUL8R, Jan 3, 2010.

1. 4MUL8R

4MUL8R

GE upright freezer, March 2001 vintage, frost-free won't cool below 10 deg F. Setpoint is supposedly -5 to +5 F. Won't change temperature as control knob is rotated to colder and colder setpoints.

Have verified that coils are indeed frost-free.

If there is insufficient refrigerant, can it be refilled to the proper level?

2. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Where is the freezer? Not in the garage, I hope.

'Drew

3. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Just call a GE tech out. It happened to me last week and he replaced the thermastat on mine. Works perfect now.

4. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Are the heat exhanger coils on the back of the unit full of dust-bunnies? These are just as important as the ones inside the freezer. Does it get enough air flow to get rid of the heat (remember..no such thing as "cold"..it's an "absense of heat" that keeps things cool, and your freezer just pumps the heat from the inside of the box to the outside) The coils on the back are where the refrigerant gives off that heat to atmosphere, and if dirty, you lose some of the heat transfer ability.

And most important...give it some TIME and keep the door shut! Takes a while for a unit to get down those last few degrees.

Hope it keeps on working and you don't lose a bunch of food......or whatever/whoever:wow: you have stashed in the freezer!!

Or...maybe it's just a local case of "global warming"..:supergrin:

5. mwelch8404

mwelch8404

This. It should really be done at lest a couple times a year.

6. THEPOPE

THEPOPE Nibb

Mine did this, earlier this year, couldn't get down to the proper temp, eventually.....ice-maker sits in front of a thermostat that controls the temp....

replaced, and works fine now.

Did the dusting first, in the back of the unit, and behind the electric control panels, no go....but needed to anyway.

"........shufflin' off to Buffalo......."....I am Out ...:cool:

7. 4MUL8R

4MUL8R

No condenser coils noted, except in the unit schematic. The lines appear for a few feet under the unit, as the discharge line from the compressor. The line goes upward into the cabinet, then comes back down underneath the unit and into a drier. No "radiator" whatsoever.

The unit is in a garage at 60 F winter, unknown summer temp.

8. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

Well...given that you've never seen the condenser coils...it sounds like they are even more suspect...especially if you've never vacuumed or blown them clean on a 2001 model. Maybe you've got some type of decorative panel over them but they've gotta be there somewhere and they need air flow. Basic cycle of refrigeration link. If you don't get good condensing, you won't get good cooling on the evap coils....and that can screw up the whole 'latent heat' deal. Take a closer look, maybe grab a screw driver and if you've got the schematics, it's a cheap and easy fix if this is the problem.

Lots of luck and hope it works out for you! Just be careful if you're scared of mice...don't ask me how I know...but those little critters seem to love the nice warm area around the coils.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...mage_result&resnum=3&ct=image&ved=0CA4Q9QEwAg

9. community

community Member

go buy a whirlpool.

10. Z71bill

Z71bill

I had GE out a few months ago to fix the clothes dryer - it was 362 days since purchase - 1 year warranty - :cool:

My stuff normally breaks down at 368 days -

It was just a start switch - the bill was $262 :wow:

But since I still had 3 days left on the warranty it was no charge.

IIRC the dryer - when new was only around $350 -

My GE microwave turntable stopped turning - it is way past warranty - we looked at a few and could not find one we liked - I went on line and found the motor - it was $20 free shipping -

Try doing a search on E-Bay - :dunno:

http://cgi.ebay.com/GE-defrost-ther...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a54743e2d

$8.49 delivered - may be worth a shot -

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  11. Z71bill

Z71bill

I noticed while looking for my microwave turntable motor - the part I needed was also used on Frigidaire and Whirlpool - so I am guessing - if they use the exact same parts they are made at the same factory. :dunno:

When I searched for a GE thermostat this is what I found

GE defrost thermostat WR50X55 NEW OEM!
    Also Fits other manufactures like :Frigidaire part# 5303917629, And Maytag / Whirlpool part#10442411!