Glock Talk banner

Freedom ammo, see it yourself

1133 Views 15 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  rock_castle
I took one of the remaining freedom 9mm 115gr boxes and check size in compare to new Winchester White Box 9mm 115gr. See it yourself before jumping on Freedom deals.

Specs on 9mm Luger ammo: Overall Length=29.69mm

Box:

Winchester:

Avg in this Freedom box:

Horrible Freedom round example, 1 in box:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2,316 Posts
mbjku, "I took one of the remaining freedom 9mm 115gr boxes and check size in compare to new Winchester White Box 9mm 115gr. See it yourself before jumping on Freedom deals. "

Inches conversion:
Winchester - 29.54 mm = 1.162"
Freedom - 29.54 mm = 1.151"

Actually these two are very close, the third picture is a "bullet set back" example. This can happen more in auto pistols than in revolvers but still not a real common thing - under crimping is usually the culprit. Not really something you would like to see out of a box of ammo right off the shelf though! That maybe just bad QC.

Different manufacturers do produce different OAL's (Over All Length's) from their ammo products. Let me give you some examples I have on record - keep in mind these numbers are what they list on the outside of their box.

Federal 9mm 115g FMJ RN "Champion" Factory Ammunition - 1.150"
Remington 9mm 115g FMJ RN "Green/White" box Factory Ammunition - 1.110"
Winchester 9mm 115g FMJ RN "White box" Factory Ammunition - 1.160"

You do bring up an excellent point about checking your ammo thoroughly (whether it is your own reloads or factory ammmo) before racking some into your pistol and sending it down the range.

· I'm your huckleberry....
18,116 Posts
I hate to see that because I use a ton of Freedom Munitions ammo and I've had, out of 1000's of rounds in 4-5 different calibers, 1 that's ONE SINGLE round fail to fire. That's all! 9mm, 38spl, 45, 380, 357 all have been flawless. I tend to cut them some slack because although that 3rd picture is quite stark and illustrates one screwed up round, I doubt I wouldn't have noticed that one as obvious as it was. The others with thousandth of an inch discrepancies, maybe not! But do you think they would have caused problems?

· Registered
2,316 Posts
I hate to see that because I use a ton of Freedom Munitions ammo and I've had, out of 1000's of rounds in 4-5 different calibers, 1 that's ONE SINGLE round fail to fire. That's all! 9mm, 38spl, 45, 380, 357 all have been flawless. I tend to cut them some slack because although that 3rd picture is quite stark and illustrates one screwed up round, I doubt I wouldn't have noticed that one as obvious as it was. The others with thousandth of an inch discrepancies, maybe not! But do you think they would have caused problems?
Most likely not. I agree, this may have been the 1 in a thousand that slipped through the cracks. I measure all factory ammo I buy (which isn't a lot) and from batch to batch I can come up with some real differences. However most all the ammo I have ever bought, falls into a clear range. If they claim their ammo measures 1.160", most all with fall +/- .003 or .005 either way. As far as chambering, firing and bullet performance... that means very little if anything at all.

· Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,206 Posts
I can't think of an ammunition manufacturer that I haven't seen a problem from. I guess this means I am old.

From what I can tell, Issues happen when they stop and start the line. Once everything is running, there is consistency until something breaks or they run out of ...or ....

· Enslaved in IL
5,775 Posts
mbjku, "I took one of the remaining freedom 9mm 115gr boxes and check size in compare to new Winchester White Box 9mm 115gr. See it yourself before jumping on Freedom deals. "

Inches conversion:
Winchester - 29.54 mm = 1.162"
Freedom - 29.54 mm = 1.151"

Actually these two are very close, the third picture is a "bullet set back" example. This can happen more in auto pistols than in revolvers but still not a real common thing - under crimping is usually the culprit. Not really something you would like to see out of a box of ammo right off the shelf though! That maybe just bad QC.

Different manufacturers do produce different OAL's (Over All Length's) from their ammo products. Let me give you some examples I have on record - keep in mind these numbers are what they list on the outside of their box.

Federal 9mm 115g FMJ RN "Champion" Factory Ammunition - 1.150"
Remington 9mm 115g FMJ RN "Green/White" box Factory Ammunition - 1.110"
Winchester 9mm 115g FMJ RN "White box" Factory Ammunition - 1.160"

You do bring up an excellent point about checking your ammo thoroughly (whether it is your own reloads or factory ammmo) before racking some into your pistol and sending it down the range.
Taper crimp isn't what holds a bullet in place on an auto loader caliber, it's case tension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,706 Posts
I bought some Freedom .380 reloads last summer, they were really hot- both the heaviest bullet and the highest velocity of any .380 (16 types) I've tried. Why beat up the gun with reloaded practice ammo that costs almost as much as new purchased online?

So I tried reloading Extreme 100 gr plated FP bullets, the same bullet as what comes in the Freeedom reloads. Just happened to be weighing a half-dozen to see how consistent the weights were, and discovered one that was 115 grains instead of 100. That would have been a very serious overload with the normal powder charge, and the overweight bullet was so close in length to the normal ones that I handled it several times without noticing the difference.

I now look elsewhere for my practice ammo.

· Registered
42 Posts
Yesterday I was shooting some WWB 115 grain. I had one round that wouldn't load into battery. Racked it out & loaded it back into the mag. Tried loading it again & it wouldn't go into battery again. I took it back home & compared it to some other rounds from the box & discovered the case was a little longer than the other rounds I compared it to. The slightly longer case was preventing the gun from going into battery.

· Registered
10,527 Posts
I haven't had any issues with the Freedom Munitions Reman that I've shot, and I really like them for cheap plinking rounds, until I can afford to start reloading my own stuff.

· M62/76
14,812 Posts
I've fired between 7-8k rounds of reman 9mm from Freedom over the years and have never had a problem. However, the few boxes of reman .45 I've had from them had several with the bullet set back into the case.

· You local friendly Skynet dealer
13,968 Posts
Went through 1000 rounds Freedom 9mm without measuring any. Had no problems with the ammo. Call me foolish. Oops!

· Registered
10,527 Posts
Went through 1000 rounds Freedom 9mm without measuring any. Had no problems with the ammo. Call me foolish. Oops!
Life is boring without a little risk and excitement. :whistling:

Reactions: Paul53

· With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,892 Posts
I've shot 5 or 6 boxes of their 9mm and 38 Special without an issue. Good stuff at a great price!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.